2 Mazdas, 1 Honda in C&Ds 10 Best Trucks/SUVs (CR-V is MIA:)

A few excerpts...

From the first turn of the wheel, its evident that the Mazda is something different. The CX-5 follows steering commands with an eagerness that belies its category. Its chassis provides a master class in body controlfirm enough to make for engaging handling yet supple enough to shrug off pavement imperfections.

While the CX-5s EPA ratings are not at the top of the segment, either, in our 75-mph, real-world highway fuel-economy test, the Mazda was one of the only models in its segment to beat its EPA highway rating, doing so in both front-wheel-drive (33 mpg versus a 31-mpg rating) and all-wheel-drive (32 versus 29) guises.

The CX-5s engine is naturally aspirated, with the precise and linear throttle response thats often lacking in turbocharged engines. And whereas droning CVT automatics are common in this field, Mazda uses a six-speed conventional automatic. Even better, the transmission is responsive and eager to downshift.

The materials are rich, and the design is handsome. We also appreciate the excellent seating position, with a comfortable dead pedal and great sightlines.

I can’t wait to compare my wife’s ‘17 CX-5 to my new ‘18 X3....it’s conspicuously not included in the tests from what I can tell.

A few excerpts...

From the first turn of the wheel, its evident that the Mazda is something different. The CX-5 follows steering commands with an eagerness that belies its category. Its chassis provides a master class in body controlfirm enough to make for engaging handling yet supple enough to shrug off pavement imperfections.

While the CX-5s EPA ratings are not at the top of the segment, either, in our 75-mph, real-world highway fuel-economy test, the Mazda was one of the only models in its segment to beat its EPA highway rating, doing so in both front-wheel-drive (33 mpg versus a 31-mpg rating) and all-wheel-drive (32 versus 29) guises.

The CX-5s engine is naturally aspirated, with the precise and linear throttle response thats often lacking in turbocharged engines. And whereas droning CVT automatics are common in this field, Mazda uses a six-speed conventional automatic. Even better, the transmission is responsive and eager to downshift.

The materials are rich, and the design is handsome. We also appreciate the excellent seating position, with a comfortable dead pedal and great sightlines.

High praise indeed!

Another excerpt I like...
"Masters the intangibles"

Quote from the CX-5 segment: "A compact crossover is a practical purchase, but it doesnt have to be a dull one."

BAM!

Love it. Does a good job at describing why I love this car (and also everything I dislike about the...ahem...missing vehicle in the list). There's more to the CX-5 than just the spec sheet, and for those that appreciate those differences, it's a fantastic vehicle.

How could a place called Car and Drive rate a car without CarPlay so highly. This must be fake news.

Because it's called car and driver, not car and browse the internet-er. lol

On the other hand, if live somewhere that you NEED 4WD like Baja Mexico or Kauai, or...pretty much anywhere with deep mud or sand, the only thing on that list that wont get you stuck is the F150
So I agree, Fake News. Where's a true 4WD like a 4Runner or Jeep Wrangler? These "trucks" are all Crossovers on car chassis.

Last edited:
...meanwhile "fruit spicy stew" (ahem) is wiping away his tears screaming "no! this isn't fair!"

...meanwhile "fruit spicy stew" (ahem) is wiping away his tears screaming "no! this isn't fair!"

Actually Fruitman is on the Honda board ripping Mazda as usual. You know, no carplay, transmissions dropping left and right, et al.

On the other hand, if live somewhere that you NEED 4WD like Baja Mexico or Kauai, or...pretty much anywhere with deep mud or sand, the only thing on that list that wont get you stuck is the F150
So I agree, Fake News. Where's a true 4WD like a 4Runner or Jeep Wrangler? These "trucks" are all Crossovers on car chassis.

Get sarcasm?

I can’t wait to compare my wife’s ‘17 CX-5 to my new ‘18 X3....it’s conspicuously not included in the tests from what I can tell.
Just started arriving in US dealerships in late November so probably a little late for them to get their hands on one.

Congrats on gen2 ousting the CR-V from last year's list of honorees..enjoy:

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...d-suvs-our-top-picks-in-every-segment-feature

This as I was just saying man I'm seeing alot of new 5ers running around these days- esp down by work (CT)

Excellently written. If truly I had to compare - or rather forced to and since I regularly drive one and if price is NOT a concern - what they write about Macan S is actually true. It feels, drives like a class A Sedan. In the same breath - my friend who owns this Macan and a 911 always praises the CX5 as he drove it many times. When on a pinch - he said only yours I want to drive and not my friend's - much, much newer CRV. CRV is a very good, robust car with features beating CX-5 however as soon as I start driving it, I feel disconnected or I feel the car trying to please me. With CX-5 or Macan its automatic. CRV - its more like forced pleasure.

But there are publications for Trucks. Car&Driver May not be for you Hoss. [emoji23][emoji41][emoji6]

Mango will be happy the CRV is Motortrends SUV of the year!

Its very interesting to see that different car magazine is having a totally different outcome for vehicle comparison. Motor Trend January issue has chosen Honda CR-V as 2018 Motor Trend SUV of the Year. Mazda CX-5 is not even among the finalists and got cut after the 1st round. MT's comment on CX-5:

Mazda CX-5: 2018 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contender

Motor Trend said:
Mazda CX-5: 2018 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Contender

Motor Trend Staff 11/14/2017

We Like The gorgeous styling and sports car handling.

We Don't Like Its disappointing mpg, missing Apple/Android tech, and lack of room.

Mazda gets us. This is, after all, an enthusiast brand that also speaks to consumers, so when an SUV turns up that handles like a sporty sedan, we get excited.

"Mazda brings the fun, even to SUVs," Alisa Priddle said. "The CX-5 is sized to appeal to a wide band of consumers. It accelerates nicely, tackled the winding course with vigor, and sounds and feels good while doing it. The back end wants to step out for an extra little dose of fun."

A touch too much fun for some consumers, we suspect. The CX-5, particularly the up-spec Grand Touring trim, is eager to rotate when cornering aggressively. Although stability control prevents things from getting out of hand, it'll catch some buyers off guard. This is an enthusiast's crossover through and through. And even though it lacks an off-road mode, the Mazda still did pretty well in the dirt.

Enthusiasts also appreciate creature comforts, but the CX-5 is missing a few. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming to Mazda products at some point, but they're not here yet. The rear seats get no USB or power ports, and they only get A/C vents on the expensive models. The real-world fuel economy is also disappointing.

The CX-5's biggest problem, though, is that there's a better vehicle all around. From interior roominess to fuel economy to technology, the Honda CR-V outshines the CX-5though the Mazda is prettier and more fun to drive. But when two or more vehicles in the same class show up to this competition, only the best moves on.

Oh wow, they don't like, big surprise: Lack of AA/CP. BFD.

That aside, the rest of it reads like all the things that made me buy the CX-5 to begin with. What an endorsement. :)

Back