2015 CX5 Grand Touring w/19inch rims - want to run 17 inch winter set - Unsure..

122Bozo

:
CX5
Looking for some advise and insight.
Wanted a winter tire set so i bought a set of 17 inch stock CX5 rims to use on my CX5 that has stock 19 inch rims.

Went to tire shop to purchase snow tires and get them mounted and they would not mount the 17 inch rims on my CX5 because of smaller rim size. They said it would impact the AWD/speed control/anti skid devices etc.. Rather than deal with uncertainty i had them mount tires on the stock 19 inch rims.

Reading through some of the posts it appears that others have put smaller rims on the CX5 without any problems.

I am just looking to be a bit better educated and would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

The key is the overall diameter on the tire with wheel which affects the revolutions per mile. The smaller rim cant stop you to get the same overall diameter on tire and the same revolutions per mile. Your 19 rim uses 225/55R19 which has 28.9 overall diameter 720 revolutions per mile; but for smaller 17 rim youd use taller 225/65R17 tire which offsets the smaller rim and gets the same overall diameter and revolutions per mile.

Yeah you definitely can use a set of any reputable 225/65R17 snow tires mounted on your OEM 17 wheels without any ill effects whatsoever to your CX-5 including tbe AWD system, even if you have 19 wheels from factory.

Your Tire shop is full of garbage! Yes you can use 17" on the CX-5 even if it came with 19's. Like yrwei52 said, its all about outside diameter of the tire. Think of it like this, Your 19" rims are like a quarter, they have a set diameter, your 19" rims would be like placing a nickel on top of that quarter and switching to 17" rims is like removing the nickel and replacing it with a dime. The diameter of the quarter (tire) doesn't change, just the amount of quarter that can be seen around the smaller coin in the center (sidewall). Does that make sense? I run 17" wheels no problem so do a lot of people. The fact that the tire shop said they wouldn't do it is crazy. CX-5s come with either 19 or 17" rims stock Just tires with different sidewall heights but same outer diameter. I could see if you were asking them to do 16" rims, which would still work, but the fact that you were denied using 17" rims is ridiculous!!! I would go back to the shop and demand they put 225/65R17 winter tires on your 17" rims and return the 19" tires and request your stock tires be put back on your 19" rims.

Your Tire shop is full of garbage! Yes you can use 17" on the CX-5 even if it came with 19's. Like yrwei52 said, its all about outside diameter of the tire. Think of it like this, Your 19" rims are like a quarter, they have a set diameter, your 19" rims would be like placing a nickel on top of that quarter and switching to 17" rims is like removing the nickel and replacing it with a dime. The diameter of the quarter (tire) doesn't change, just the amount of quarter that can be seen around the smaller coin in the center (sidewall). Does that make sense? I run 17" wheels no problem so do a lot of people. The fact that the tire shop said they wouldn't do it is crazy. CX-5s come with either 19 or 17" rims stock Just tires with different sidewall heights but same outer diameter. I could see if you were asking them to do 16" rims, which would still work, but the fact that you were denied using 17" rims is ridiculous!!! I would go back to the shop and demand they put 225/65R17 winter tires on your 17" rims and return the 19" tires and request your stock tires be put back on your 19" rims.
(drinks)

Looking for some advise and insight.
Wanted a winter tire set so i bought a set of 17 inch stock CX5 rims to use on my CX5 that has stock 19 inch rims.

Went to tire shop to purchase snow tires and get them mounted and they would not mount the 17 inch rims on my CX5 because of smaller rim size. They said it would impact the AWD/speed control/anti skid devices etc.. Rather than deal with uncertainty i had them mount tires on the stock 19 inch rims.

Reading through some of the posts it appears that others have put smaller rims on the CX5 without any problems.

I am just looking to be a bit better educated and would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Well that was a waste of the 17 inch rims , mine comes with 19 inch rims and mazda them self put on 17 inch rims, the overall diameter is the same. It is also better to use the 17 inch rim for the winter as the tire will have more side wall. Pretty stupid and bad of this tire place telling you that, obviously a bunch of idiots...

My 2017 GT came with 19's. I downsized to 225-65-17 for winter; I haven't had any issues, and have driven through some tough snow conditions already.

You bought tires for your 17inch wheels but they only fit on the 19's...? What? And as long as you use 65/17 tires on your car, you won't have any issues.

Back