Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: No control when there is a few inches of snow

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    You're not wrong regarding the front range. I don't need them, but that's because I do the bolded. It's usually melted after a day and then its weeks or months before the next big storm. We had one in October (melted next day), one in December around the holidays (melted enough in 1 day, melted fully on most roads by 2 days). Who knows when the next storm will hit. But it's just not often. And my typical winter drive is bone dry clear roads.
    I find no fault with that at all. I'm in the same boat here as you are, and do the same. A second set of tires remounted 2x/yr OR a second set of wheels with snows are expensive. And it's really just the icy days that are the big problem. Most reports indicate that these cars are great in the snow [I haven't had a chance to test that myself yet]. But even if you're the best driver on snow and ice in the world, you've still got to worry about those other drivers who aren't, and don't have the best equipment [e.g, 1971 Chevy Caprice automatic with bald all weather tires]!

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I find no fault with that at all. I'm in the same boat here as you are, and do the same. A second set of tires remounted 2x/yr OR a second set of wheels with snows are expensive. And it's really just the icy days that are the big problem. Most reports indicate that these cars are great in the snow [I haven't had a chance to test that myself yet]. But even if you're the best driver on snow and ice in the world, you've still got to worry about those other drivers who aren't, and don't have the best equipment [e.g, 1971 Chevy Caprice automatic with bald all weather tires]!
    I can attest that mine has been absolute tank in the snow, and I managed just fine driving through 3 snowstorms last January from Denver to San Francisco and back. I will absolutely admit that I wanted snow tires for that trip, but alas could not afford them at the time between jobs.

I am confident in my ability to handle driving in weather mostly because of my upbringing in the mountains and learning to drive on far worse and treacherous roads/weather. I know how to drive in the ice/snow, and if I do slip on ice how not to be a jackass about it. It's the other drivers I am not confident in.

That said, if we hit some more snowy winters in the future, I'd probably go ahead and get some snow tires. But now? Nah. My money is on March for the next big snow, then after that? Eh? 4 snowstorms this year at best if even? Meh, I'll save the money.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 01-12-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post

I agree that a major part of my decision to have awd is avoiding the drivers that cannot drive in bad conditions.

2017 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto

Quote Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
    Well, this thread quickly filled up with snarky, condescending, and accusatory replies and very few helpful ones. If I was the OP, I wouldn't stick around either.
    Yes of course you could be right but if I went to the trouble of joining and posted on a forum, I would at least look in for feedback. My suspicion was raised a long time after there was no sign of the OP.

Registered Member

I am also voting that the OP was just trying to inflame members here by the post. The way the OP phrased the comment was more towards trashing the brand rather than trying to find a solution.

We don’t even know if it’s a he or she.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    I am also voting that the OP was just trying to inflame members here by the post. The way the OP phrased the comment was more towards trashing the brand rather than trying to find a solution.

We donít even know if itís a he or she.
    It was a he. I found a video of him walking out to his car.
    https://i.imgur.com/iAszlva.gifv

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by piotrek91 View Post

Hehe. Well done.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by piotrek91 View Post
    My hearty laugh of the day.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5 GS (Touring)

I know exactly what OP is talking about, and it comes down to driving habbits and more importantly,tires. Ive owned 2 AWD cars, a pontiac Vibe and the 13 CX5. In both of those cars with all season tires (with average wear on them) when making a turn my ass end would slide/drift out, especially if you keep on the gas. AWD does NOT necessarily mean it keeps your car anymore straight in the snow, it means you'll have a harder time getting stuck in it more than anything. That being said, when I put winters on the vibe when I had it, that behaviour was drastically decreased so a lot of this is in getting winter tires, but again its also in your winter driving habbits. Actuall today its snowing like made here in Toronto, and I was "having fun" with my CX5 as I dont have winter tires on it drifting on my turns, but I am also fairly comfortable in my winter driving ability (and dont purposely do it in traffic). Lucky for me my daily commute is back roads with not many people on them so I have some "fun" with the car in the snow.

Every year, every first snow fall, I go to an empty parking lot and purposely put myself in a skid/slide/drift you name it, this way I can keep my winter driving skills sharp and to gain confidence to know how to react (counter steer) to put myself straight again. I see this all the time, people have cars that are "AWD" and they think they are automatically safe in the snow and choose to drive normal and not adjust to the conditions....even with snow tires on. The AWD on the CX5 is terrific, but you need to learn how to drive and adjust accordingly in the snow with it and not just assume your good to go because its AWD...and get SNOWS. Im gonna get a set when I finally buy my 2017 CX5.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Lots of words, true ones
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer=enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept, could have been better though
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - 1st lease..I like it, fast and it still does donuts, steering won't let me love it

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

My CX-5 with AWD and winter tyres has been rock steady on ice and snow. I can not get it to slide or slip. My previous 2 WD cars would always slide on turns on icy road with winter tyres and some speed.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

When I was young, going to the parking lot of any big box or grocery store your first winter with your license was almost a right of passage. Everyone did it.

No better way to learn how to react when a car breaks loose from traction.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    When I was young, going to the parking lot of any big box or grocery store your first winter with your license was almost a right of passage. Everyone did it.

Exactly. Today’s parking lots with the speed bumps are a bit less friendly but there are places to do this if one keeps their eyes open

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX5 GS (Touring)

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post

Ha, im 41, and still take enjoyment in a fresh snow in a parking lot lol :O

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Living in southern Ontario and in the snow belt region, I can say that my 2017 cx-5 awd with snow tires has handled ice and snow with ease and confidence, I also have a long steep driveway that is very challenging for most all vehicles when covered with snow and it makes it up with ease and just as good as my gmc truck 4x4.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast