Smart Key Won't Unlock Doors?

:
2010 Mazda 6s Grand Touring
Hi all. I am new to the forum. I searched for smart key problems but couldn't find a thread that specifically addressed this problem. I have a 2010 Mazda 6s Grand Touring. The smart key (push button start, not switch blade fob) does not lock/unlock doors or open trunk. When I press the button on the outside door handle I get about 10 rapid beeps from the car. The car also consistently beeps whenever the driver's door is open. I also cannot lock the doors with the button inside on driver or passenger door when the car is off, it locks then immediately unlocks all doors in the car. The only way to lock all the doors is to slide the key out and insert in door handle and manually lock once outside of the car. The push start works fine though, I don't have to insert the key into the ignition to push the button. The small red light on the key does light up whenever I press a button. I switched out the battery but no luck. Does anyone know what this problem is? I don't mind going to the dealership to get it repaired but I want to know what I'm walking into so they don't try to get over on me. Any help is appreciated!

Hi Ceric, thanks for responding, but no, the other fob is not in the car, it's on my husband's key ring.

The other possibilities:
1. one of the 3 outside sensors is bad. (2 in front doors, 1 near the trunk)
2. maybe the ECU is bad. However, you can start the car. So, I am guessing #1.

Can you lock and unlock from the passenger side?

No, I cannot unlock any doors or open the trunk by pressing the buttons on the fob. The only way to lock/unlock doors is to slide the physical key out and insert it into the keyhole on the driver door. The trunk however will open if the fob is near it and I press the button on the actual trunk near the license plate. Maybe its the sensors?

***Update*** Took the car to the dealership to have factory recalled airbag inflator replaced and went ahead and had a full electrical diagnostic performed. Found out it is a faulty passenger rear door actuator. The car can't tell that door is closed so it won't lock with the fob. There is no indicator on the instrument panel showing a door is ajar. The part has been ordered and I'm waiting for it to be replaced. I was warned however that that is just the first indicator and all of them in each door could actually need replacing but it is impossible to tell until each is replaced one at a time and the problem still persists. *Fingers crossed this is the only one*

OP having the same problem as you

Have a 2010 Mazda 6 GT with the smart key, just bought it used, came with two sets of keys, replaced the keyfob batteries, car starts fine, trunk opens with proximity key, doors will NOT unlock/alarm will not go off, and every time you open the drivers door there's a beeping that goes off which makes me think something making the car think the key is in according to other Mazda forums, the only problem is with the smart key / push to start mechanism there is no key in the actual dash so not sure where the issue is coming from .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the update to my problem. After the rear passenger door actuator was replaced I was told the driver door actuator also needed tk be replaced. After replacing that key still not working. Then I was told the body contol module needed to be replaced. I was told they work hand in hand and one probably shorted the other but they're not sute which on went out first. The estimate for the part alone was $591.79(not including labor) and at that point I declined. I'd already spent about $280 per actuator. So my key is still not working at this moment :-( Hopefully this helps!

Hi, I am wondering if you ever got this resolved.
I just picked up a 2010 Grand Touring with push button start and have exactly the same issue.
Beeps when drivers door is open
Button on door just beeps doesn’t lock or unlock
Buttons on fob don’t lock or unlock.
Thanks

No, I never got it repaired. Every time I thought about spending $600+ on it I thought of other things I could spend it on, like a weekend at the beach or something lol. But maybe that price has gone down since it was practically 2 years ago. The dealership seemed pretty confident that it was the body control module after we had replaced the door actuators. At this point the car is 10 years old and I don't plan on investing the money into it to fix that particular problem. My son will be 16 next year and I'll probably give the car to him. First cars are supposed to be a little crappy, right :)? I hope you're able to get your problem fixed though!

Thanks that’s good to know.
I actually just bought this for my son who is turning 16 next month and other than this it seems really clean and in nice shape
(Maybe too nice for a 16 year old 😃)
E73A5B19-2D30-41BB-BD7D-34C0EF777C86.jpeg

Its likely the steering lock. Open the cover to where you would stick the emergency key in, and try to put it in there. If it doesn't stick and falls out, a previous owner must have tried to turn the key and broke a piece of it.

I'm 99% sure this is the problem. I haven't gotten this fixed yet on my '10 GT, but planning to soon.

(See the left side is broken as it's not supposed to turn)

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is not the problem for me. I've stuck my key in there plenty of times to charge it. I was told to do this at the dealership when I bought it if the push to start wasn't working. I've done it several times and its worked every time. There's nothing stuck inside.

Back