Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Oil Pressure Idiot Light

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Question Oil Pressure Idiot Light

Does anyone know at what level the low engine oil causes the oil pressure light to illuminate in a 2017 CX-5 under "normal operation"?

• Yes, it indicates low pressure, not level.
    • Yes, if the light's on, it's not "normal operation".
    • Yes, one must check the level and not rely on the light to tell them anything [except a failure].
    • I'm not asking for speculation or opinions... I'm asking if anyone actually knows.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

The owners manual is a great first read. Ed

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

If you had read it, Ed, you would know it doesn't mention level, thanks.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

It's not based on level at all..it's based on pressure to a switch. But it's not a regular oil p sensor thats reads constant psi like on some older cars. You can get an oil blip because of oil starvation during some extreme maneuvering or something with adequate oil. I'll look in the workshop manual at home.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Thanks, Chris. I guess I didn't phrase that very well. I know it's an oil pressure idiot light.

I just want to know how much oil would be in the system if you were going down a straight, smooth road at a constant speed and the light went off due to the low pressure caused by the low oil level.

Fer instance, if it's 2 qts low, will it necessarily light up? 2.5?

I'm just curious.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Thanks, Chris. I guess I didn't phrase that very well. I know it's an oil pressure idiot light.

I just want to know how much oil would be in the system if you were going down a straight, smooth road at a constant speed and the light went off due to the low pressure caused by the low oil level.

Fer instance, if it's 2 qts low, will it necessarily light up? 2.5?

I'm just curious.
    That I don't know. The manual doesn't detail the operation of the switch as such.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

It will be when the oil pump starts picking up air instead of returned oil. The person I sold my miata to did not check the oil or change it until her father checked it a lot later and it would not even register on the dipstick but was still running fine. I think it is way low as the pump pickup is designed to float to near the bottom of the pan...

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast GJ-Molestor's Avatar

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Quote Originally Posted by GAXIBM View Post
    It will be when the oil pump starts picking up air instead of returned oil. The person I sold my miata to did not check the oil or change it until her father checked it a lot later and it would not even register on the dipstick but was still running fine. I think it is way low as the pump pickup is designed to float to near the bottom of the pan...
    Not registering on the dipstick means the engine is at about 1.5quarts low or more. The oil pressure light will typically only come on when there is about a quart left in the crankcase. It could also come on if you have severely neglected your oil changes for a long period of time. Basically, when you see that light it's almost always too late for the motor and you will certainly get some sort of audible warning that oil is needed long before the light comes on.

2017 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    Not registering on the dipstick means the engine is at about 1.5quarts low or more. The oil pressure light will typically only come on when there is about a quart left in the crankcase. It could also come on if you have severely neglected your oil changes for a long period of time. Basically, when you see that light it's almost always too late for the motor and you will certainly get some sort of audible warning that oil is needed long before the light comes on.
    Sorry but where are the facts to support this statement. I’ve trawled the Mazda tech info and it isn’t published so have purposely avoided making a subjective comment.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Sorry but where are the facts to support this statement. Iíve trawled the Mazda tech info and it isnít published so have purposely avoided making a subjective comment.
    Facts? He don't need no stinkin' facts!!