Stiff steering wheel? (Due to cold?)

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Hello - I am noticing a remarkable stiffness of the steering wheel of late. My 1st. suspicion was the tires (duh?) but they are perfect, w.r.t. pressure/condition.

My 2nd. suspect is the cold. Is it possible that steering gets stiffer?

Now - I need to go to the dealership due to a routine maintenance. Is there anything I should specifically request for to check other than full circle inspection?

What the .....? The dealer is saying something called ty rods need to be replaced? Its not my trusted dealership though. Its near my work area. Also saying very dangerous without fixing it.

Have it checked out by your trusted dealership. 2016 seems way too early for tie rod replacement unless as mentioned prior that you hit a bad pothole or a curb etc.

Nope, nothing. I took it back against a lot of complaints of this dealer. Something looked fishy ... just my gut. I looked up Internet and someone somewhere suggested a test. Drove back home. Jacked up my car, held tightly the front wheel and tried to shake it back & forth: nothing - tight as a rock. Both wheels.

Have it checked out by your trusted dealership. 2016 seems way too early for tie rod replacement unless as mentioned prior that you hit a bad pothole or a curb etc.

This was what the dealership was saying - that I must have hit a curb or went thru some accident even without my knowledge - i.e. a side parked car hit my passenger wheel - hard. Which is why I need to pay for the repairs since accidents aren't covered under warranty. Asked me for $1750 to change tie rods (Thank you for correcting - I thought the spelling was ty rods)

All cleared ... thank you SO MUCH GUYS!!!!

I recently donated $15 and its worth every penny. Came back from my trusted dealership - they are open up to 9 pm and they confirmed everything's fine with tie rods. Absolutely no issues. The recent cold has caused everything to stiffen up a bit. To top it they told me in some critical areas they found huge deposits of sand crusted and which will have effect on steering/turning/handling. They cleaned it all out but asked me to report after at least a 30 min drive at highway speed. Asked to check while driving alignment (their machine not working) as it seems it can have an effect on stiffness.

Stiff steering is absolutely not normal on an electric steering rack. If you have a hydraulic rack and the fluid is just cold then that might make a small difference with steering stiffness, but my electric rack has always been the same to me.

Seriously though. Both tie rods need to be replaced on an almost new car? Give me a God damn break.

Back