Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: MirrorTap for 2018 CX9 GT help?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX9 GT Crystal Blue

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    47

    MirrorTap for 2018 CX9 GT help?

    Does anyone know the correct mirror wires to tap into for a radar detector? I am having trouble getting my meter into the pins to test. So tiny and tight! If not I guess I'll keep trying using an old not functioning radar detector. I've searched the forums and google but others have had similar issues.

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX9 GT Crystal Blue

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    47
    Ok. I got it to work. Sort of. It works and turns off when the ignition is off, but the homelink light stays on while the ignition is on. I don't think it did that before. I'll keep trying tomorrow. The first time I tested it I forgot to plug the mirror back in and got all kinds of error messages on the dash. That was kind of scary.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Does anyone know the correct mirror wires to tap into for a radar detector? I am having trouble getting my meter into the pins to test. So tiny and tight! If not I guess I'll keep trying using an old not functioning radar detector. I've searched the forums and google but others have had similar issues.
    I have a 2018 CX-9.

    In the rearview mirror harness the black center wire is ground and the correct hot wire is the striped one right next to it.

    With this configuation, the radar detector comes on only when the car starts. Reason I mention this, there's another striped color wire in the harness that powers the radar detector constantly.

    I used needle nose pliers to hold the metal tips themselves and push them into the bottom of the harness holes.

    I kept thinking I might eff the job up and void the warranty but it works great. Looks like a custom job too.
    Last edited by Fruitwolf; 01-11-2018 at 10:30 PM.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX9 GT Crystal Blue

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    47
    Thanks- I just moved them around and It worked. For an instant then it stopped. Upon checking the mirror tap wire broke at the tap. I'll have to try the next size tap up but I am not sure it will fit.

    Left to right. I put the black tap on wire 3(3rd position) and the red tap on wire 4 (5th position).

    Edit: NO that one was always on.

    Which wires did you connect to? Does your harness look like mine? 2018 GT 4 wires in harness and 5 possible positions.
    Left to right in pic
    1-Blue with black stripe, 2-Black with blue stripe, 3-Black, 4-open space, 5-Black with white stripe.

    with black tap in position 3 and red tap in position 5, the radar detector is alway on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bluechip; 01-12-2018 at 09:46 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX9 GT Crystal Blue

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    47
    Ok, I got the slightly bigger taps to fit with the pliers- Thanks.

    What worked for me was black tap in position 3, red tap in position 1. The same as I originally tried above. What concerned me was the homelink light always being on, which I had never remembered being on before. Slap to the head! In all of the moving the mirror around I had accidentally pressed the on/off switch for the self dimming feature. That's why the light was on.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    110
    Evidently Bluechip, I'm too stoopid to post a simple iPhone photo in the forum, even after uploading it to the site, so....

    With the rear view harness plugged in and looking at the back of the mirror from L to R,

    - The middle (3rd) hole with the black wire is where the black MirrorTap lead is.
    - To the immediate right of that, (4th hole) is where the red MirrorTap lead is plugged in.

    Sorry for the late info, sounds like you're good!

    The Blendmount and MirrorTap enable a great position for my 9500ix.

    (The harness pic might be in an album in my profile)

  7. #7
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    206
    Hey Fruitwolf, to upload a pic to the site and quote it in a reply, I've found that the easiest way is to:

    1. Click on the Go Advanced button below the Quick Reply text box at the bottom of the page.

    2. On the next page, scroll down to Additional Options and click on the Manage Attachments button.

    3. In the window that pops up, click on the Add Files button in the top right corner, then click on the Choose File button. Browse to the photo and click Open.

    4. Click on the Upload button under the filename. If you get an error here, the photo might be too large. Use MSPaint to reduce the image size if necessary, then repeat step 3.

    5. Your photo should now appear in the Home section of this window. Drag it to the Attachments section just below.

    6. Click on the Insert Inline button at the bottom of the window. You'll be taken back to the Reply to Thread page, where you'll see this (replace the parentheses at the ends with square brackets):

    (ATTACH=CONFIG]218158[/ATTACH)

    7. Now, when you post the reply, you'll see a clickable link that will take you to the photo that was attached.

    To make the photo just show up instead of having to click it:

    1. Click on the link described in step 7 above.

    2. Copy the URL.

    3. Edit your original post, replacing the ATTACH code with the following (again, use square brackets instead of parentheses):

    (IMG]PasteYourURLHere[/IMG)

    4. Save your edits.


    Alternatively, if you've already uploaded the photo to the site, just go to your album, copy the URL, and use the IMG tags to post it. It's a very tedious process, but it does work. Hope that helps!

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX9 GT Crystal Blue

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    47
    Fruitwolf- so you tapped into the empty socket? That is if we are looking from the same orientation. I didn't even think to try that one. It would have been much easier to fit.

    As to pics, I've never had any issues posting pics to other forums but this one appears to require a lot of jumping through hoops.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Hey Fruitwolf, to upload a pic to the site and quote it in a reply, I've found that the easiest way is to:

    1. Click on the Go Advanced button below the Quick Reply text box at the bottom of the page.

    2. On the next page, scroll down to Additional Options and click on the Manage Attachments button.

    3. In the window that pops up, click on the Add Files button in the top right corner, then click on the Choose File button. Browse to the photo and click Open.

    4. Click on the Upload button under the filename. If you get an error here, the photo might be too large. Use MSPaint to reduce the image size if necessary, then repeat step 3.

    5. Your photo should now appear in the Home section of this window. Drag it to the Attachments section just below.

    6. Click on the Insert Inline button at the bottom of the window. You'll be taken back to the Reply to Thread page, where you'll see this (replace the parentheses at the ends with square brackets):

    (ATTACH=CONFIG]218158[/ATTACH)

    7. Now, when you post the reply, you'll see a clickable link that will take you to the photo that was attached.

    To make the photo just show up instead of having to click it:

    1. Click on the link described in step 7 above.

    2. Copy the URL.

    3. Edit your original post, replacing the ATTACH code with the following (again, use square brackets instead of parentheses):

    (IMG]PasteYourURLHere[/IMG)

    4. Save your edits.


    Alternatively, if you've already uploaded the photo to the site, just go to your album, copy the URL, and use the IMG tags to post it. It's a very tedious process, but it does work. Hope that helps!
    Many thanks sm1ke! Thats a lot of steps. I'll try to post a pic soon when I get back to the desktop.

    Other forums I've been in were much easier to attach photos.

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Fruitwolf- so you tapped into the empty socket? That is if we are looking from the same orientation. I didn't even think to try that one. It would have been much easier to fit.

    As to pics, I've never had any issues posting pics to other forums but this one appears to require a lot of jumping through hoops.
    Hey Bluechip, I'm wondering if the Signature and the GT have different wiring harnesses.

    In mine, both ground and hot sockets (hole 3 and 4 from l to r) already have a wire in them, none are empty.

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX9 GT Crystal Blue

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    47
    Same harness but maybe the Sig has more overhead led accent lighting. That is the only thing that would make sense from the options list. The GT has two pushbutton lights and the always on tiny led. Does the Sig have more than that?

    Can you see the attatchment pic in post #4?

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    Same harness but maybe the Sig has more overhead led accent lighting. That is the only thing that would make sense from the options list. The GT has two pushbutton lights and the always on tiny led. Does the Sig have more than that?

    Can you see the attatchment pic in post #4?
    Ok, now I see. The pic you posted shows the harness upside down relative to how it snaps into the mirror.

    Ours are the same!

  13. #13
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 GT AWD

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    9
    I just did the mirror tap for my dash cam on the 2018 CX-9 GT. Have the 4 wires as well.

    The black wire in the 3rd position is ground. The blue wire with the black stripe in the first position is powered when the car is on only. Those are the two wires I tapped.

    As for the light being on, that's not the home link light, that's just the indicator light for whether your autodimming is on or off.

    Multimeter showed fluctuation between 11 - 13v. You'll want to get a 12v > 5v stepdown converter inline to power a dashcam via USB.

Similar Threads

  1. My new 2018 CX-5 GT in SCR/White
    By RedCatSoul in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-18-2018, 08:40 PM
  2. 2018 cx5
    By STLpilot in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-29-2017, 08:51 PM
  3. Cx-9 2018
    By anas_tair in forum CX-9 Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2017, 01:34 AM
  4. 2018 MPG - FWD and AWD Models
    By Triton46 in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 02:22 AM
  5. 2018 Mazda CX-5 vs 2018 Chevy Equinox
    By buckbumble in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •