Replacement speakers none bose system

dan801

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi Ive got a 2017 (2nd Gen) CX5 Touring which only comes with the 6 speakers front, rear, tweeters. Im looking at replacing them but at this stage not adding an amp.

1. What size speakers are in each of the doors and whats the maximum mounting depth.

2. Does anyone have any feedback on the maximum output of the headunit (no amp). No point going for a high RMS speaker because I presume itll sound worse if I cant power them. Im thinking about mid range components with good sound quality at front and a bass heavier rear fills.

Last edited:
You do not say what year Cx-5 you have but I can say that my 2017 CX-5 has a non Bose speaker system with a 6.5 inch coaxial paper cone speaker in each door (total 4) and a pair of unimpressive tweeter in the A pillars at the front. I have bought two pairs of Hertz 6.5 inch coaxial speakers for the doors and a pair of Pei tweeters (one inch) for the A pillars. Hope to change them next summer when the weather warms up. I might install a Kenwood active under seat subwoofer as well.

Here in this thread is the reply by Anchorman with regards to speaker size.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862575-speaker-size-in-CX-5-2017

Last edited:
You do not say what year Cx-5 you have but I can say that my 2017 CX-5 has a non Bose speaker system with a 6.5 inch coaxial paper cone speaker in each door (total 4) and a pair of unimpressive tweeter in the A pillars at the front. I have bought two pairs of Hertz 6.5 inch coaxial speakers for the doors and a pair of Pei tweeters (one inch) for the A pillars. Hope to change them next summer when the weather warms up. I might install a Kenwood active under seat subwoofer as well.

Here in this thread is the reply by Anchorman with regards to speaker size.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862575-speaker-size-in-CX-5-2017

What about realistic speaker speaker depth. I don't want to buy something thats too deep and hit the window or cause issues with the door trim.

Also are we saying that the tweeters are considered seperate speakers and the headunit handles the crossover. I would have thought buying a pair of component speakers is the correct thing to do?
Ordinarily i would have run a cable from the woofer crossover back to the tweeter and leave the original tweeter wire.
Can i essentially install a pair of components and disregard the crossovers and plug the tweeter directly into the existing wiring?

Back