2 Mazdas, 1 Honda in C&Ds 10 Best Trucks/SUVs (CR-V is MIA:)

^Same CD and no fn way the back end's willingness to step out is even close to being discovered by more than .1% of testers- a stupid comment imo.

Last edited:
The rear seats get no USB or power ports, and they only get A/C vents on the expensive models. The real-world fuel economy is also disappointing.

This part is actually a correct observation. I have a small family and my children sitting in the rear seats do complain about lack of USB ports/power ports and yes: in comparison to other SUV in the market - rear is cramped. I had to buy and install a 110 to 12V mounted permanently to the back cig. lighter port and has 3 USB ports - ran wires carefully into the center rear console. Only after 2016 did they start offering rear seat climate controls as a luxury option ; my GT did not even have it along with seat recline. Mazda - concentrates more on driver rather than family ; that's a given. Which is why there are known instances where for a family purchase - folks have bought RAV4, Rogue, CRV, HRV, etc. instead. Finally - the trunk space perhaps is the least among rivals.

This part is actually a correct observation. I have a small family and my children sitting in the rear seats do complain about lack of USB ports/power ports and yes: in comparison to other SUV in the market - rear is cramped. I had to buy and install a 110 to 12V mounted permanently to the back cig. lighter port and has 3 USB ports - ran wires carefully into the center rear console. Only after 2016 did they start offering rear seat climate controls as a luxury option ; my GT did not even have it along with seat recline. Mazda - concentrates more on driver rather than family ; that's a given. Which is why there are known instances where for a family purchase - folks have bought RAV4, Rogue, CRV, HRV, etc. instead. Finally - the trunk space perhaps is the least among rivals.

Fair enough.

I drive it mostly alone and sometimes a passenger (girlfriend). I've had people in the back maybe twice in 5 years.

Poetry, simply poetry!

"Do we honor an entry that delivers a well-balanced plate of vehicular steamed veggies, or do we honor one that stands out for making this recipe something not just palatable but tasty? We chose the latter, the Mazda CX-5."

I am keeping my fingers crossed - that in 2019 / 20 if MZD decides to bring a hybrid - its a sportier hybrid with some more power - a CX5 with 200 hp and 250 lbft of torque and partially electric will be really nice to drive. I believe MZD can out gun Rav4 hybrid in mpg.

I joked this christmas that for white elephant we just pool our car keys and blindfold people and let them pick one. A co worker said - no way your car is expensive to maintain - I lol'd.
New Alfa SUV has a ton of cues from CX5 and Infinity. Amazing that the 6 is getting a turbo - I was looking at RC car sets and saw the Mazda2 recent model - it looks really awesome. Too bad it did not sell well - it would really be a fantastic first car with lots of character.

Fair enough.

I drive it mostly alone and sometimes a passenger (girlfriend). I've had people in the back maybe twice in 5 years.

I’m in the same boat. Nobody’s used the heated seats or USB ports. Scratch that. I have a long USB cable plugged in and ran to the front....since the front ones are utter [emoji90]

I’m in the same boat. Nobody’s used the heated seats or USB ports. Scratch that. I have a long USB cable plugged in and ran to the front....since the front ones are utter [emoji90]

That's a great emoticon!

The only USB port I have in mine is in the center console and has my usb nano stick with my music plugged in for the infotainment system.

The USB sockets in the back are only for powering or charging devices and at 2 amps are quite fast. . The one in the front will charge at 1 amp but is an input to the MZD.

The USB sockets in the back are only for powering or charging devices and at 2 amps are quite fast. . The one in the front will charge at 1 amp but is an input to the MZD.

So the rear USB on the 2017+ is charge only? Interesting....

Get sarcasm?

Not at all. Car and Driver is seriously not a tech magazine. Why would coupling your phone have anything to do with driving dynamics, 0-60 times, reliability and and MPG?

And the fact that 9 out of 10 of those winners aren't even offroad worthy....geez. Screw the iphone, lets not get stuck in a blizzard.

I have a 2017 CX5 and the wife has a 2017 CRV. I get as good of an experience with both as anyone and I love almost everything about the CRV except the CVT, the lack of a HUD, and the lack of a commander knob. The CX5 is more fun to drive but feels a tad smaller, has a better stereo interface but doesn't have carplay (which I would actually like but wouldn't switch to a CRV for), and looks much better overall. Basically the CRV works better for her and the CX5 works better for me. Neither of us would trade. I definitely get why reviewers come up with different answers for which is best. As long as we all know that either option is way better than a Ford.

I have a 2017 CX5 and the wife has a 2017 CRV. I get as good of an experience with both as anyone and I love almost everything about the CRV except the CVT, the lack of a HUD, and the lack of a commander knob. The CX5 is more fun to drive but feels a tad smaller, has a better stereo interface but doesn't have carplay (which I would actually like but wouldn't switch to a CRV for), and looks much better overall. Basically the CRV works better for her and the CX5 works better for me. Neither of us would trade. I definitely get why reviewers come up with different answers for which is best. As long as we all know that either option is way better than a Ford.

Thanks for that comparison. It good to hear a balanced opinion from both sides. The CRV does have more cargo room but in the end it’s really up to the owner which is better.

That's basically what it was like in our home. GF liked a bit more practicality and space, whereas I preferred a bit more sportiness and style. No reason to start a flame war over it.

Not at all. Car and Driver is seriously not a tech magazine. Why would coupling your phone have anything to do with driving dynamics, 0-60 times, reliability and and MPG?

And the fact that 9 out of 10 of those winners aren't even offroad worthy....geez. Screw the iphone, lets not get stuck in a blizzard.

Ok then.

Both excellent choices (cx5 replaced my 07 crv) comes down to space needs and/or which side of your brain dominates..so it kind of makes 'sense' that crv outsells cx5 by ~2:1 the fact that its ~3:1 is because its Honda vs Mazda...despite some of the worst fake wood trim pieces in the history of vehicle interiors;)

Last edited:
Both excellent choices (cx5 replaced my 07 crv) comes down to space needs and/or which side of your brain dominates..so it kind of makes 'sense' that crv outsells cx5 by ~2:1 the fact that its ~3:1 is because its Honda vs Mazda...despite some of the worst fake wood trim pieces in the history of vehicle interiors;)

On the subject of bad wood trim, I was impressed that Mazda used a digital type of grain for their trim which doesn’t look like fake wood. Usually carmakers go with fake wood or gaudy metal, neither which are really good looking. Carbon fiber got tiring and that fad seems to be over thank goodness.

Back