A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

For USA owners, confirmed auto up/down all windows and dials on centre vents for open and close:

I have confirmed that the 2018 released CX-5 here is already Malaysia built and not Japan. Any news on your side of the planet?

Just a guess but this might be a kit assembly type of operation. The parts are manufactured in Japan and then shipped to Malaysia for assembly. The Philippines have this type of operation as well with other automakers.

the Southeast Asian countries in the past didn't get much Japanese built Mazdas, many were built locally in one or multiple ASEAN countries
Vietnam has their own plant to build the 3s for local sales... I believe Laos does too
Thailand has their own plant to build the 3s and BT50s
Philippines used to have 323s built in Ford's Santa Rosa in Luzon plant
Taiwan used to have various different models built by Ford locally, including Ford rebadged versions

This is the first I heard of a Malaysian plant... must be new like the Vietnamese one

China has various joint venture plants around the country for various Mazdas of different generations... it's very typical for past generations to continue to be built and sold along side new ones in these developing countries... these are typically complete knock down models built in those countries, using parts supplied from various places, including Japan... this also results in interesting features/options/combinations or even engine choices in these countries... at one point in time, the Chinese Protege actually had a Mitsubishi engine option! But, these cars are typically not exported to the G8 or many other countries... probably due to quality concerns and replacement parts reasons

Just a guess but this might be a kit assembly type of operation. The parts are manufactured in Japan and then shipped to Malaysia for assembly. The Philippines have this type of operation as well with other automakers.

AFAIK there are 2 plants in Japan that are the only ones that make the CX-5

All my jap cars have been made in Japan that's 8 of them, I prefer that to be honest, my one German car was also made in Germany, which again I prefer.

All my jap cars have been made in Japan that's 8 of them, I prefer that to be honest, my one German car was also made in Germany, which again I prefer.

We've had 2 Japanese made cars and the CX-5 will make it the third.

2018 has the back seat armrest with heated seat controls and usb port. Still practicing with tap talk adding pictures [emoji4]
ec746508e77d385f5dd8a091df1ea85d.jpg
68ed0a5fe66e5c05016da56e628319b5.jpg

Back