A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

Americans like to lease the stripped down version of cars they can’t afford.

Absurd generalization. Many like to lease the loaded version, whether they can afford to buy or not. And everything in between.

But some of the comments in this thread are a great argument for leasing rather than buying.

Well, at least there are some accessories in the US that up here in Canada we don't get. I talked to the parts manager at the dealership where I bought my CX5 and he told me that they never do the rear parking sensor, he said to go to Canadian Tire and just buy an aftermarket sensor. Even interior lighting and doorsill plate guard (putting a invisible tape instead), stating that it may be a US thing. Well good thing we have premium floor liner, good for winter....

Well, at least there are some accessories in the US that up here in Canada we don't get. I talked to the parts manager at the dealership where I bought my CX5 and he told me that they never do the rear parking sensor, he said to go to Canadian Tire and just buy an aftermarket sensor. Even interior lighting and doorsill plate guard (putting a invisible tape instead), stating that it may be a US thing. Well good thing we have premium floor liner, good for winter....
Europe get some stuff that we don't get such as LED interior lighting

Getting the factory mud flaps next week, purely for looks. I'm vain.
I still want those light up sills. Someday...

I have been thinking about putting mud flaps on my 2018 cx5. I noticed they do have small flaps on the front and the back of this car already, will try to att. pictures of them. What are they? are they as helpful as putting the oem mud flaps on? Do you think they help protect the car? thanks for any input!

still trying to figure out how to att. pictures here. lol (gah)

Last edited:
Getting the factory mud flaps next week, purely for looks. I'm vain.
I still want those light up sills. Someday...

I am thinking about adding mud flaps to my 2018 cx5. I had them on my 2009 Acura, I like how they look. I noticed the cx5 comes with small flaps behind the front and rear wheels, not sure what they do? would you still att. OEM mud flaps? trying to figure out how to att. the pictures I took of the small mud flaps!? (gah)

Yea I am getting them this week. Mostly for looks. If they keep the car little a bit cleaner, bonus.

I had the OEM mudguards installed a few weeks ago. Not sure if they keep the car cleaner but I hate seeing the frozen blocks of slush hanging from the car behind the wheels in the winter time. I believe they do help mitigate that situation.

Having had the OE mud flaps now since 2013, I won't be buying anymore, I don't think it improves looks, and they are very small, the fronts especially are a waste of time and money.

The rears do a little, but my caravan still gets covered in mud etc, and it probably effects the aerodynamics.
Also I've noticed the 2017 car has a small extended lip on the rear arch to prevent dirt.

I haven’t seen the factory mud flaps but with that said most of the plastic ones are just another step in washing the car especially after or during winter. There is usually a pocket of sorts where mud and ice and whatever collect. Some are so cheap it doesn’t take much to damage or tear them away.

With my 2017 CX5 I decided to try a different route. Many of the newer sealants that are SiO2 based are so slick, dirt comes off with a spray of water. There are many brands of these sealants. I used Sonax Liquid NPT Wax which has carnauba wax but also has sealant properties. There are some good quick detailers that spray on and leave a very nice hydrophobic later on the exterior. Gyeon, CarPro, GTechniq, just to name a few.

So far I will admit the dirt buildup on the areas behind the wheels are looking very good. Admittedly, the dirtiest part of the car is the rear end. It’s been raining off and on here for around three weeks now so I consider this pretty good. Of course, it depends on each ones environment and such.

With that said, I have no interest in the mud flaps either.

I haven’t seen the factory mud flaps

Front mudflap:

21nldaf.jpg

Rear mudflap:

2z9bigk.jpg

Thanks for those pics. They certainly are very minimal looking.

No problem :D

Yes they are minimal.

They remind me of the ones on the Mazda 6 which before seeing the photos, was thinking of getting but then decided against it.

Back