A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

Based on '17, remove the lower trim by prying off (use proper tools and tape to avoid damage) and disconnect start button (plug); Then remove upper trim disconnecting the hazard button (proper tools again) - dash trim PDF available with instructions for these steps.

Flip over the dash trim with the vents, and each vent assembly is held in via 4 clips, and the vent assembly slides out (x2). I doubt the re-tooled to mold a new dash piece. It looks like our vents have sort of blanking plate where the dial goes.

EDIT - i expect it would take no more then 30 minutes for me to do it as i have already pulled the dash pieces off and the vents out.

Thanks. Might be above my pay grade :)

Yes cylinder deactivation is not new but many had tried and failed. The rotary engine is not new either and why can Mazda just bring it back?

Honda has gone through class-action lawsuit with its VCM problems found on 2008~2013 V6’s, including the Odyssey you mentioned, due to spark plug fouling and oil consumption, in addition to early engine mount and position ring failures caused by engine misfiring. Honda has to pay for all the repairs related to cylinder deactivation based on the settlement of class-action lawsuit.
[emoji50] Ok then. [emoji13]

Looks like they reworked how the "pick your trim" page looks. Maybe that was the delay? LOL I see Aha Radio is back? I thought that was dropped in the newest firmware? Anyone?

I don't agree that it is. This tech isn't that new. Honda Odyssey had it in 2010.
Of course I M the forum optimist apparently.
And still no sign of 18s on the official Mazda site. So sketchy....

Our Odyssey has it and the Honda forums are all against it for the most part. Many posts about how to disable the VCM.

Wife and I did visit a Lexus dealer last weekend. But the RX she has been always wanting is simply too ugly, even she couldnt stand the look!

She's not alone. My mother was also one of those people who wanted to upgrade to a Lexus NX from a Toyota Rav4. But the grille design this generation has absolutely turned her off...

Hmmm. Just 3 hours ago it wasn't there. Maybe Yrwei is right...Mazda is reading the forum! (I don't believe that at all) LOL

I can 200% confirm they do read, at least in US. If you are young enough (to pass as if you're @ college) check college sites and apply for internship. I know at least of 1 student who worked at Mazda HQ as an intern and her job was to collect/filter and produce daily reports on forum entries across 4 websites. I know 2 of these sites but remaining 2? No idea.

She's not alone. My mother was also one of those people who wanted to upgrade to a Lexus NX from a Toyota Rav4. But the grille design this generation has absolutely turned her off...

My spouse's comment to the sales guy: that front looks like an angry Orangutan's bum. Sorry, no sorry.

I can 200% confirm they do read, at least in US. If you are young enough (to pass as if you're @ college) check college sites and apply for internship. I know at least of 1 student who worked at Mazda HQ as an intern and her job was to collect/filter and produce daily reports on forum entries across 4 websites. I know 2 of these sites but remaining 2? No idea.
Really? Cool. That's what I would do if I was running a car company. Oh, and sorry for doubting you Yrwei.. lol

Last edited:
Wife and I did visit a Lexus dealer last weekend. But the RX she has been always wanting is simply too ugly, even she couldnt stand the look!

All the latest Lexus grills look like someone trying to swallow a basketball working extra hard on the LOWER jaw. Aesthetics aside, the large hole gives the impression that the front part of the car is incomplete.

So we're not that much behind the Canada model this time, with the exception of paddle shifter - that's it? Thanks for checking out!

All the latest Lexus grills look like someone trying to swallow a basketball working extra hard on the LOWER jaw. Aesthetics aside, the large hole gives the impression that the front part of the car is incomplete.

No kidding. They are just so ugly up front. What is Toyota thinking?
They did the same treatment on the new Camry.
When I was shopping around last October, I took one look at the 2018 Camry, and immediately took it off my list.
No way I'm caught, dead or alive, driving that thing (the interior is just as bad).

I just can't see this design aging very well.
20 years from now I doubt anyone will look back on a 2018 Lexus and say "what a great looking car".

Can anyone explain to me the logic in adding 19' rims on the touring model? I thought the whole point of those wheels was to differentiate the GT model from the lower trim?

Can anyone explain to me the logic in adding 19' rims on the touring model? I thought the whole point of those wheels was to differentiate the GT model from the lower trim?

You can still differentiate it via what the Touring doesn't have spec wise compared to the GT

Just because there have been historical attempts at cylinder deactivation in the past doesn’t automatically mean it will fail on a Mazda now. You can apply this train of thought to all sorts of technologies - hybrids, batteries, even early auto transmissions but it’s a stubborn attitude with no substance and if it brings another 1% of fuel efficiency it’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned - bring it on.

Well Mazda did fail with the rotary engine, even after years of trying updates.

Looking at the issues with their Nav systems since 2013 doens't fill me with confidence that they can do any better with the cylinder deactivation either.

Just because there have been historical attempts at cylinder deactivation in the past doesn’t automatically mean it will fail on a Mazda now. You can apply this train of thought to all sorts of technologies - hybrids, batteries, even early auto transmissions but it’s a stubborn attitude with no substance and if it brings another 1% of fuel efficiency it’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned - bring it on.
(iagree)

Back