Automatic High beams fail in overcast/rain

Correct me if I am wrong but the headlights come on automatically when the wipers are activated.

The manual makes it very clear that all the tech like auto wipers, high beam control, radar cruise control and etc may experience situations or conditions that the systems can not decipher. The technology is still in its working stage. For example, the car might not stop automatically if headed towards a picket fence.

In the end, the driver should be in command at all times and not be swayed to let the tech take away responsibility of driving.

I have the default daytime running lights - so i was not looking for headlights to come on, and they do NOT come on automatically when the wipers are on in my experience.
I was only trying to determine why hi beam behavior was unreliable - and I know now it is behaving as expected.

And yes, i agree, it is all up to the driver to make the car behave as it should behave.

I have used the wipers several times in the past few months during daylight on my 2017 CX5 and the headlights have never come on when the wipers were active. I always keep them on auto. I thought that is what the manual said as well, but like Puyapim says: "These systems do not perform as planned in some cases and the owners manual makes note of that as well."

Wait...those of us with US CX-5s (“5er” is already spoken for), our headlights are always on anyways. [emoji23]

I have used the wipers several times in the past few months during daylight on my 2017 CX5 and the headlights have never come on when the wipers were active. I always keep them on auto. I thought that is what the manual said as well, but like Puyapim says: "These systems do not perform as planned in some cases and the owners manual makes note of that as well."

The lights come on when the sensor determines the natural light is not enough.

Just an aside, you don’t get a Manual any more in the UK, you get a coloured “quick start guide” and the manual proper is only available online.

In my last car (Genesis Sedan) they solved the issue of high beaming others and high beams when unnecessary by adding about a 1 or 2 second delay on the auto function whenever they would go off. The sensor was also more sensitive to traffic lights, street lamps, etc. and in turn was sensitive to the glare that is caused by the reflection off of fog. But that was a vehicle that cost almost $20k more than the CX-5 similarly trimmed out, so they probably had more wiggle room to perfect the little details.

I actually like the sensitivity they chose for the auto high beam tbh, but it does come with some drawback as mentioned here. Just manually flick them off if the sensor isn't functioning 100% as intended.

Check your owners manual 9.11 for personalized settings. On 9.15 there is some adjustment feature for the auto headlights. Whether that is available everywhere or just certain locations I do not know. It seemed that I ran into this while setting my prefs.

Check your owners manual 9.11 for personalized settings. On 9.15 there is some adjustment feature for the auto headlights. Whether that is available everywhere or just certain locations I do not know. It seemed that I ran into this while setting my prefs.

The options are Operational/non-operational. There is no user option for sensitivity. There IS an option for auto headlight sensitivity, but not high beam.

The options are Operational/non-operational. There is no user option for sensitivity. There IS an option for auto headlight sensitivity, but not high beam.

I saw that light sensitivity is adjustable but agree that this does not cover high beams.

I saw that light sensitivity is adjustable but agree that this does not cover high beams.

This is true otherwise you would also be able to adjust parker & low beam as well which currently you can't

Back