Would these particular tires fit on my 2015 CX-5 Touring?

Not sure why it won't work, took a screenshot instead
5d164004aaa8e6695bd7efb22a9ca217.png

Overall diameter on OEM 225/65R17: 28.9”
On Nitto Terra Grappler G2 245/65R17: 30”

Overall diameter on OEM 225/65R17: 28.9
On Nitto Terra Grappler G2 245/65R17: 30

So we should be good, correct? With the current tires there's probably 1-1.5" clearance per side when turning the wheels.

So we should be good, correct? With the current tires there's probably 1-1.5" clearance per side when turning the wheels.

No, no ,no...he's saying the Nittos are more than in inch taller overall (diameter), which will throw the speedo/odo/abs and all manner of other electronics off.

No, no ,no...he's saying the Nittos are more than in inch taller overall (diameter), which will throw the speedo/odo/abs and all manner of other electronics off.

So we shouldn't go any higher than the 225? We just want something that increases the height a little, but those particular tires don't seem to be available anywhere in 235s or 225s (also can't find any with a lower aspect ratio). 245 is our only option, other than going with a completely different tire. We already know it would throw the speedo/odo off, but we're not too concerned about that.

If you’re trying to decrease the ridiculous wheel/tire gap, do what I and several others here did. Put on a set of H&R sport springs (and don’t forget the necessary suspension mods that go along with them.) Lowers the car 1.5” (on average) and levels it. Expect a stiffer ride.

If you’re trying to decrease the ridiculous wheel/tire gap, do what I and several others here did. Put on a set of H&R sport springs (and don’t forget the necessary suspension mods that go along with them.) Lowers the car 1.5” (on average) and levels it. Expect a stiffer ride.

Oh no we don't want to lower the car at all, more height the better. We're wanting thicker/bigger tires for driving on dirt/gravel roads. Also need to be able to make sharp turns really easily, so certainly don't want it stiffer.

I like to plug the numbers into a tire page like this one to help visualize and see the differences and speedo error: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

If you wanted to keep the same sidewall as the OE, your 245/60/17 would give you the wider tread width.

However it sounds like you want a "Beefy" off-road tire. The 245/65/17 ones you listed appear that they should work. You will be going 2.5MPH faster than the speedo at 70mph...

My area of concern would be to make sure that the width of the Mazda Wheel (or whatever wheel that you are using) meets and matches the recommended wheel width range of the tire manufacturer you choose, in the tire model and dimensions you choose.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/terra-grappler-g2-all-terrain-light-truck-tire/

Last edited:
I have no idea what Paris is talking about, OP is not trying to change the tire diameter, but the width.

Op, I strongly recommend against it. Your stock Rim width is like 7 or 7.5", way too small for a 245 width tire. My recommendation is to buy at least an 8.5" wide rim if you want to mount 245's.

The size change would cause a very noticeable performance loss. I think this would be a bad idea. Ed

I have no idea what Paris is talking about, OP is not trying to change the tire diameter, but the width.

Op, I strongly recommend against it. Your stock Rim width is like 7 or 7.5", way too small for a 245 width tire. My recommendation is to buy at least an 8.5" wide rim if you want to mount 245's.

You have no idea what Paris is talking about and you have no idea what you are talking about either. So lets brake this down a bit. There are 3 numbers listed for tire sizes, the first being the section width of the tread in mm. That's how wide the tires are. The second number is a percentage as it pertains to the side wall. So a 225/65 has a side wall that is 65% the height of what the tread width is, or 146.25 mm. The last number is the size of the rim diameter that those tires fit on. Usually listed in the tire specs is the recommended range for rim width. You wouldn't want to run a 265/XX/RXX on a 7" wide rim, it would be far to wide. Now looking at the listing for the Nitto Terra G2's that he listed they state an acceptable rim width of 6.5-9.0" so the 7" stock CX-5 rims would work, not the best choice but its doable.

Changing the section width and not changing the aspect ratio does change the over all diameter of the tires. The closest to matching the stock diameter would be a 245/60R17 that would have a 147mm side wall height. 60% of 245 = 147 65% of 225 = 146.25.

And No, wider tires do not always equal greater performance. As section width increases so will lateral grip up to a point but with that increase also comes a larger contact section hitting the road which requires more power to push down the road and a decrease in MPG because of it. Every car is different but at a certain point there is a "too wide" of a tire for it's own good as there is not enough power to push them and overall performance decreases because of it.

That being said, I don't think a 245 is above that line where performance suffers too much and in fact the increased lateral grip will probably be very welcome at a slight decrease in MPG.

There are a few people running the Falken wildpeaks in a 245/65R17 on 8" rims which is what I would suggest the OP to do if they don't care about speedo being off.

You have no idea what Paris is talking about and you have no idea what you are talking about either. So lets brake this down a bit. There are 3 numbers listed for tire sizes, the first being the section width of the tread in mm. That's how wide the tires are. The second number is a percentage as it pertains to the side wall. So a 225/65 has a side wall that is 65% the height of what the tread width is, or 146.25 mm. The last number is the size of the rim diameter that those tires fit on. Usually listed in the tire specs is the recommended range for rim width. You wouldn't want to run a 265/XX/RXX on a 7" wide rim, it would be far to wide. Now looking at the listing for the Nitto Terra G2's that he listed they state an acceptable rim width of 6.5-9.0" so the 7" stock CX-5 rims would work, not the best choice but its doable.

Changing the section width and not changing the aspect ratio does change the over all diameter of the tires. The closest to matching the stock diameter would be a 245/60R17 that would have a 147mm side wall height. 60% of 245 = 147 65% of 225 = 146.25.

And No, wider tires do not always equal greater performance. As section width increases so will lateral grip up to a point but with that increase also comes a larger contact section hitting the road which requires more power to push down the road and a decrease in MPG because of it. Every car is different but at a certain point there is a "too wide" of a tire for it's own good as there is not enough power to push them and overall performance decreases because of it.

That being said, I don't think a 245 is above that line where performance suffers too much and in fact the increased lateral grip will probably be very welcome at a slight decrease in MPG.

There are a few people running the Falken wildpeaks in a 245/65R17 on 8" rims which is what I would suggest the OP to do if they don't care about speedo being off.

Thanks for the in-depth comment, it was really helpful and explained some stuff I was a bit lost on before.

So when you say "not the best choice, but it's doable".. what are some problems we could run into with fitting those tires on a 7"? Just looked a the Falken Wildpeaks, but if we had to buy those and 8" rims, it would take us way over budget.

We're considering just going for the 225 BFGoodrich KO2s.

Funny to be talking about performance of an all terrain light truck tire. I think skidpad performance should be irrelevant in the boonies.

But if you go with those 245s to deliberately increase diameter and ride height you'll get slower acceleration on the road.

And have you thought about suspension travel? If you're bouncing around on potholed dirt roads, that's a consideration.

And if you're in the snow zone, you'll get better "performance" in deep snow from narrower tires....

Funny to be talking about performance of an all terrain light truck tire. I think skidpad performance should be irrelevant in the boonies.

But if you go with those 245s to deliberately increase diameter and ride height you'll get slower acceleration on the road.

And have you thought about suspension travel? If you're bouncing around on potholed dirt roads, that's a consideration.

And if you're in the snow zone, you'll get better "performance" in deep snow from narrower tires....

I'll explain what the tires are mainly wanted for.

We're in Texas, so no snow. We go out to West Texas on herping trips. Just looking for the peace of mind a thicker tire will give me when doing sharp U-turns in the middle of nowhere with mesquite bushes growing on the side of the road. Mesquite bushes can really mess up the stock tires I have, so thicker is better.

I'll explain what the tires are mainly wanted for.

We're in Texas, so no snow. We go out to West Texas on herping trips. Just looking for the peace of mind a thicker tire will give me when doing sharp U-turns in the middle of nowhere with mesquite bushes growing on the side of the road. Mesquite bushes can really mess up the stock tires I have, so thicker is better.

Ah, so, you realize the size has virtually nothing to do with thickness, right? Now you're talking about ply. You want 6 ply maybe. And whatever size fits your wheels. And if you don't care about speedo, etc., the diameter won't matter.

Seriously, lfjt, if you're mainly worried about punctures, these tires won't be a whole lot better than the OEMs. They'll have better traction, but they're not "thicker". But realize also that if you put 6 plies on there, you can expect a noticeably rougher ride. IF you can even get them to fit your wheels.

Communication's a b****, ain't it, paris?

Back