Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: CX-8 vs CX-9

  1. #1
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    91

    CX-8 vs CX-9

    Australia and other countries are getting the slightly smaller CX-8 with a 2.2L turbo diesel engine. The article compares it to the CX-9.

    http://www.caradvice.com.au/613040/m...for-australia/

  2. #2
    Registered Member JPL's Avatar

    2018 CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    665
    I see no logical purpose for Mazda to have developed a slightly smaller CX-9.

    If the gas turbo engine isn't practical for some countries, they could have saved a lot of time and money shoving the diesel engine into the existing CX-9.

    The few inches difference makes no sense for both to exist. Think about it, the CX-8 is the about the length of the Highlander, LOL.The cost involved in doing an entirely different interior!

    The CX-9 looks so much better. The shortened CX-8 proportions just don't work as well.

  3. #3
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I see no logical purpose for Mazda to have developed a slightly smaller CX-9.
    Reason it was built is because of Japanese tax rates. CX-9 is not sold there due to its size incurring higher taxes.

    Hence the creation of the CX-8.

  4. #4
    Registered Member JPL's Avatar

    2018 CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    Reason it was built is because of Japanese tax rates. CX-9 is not sold there due to its size incurring higher taxes.

    Hence the creation of the CX-8.
    This is why America is the place to be. Most countries tax by size, engine size, etc.

    6" difference is silly. Like I said, the Highlander is approximately the same length. The Sorento is shorter, the Acadia is about the size of the CX-8 and these all compete directly with CX-9.

  5. #5
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    This is why America is the place to be. Most countries tax by size, engine size, etc.

    6" difference is silly. Like I said, the Highlander is approximately the same length. The Sorento is shorter, the Acadia is about the size of the CX-8 and these all compete directly with CX-9.
    Probably reasons why CX-8 won't be sold there ever

    AFAIK we don't as of yet tax that way. We do however have luxury car tax which kicks in at certain amount.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    Mazda

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    If the gas turbo engine isn't practical for some countries, they could have saved a lot of time and money shoving the diesel engine into the existing CX-9.
    That's what I thought so too. good point

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,558
    Actually, the CX-8 has been a huge success:

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly.../#5444e30f1145
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature


  8. #8
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Actually, the CX-8 has been a huge success:

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly.../#5444e30f1145
    I am not surprised

  9. #9
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    I am not surprised
    I saw the episode of NHK Samurai Wheels a few days ago. The two hosts, one who is Peter Lyon, were very impressed with the vehicle. Styling, the quietness of the passenger cabin and the drive ability. They gave it the highest score they have ever given with their scoring system.

    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/samuraiwheels/

  10. #10
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    This is why America is the place to be. Most countries tax by size, engine size, etc.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot possibly disagree with you more. Talking about NA as a whole, the fuel quality here is bad, the drivers here are mostly bad, there is a huge lack of manual transmissions. many people driving larger cars barely even use 10% of the available space. there are very few diesel options. the roads in snow-belt states/provinces with variances in climate have dreadful roads which damage our cars. all these massive pickup trucks and SUV's guzzling our precious (well not really precious, but limited) reserve of fuel just so people can sit higher up. look - I have absolutely no issues with the CX-9. it is one of the very few SUV's I actually like. it is efficient, it offers the optimal amount of space for people who actually need to haul things, but overall, except for the burly engines due to our more open roads, I am wholly unimpressed.

  11. #11
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    I saw the episode of NHK Samurai Wheels a few days ago. The two hosts, one who is Peter Lyon, were very impressed with the vehicle. Styling, the quietness of the passenger cabin and the drive ability. They gave it the highest score they have ever given with their scoring system.

    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/samuraiwheels/
    Good to hear

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    Teebaggin

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    China has the cx6 or something of that nature. Just adding some flavor to the masses i guess.
    Current:
    2018 CX5 AWD GT/Premium - Machine Gray Metallic / Black
    2015 6 GT - Snowflake White Pearl / Parchment
    2002 Miata SE #1359/1441 Titanium Metallic / Saddle Brown

  13. #13
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_X View Post
    China has the cx6 or something of that nature. Just adding some flavor to the masses i guess.
    CX-4:


  14. #14
    Registered Member erhayes's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL.
    Posts
    2,626
    I drive a CX5 now and really appreciated the extra elbow room in my CX7. I look forward to a slightly larger interior in the CX8. Ed

  15. #15
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Wonder if the 1st two rows space is the same as the CX-5....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •