A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Decided to go to my Mazda dealer and check out 2018 Mazda CX-5 a bit yesterday afternoon. Saw a 2018 Sonic Silver FWD GT with Premium Package, and a 2018 Soul Red Crystal FWD Touring with Preferred Equipment Package. Other than the big surprise, cylinder deactivation, which most people have already known, therere a few more surprises havent been mentioned here for US spec 2018 CX-5.

2018 CX-5 Touring now comes with 19 GT wheels, along with i-ActivSense package less Mazda Radar Cruise Control standard. But the give-away Touring Preferred Equipment Package now costs $1,200 instead $780.

2018 CX-5 GT has memory seat and power passenger seat standard, and for me I have no reason to get GT Premium Package for $1,385 as I dont really need those features for cold weather and not interested to have Mazda Active Driving Display.

So a few surprises are the non-driver one-touch open/close power windows with anti-pinch capability and illuminated switches, and dial open/close controls on center dash vents, found on both Touring and GT. Unfortunately the paddle shifters on 2018 Canadian CX-5 GT are nowhere can be found.

Also talked to the GM Alex and complaining about cylinder deactivation. He said Mazda North American Operations have never taken dealers opinions and suggestions seriously, and urged me making the suggestions directly to MNAO which would be more effective. Asked about AA and ACP and he has no idea when these would be available and heard nothing from MNAO. But on diesel he truely believe MNAO is pushing it hard evidenced by MNAO has scheduled training courses on diesel for his technicians. So there's still some hope for diesel lovers. :)

One-touch open/close power windows with anti-pinch capability and illuminated switches for all windows:
attachment.php

Dial open/close controls on center dash vents:
attachment.php

Soul Red Crystal Touring with 19 GT wheels:
attachment.php

Touring Preferred Equipment Package now costs $1,200:
attachment.php

BEED1254-D7D6-4E70-9DCD-7CE481E36A9E.png 31B466F1-8A41-4BEA-88B2-C02ECD2A7EDE.png E56ABD4F-D11D-492D-9355-C0E5F196CC2F.png 6E082544-F04E-4E72-ADBA-387A50758FDC.png

Thanks yrwei!..few nice added touches- I wasn't too optimistic about the paddle shifters- but wtf Mazda- Canada yes US no?

Nice post and lots of useful information. Good to see these little things fixed. The Mazda Touring seems to have almost everything the GT has.

^Yes that has been an annoyance of mine- much more so than no little lights on them!

Wonder if those 2018 center heater vents would fit as a spare part for 2017. Another nice addition.

You're not getting a new CX-5, are you?
GM Alex told me MNAO does scan all Internet Mazda forums from time to time and he said these two surprises may have something to do with some of us keep demanding these features. So dont get too upset when Im sometimes getting too critical against Mazda. I really want Mazda doing well, especially on quality and reliability.

Wife and I did visit a Lexus dealer last weekend. But the RX she has been always wanting is simply too ugly, even she couldnt stand the look!

yrwei52, this is an excellent and helpful thread, it should forgive any past transgressions :)

I'm happy to see the vent dials, that is something I wasn't expecting and definitely prefer. I also prefer to not have paddle shifters, and of course the biggest single feature I'm pining for is the diesel engine.

Wonder if those 2018 center heater vents would fit as a spare part for 2017. Another nice addition.

I pulled off my upper and lower trim panels on my '17 and the vents themselves do clip into and out of the trim panel from the back. I suspect that the '18 would fit, as the external size looks the same.

I pulled off my upper and lower trim panels on my '17 and the vents themselves do clip into and out of the trim panel from the back. I suspect that the '18 would fit, as the external size looks the same.

Thank you. That would be a nice little upgrade. Looking at last year’s parts list, I think you could probably swap them out for under 50 bucks each.

GM Alex told me MNAO does scan all Internet Mazda forums from time to time and he said these two surprises may have something to do with some of us keep demanding these features. So don’t get too upset when I’m sometimes getting too critical against Mazda. I really want Mazda doing well, especially on quality and reliability.

Wife and I did visit a Lexus dealer last weekend. But the RX she has been always wanting is simply too ugly, even she couldn’t stand the look!

I just sold my RX 350 (2010) before getting my new CX-5 - the new RX is ugly.... i agree. I hate it. And by the time you add all the extras to get feature parity with the CX-5 it is $20K more money. My wife's 2007 RX350 was expensive in out of warranty parts, and I wasn't going to wait for mine to start becoming a money pit.

My CX-5 is quieter. I thought i would miss the V6, but not really that much. I had emailed mazda years ago telling them that if they had power lift-gate and auto-dimming side mirrors they would get me back (from lexus). I got one of two, and I found that I really don't need dimming side mirrors if adjusted properly.

Great. Please let us know if you do. Based on the current version, is it an easy install?

Based on '17, remove the lower trim by prying off (use proper tools and tape to avoid damage) and disconnect start button (plug); Then remove upper trim disconnecting the hazard button (proper tools again) - dash trim PDF available with instructions for these steps.

Flip over the dash trim with the vents, and each vent assembly is held in via 4 clips, and the vent assembly slides out (x2). I doubt the re-tooled to mold a new dash piece. It looks like our vents have sort of blanking plate where the dial goes.

EDIT - i expect it would take no more then 30 minutes for me to do it as i have already pulled the dash pieces off and the vents out.

GM Alex told me MNAO does scan all Internet Mazda forums from time to time and he said these two surprises may have something to do with some of us keep demanding these features. So don’t get too upset when I’m sometimes getting too critical against Mazda. I really want Mazda doing well, especially on quality and reliability...

I could not agree more!

Sorry to see in the USA there is still no CD player, diesel/Turbo engine options or paddle shifters yet... (dark)

Maybe the paddle shifters will come when the turbo engine option is given to the CX-5? Seriously, for a company who markets the CX-5 as a sporty CUV, I still do not understand how they cannot put in paddle shifters for the US market.

Edit: Nice mini review on the updated 2018 features yrwei. I like that you get the power memory seats standard on a GT trim.

Back