No control when there is a few inches of snow

So far, my CX5 is IMO better in the brief amount of winter driving I have done with it than my Xterra in 4WD high range. It has deep lugged tires, but I seem to get better traction with the all seasons on the CX5.

Narrow tryes are best in snow according to the rally drivers, perhaps your cx-5 has narrower tyres compared to the xterra?

Did you change the air in your tires? Always change out the summer air for winter air with new tires. If that doesn't solve the traction problem, you can always get few dozen stainless steel or galvanized screws and screw them half way into the tire tread to act like ice spikes. You will have excellent traction then. Much love sent from America (usa)

Great advice!

Did you change the air in your tires? Always change out the summer air for winter air with new tires. If that doesn't solve the traction problem, you can always get few dozen stainless steel or galvanized screws and screw them half way into the tire tread to act like ice spikes. You will have excellent traction then. Much love sent from America (usa)

Don't forget also that you can put sandpaper on the wiper blades and have instant ice scrapers!

you can always get few dozen stainless steel or galvanized screws and screw them half way into the tire tread to act like ice spikes. You will have excellent traction then. Much love sent from America (usa)

I know a hardcore bicyclist who does exactly that! Screws them from the inside. Works great... if you use a tube.

Don't use galvanized screws, use those black dry-wall screws. They will rust due to the salty slush on the road and fall off by spring time. That way you will not have to remove them for summer.(headshake

I thought that you needed winter tires by law in Montreal, Quebec during this time of the year? So how can you still be on the Toyos?

The tires are stock size, but the tread depth is deeper than a stock tire. Not driving off road, just pavement.

Louise - I picked up a 2017 CX-5 Touring edition with the standard Toyo A36's at the end of Nov. I spend most weekends in northwest Connecticut. I don't know how they'll do in deep snow, but in slush and icy conditions the tires just don't grip. They slip and slide. I actually spoke with one of the service managers at the Mazda dealership up there today and asked whether anyone else had complained and if there was any kind of upgrade program for the tires. The answer was no to both questions. If you own your car, I would really consider a set of good winter tires. If you lease the car like I do, the calculation is more complex.

Louise - I picked up a 2017 CX-5 Touring edition with the standard Toyo A36's at the end of Nov. I spend most weekends in northwest Connecticut. I don't know how they'll do in deep snow, but in slush and icy conditions the tires just don't grip. They slip and slide. I actually spoke with one of the service managers at the Mazda dealership up there today and asked whether anyone else had complained and if there was any kind of upgrade program for the tires. The answer was no to both questions. If you own your car, I would really consider a set of good winter tires. If you lease the car like I do, the calculation is more complex.

I have A-23 and in NJ. Over 2 years now deep snow/light snow/packed snow/slush and icy conditions here and there: I have had no issues with tires or grip. 1st. time encountered extreme slippage was 2-3 days back but its attributed to a freak event of nature and not me but tons of cars - suffered. Especially now that I have 5/32 depth remaining I feel Toyo A23 is definitely a good tire but with low trend life and a bit noisy. In terms of handling, wet / snow traction however its very decent in comparison to other all season tires.

So after seeing a few critical threads here about our AWD, I thought I'd put mine to the test. My driveway has a decent uphill slope, and it's currently covered with about an inch of fresh wet snow on top of another half-inch of tightly packed and well-frozen base from last week's storm. It's tough to just walk on, so it's plenty slick. I stopped dead in the middle of the drive, then did both a slow start and a hard start, and had no tracking issues at all. I've just got the factory all-seasons. Just a little slip, as expected, but it trotted right up the hill. No problem.

All this talk about the awd system and the tires is forgetting the other parts of the issue, the driver and the conditions. I would expect slippage on ice. No matter how good your tires are, they will slip. Even studded tires. Then there is the driver. A heavy foot usually contributes to poor traction and slippage.

So after seeing a few critical threads here about our AWD, I thought I'd put mine to the test. My driveway has a decent uphill slope, and it's currently covered with about an inch of fresh wet snow on top of another half-inch of tightly packed and well-frozen base from last week's storm. It's tough to just walk on, so it's plenty slick. I stopped dead in the middle of the drive, then did both a slow start and a hard start, and had no tracking issues at all. I've just got the factory all-seasons. Just a little slip, as expected, but it trotted right up the hill. No problem.
Over Christmas we got freezing rain and about a couple inches of snow. I live on a about a 20% hill and like you I did the start stop on the hill and had no problems getting going again.

All this talk about the awd system and the tires is forgetting the other parts of the issue, the driver and the conditions. I would expect slippage on ice. No matter how good your tires are, they will slip. Even studded tires. Then there is the driver. A heavy foot usually contributes to poor traction and slippage.

I completely second this - especially "heavy foot". There's a guy here ... pops up off and on: Anchorman, basically a dude like us but just happens to know a lot about Mazda along with few other like our moderator - who tends to drive like crazy and mods his vehicle to Kingdom come. These are the folks who taught many about the virtues of having a soft touch (pun intended) to coax out that moan and the Ahs from a car. Attacking with a heavy foot by driving the gas pedal to the floor has only 1 thing - a skid.

Also people need to remember no matter how good the technology is or the AWD system is, nothing can defeat the laws of physics and if they need a vehicle to get through 6 feet of snow and and ice on a 60 degree slope, then they need to buy a snowcat.

Last edited:
Also people need to remember no matter how good the technology is or the AWD system is, nothing can defeat the laws of physics and if the need a vehicle to get through 6 feet of snow and and ice on a 60 degree slope, then they need to buy a snowcat.

AWESOME VIDEO::::: Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvB3h85xSVw

The thing to watch - front tires locked up ; guess why?

Last edited:
30 cars involved!

I lived on a hill and witnessed 17 cars in a simular situation, but with a difference, these were going down a steep hill leading down to a T junction.

Road was frozen snow and ice with 4" of fresh snow on top, every car lost control the moment the car brake lights came on, two or three cars would pile into each other at the bottom.

Exactly what they should teach in Drivers Ed.... various such videos: do NOT use brakes ; do NOT panic ; do NOT gun it. Many thanks to certain individuals here in this forum for all of these pointers. EACH and EVERY car in that 30 car pile-up video had their front tires locked.

Back