Will the 2018 Mazda6 Offer All-Wheel Drive in the U.S.?

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
Will the 2018 Mazda6 Offer All-Wheel Drive in the U.S.?

NHTSA lists crash test data for 2018 Mazda6 with all-wheel drive
Mazda is studying the potential of offering all-wheel-drive sedans eventually. But such a product may come sooner than expected, if this website from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is any indication. While searching for 2018 Mazda6 crash test ratings on the site, we found results for both front- and all-wheel-drive versions. Both cars receive an overall five-star rating.

(boom06)
Well that is a tasty little morsel now isn't it...

Good find!

Last edited:
Maybe when the all new Mazda 6 arrives in the next few years

I thought Mazda said they couldn't make the AWD hardware fit the current chassis?

Well that is interesting. People were worried about the torque steer with the 2.5T and AWD would solve that problem.

There are other ways to eliminate torque steer without adding extra weight, such as separating the steering knuckle from the suspension components and adding an LSD which would greatly improve the handling composure.

I thought Mazda said they couldn't make the AWD hardware fit the current chassis?

But the Mazda 6 wagon in Europe is offered with AWD isn't it?

There are other ways to eliminate torque steer without adding extra weight, such as separating the steering knuckle from the suspension components and adding an LSD which would greatly improve the handling composure. AWD isn't it?

Actually LSD exaggerates torque steer (from Wikipedia): The torque difference is zero if the differential is frictionless, and limited slip differentials, intended to increase power transfer, actually make torque steer much worse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steer

I thought they implied the 2.5T with AWD would not fit. But it would be odd if they offered the 2.5 with AWD and the 2.5T without it (FWD).

Update. The AWD information is gone from the NHTSA web-site. May have just been a mistake.

Last edited:
I think the quote from Mazda was that their was a layout issue with the 2.5T and AWD. They acknowledged the importance of AWD for premium sedans in the US, BMW sells more in xdrive, and that they would have their engineers go back to the drawing board. It's possible they just figured out a solution. They have to know that it's not going to sell as well in FWD.

Me personally - I would seriously consider a 6 with the 2.5T and AWD combo. Otherwise I'll be either going with a Golf R, Fusion Sport, or maybe an A3 or A4.

I believe that can't justify the cost of putting AWD on this current chassis. It's been around since 2012.

If they really want to increase sales they need to. If it’s as simple as rerouting the exhaust maybe it’s not so expensive. We will find out soon enough. Without AWD I’m not interested. I have a car with similar power and FWD and the power isn’t that useable. Just wheel spin.

If they really want to increase sales they need to. If it’s as simple as rerouting the exhaust maybe it’s not so expensive. We will find out soon enough. Without AWD I’m not interested. I have a car with similar power and FWD and the power isn’t that useable. Just wheel spin.
Since they have just announced the 2.5T plus the design updates, don't think they will spend anymore for the time being

It’s disappointing. I really like the design of the 6 better than the Fusion which you probably know as Mondeo. I’m probably ending up with a Golf R. I’ll definitely wait at least until the 6 is released in case Mazda comes to their senses.

I liked my 6 as well. If I were in the market for a sedan again, would definitely go for the 2.5T Atenza here

It’s disappointing. I really like the design of the 6 better than the Fusion which you probably know as Mondeo. I’m probably ending up with a Golf R. I’ll definitely wait at least until the 6 is released in case Mazda comes to their senses.

I went out to buy a car last weekend. While I was at the Mazda dealer, I asked about the 2018 Mazda6, and they told me it absolutely, definitely will not have AWD.

If it does land here with AWD, I'm going to be really angry. I would have thrown a couple grand into my Focus ST to keep it on the road until the 6 arrives.

I went out to buy a car last weekend. While I was at the Mazda dealer, I asked about the 2018 Mazda6, and they told me it absolutely, definitely will not have AWD.

If it does land here with AWD, I'm going to be really angry. I would have thrown a couple grand into my Focus ST to keep it on the road until the 6 arrives.

Yea at this point I think I’ll be going with an Audi. They have AWD AND Apple Car Play.

My dealer connection informed me that there is no more Mazda6 2017.5 being shipped. Whatever is in dealer inventories for 2017.5's is it. With the 2018's to be arriving mid-late March, along with the Diesel CX-5 finally.

Yeah, stock at my local dealers is getting really low. I don't know why they even bothered with the 2017.5
They offered some big incentives to clear the 2017s for it

Back