No control when there is a few inches of snow

You're not wrong regarding the front range. I don't need them, but that's because I do the bolded. It's usually melted after a day and then its weeks or months before the next big storm. We had one in October (melted next day), one in December around the holidays (melted enough in 1 day, melted fully on most roads by 2 days). Who knows when the next storm will hit. But it's just not often. And my typical winter drive is bone dry clear roads.

I find no fault with that at all. I'm in the same boat here as you are, and do the same. A second set of tires remounted 2x/yr OR a second set of wheels with snows are expensive. And it's really just the icy days that are the big problem. Most reports indicate that these cars are great in the snow [I haven't had a chance to test that myself yet]. But even if you're the best driver on snow and ice in the world, you've still got to worry about those other drivers who aren't, and don't have the best equipment [e.g, 1971 Chevy Caprice automatic with bald all weather tires]!

I find no fault with that at all. I'm in the same boat here as you are, and do the same. A second set of tires remounted 2x/yr OR a second set of wheels with snows are expensive. And it's really just the icy days that are the big problem. Most reports indicate that these cars are great in the snow [I haven't had a chance to test that myself yet]. But even if you're the best driver on snow and ice in the world, you've still got to worry about those other drivers who aren't, and don't have the best equipment [e.g, 1971 Chevy Caprice automatic with bald all weather tires]!

I can attest that mine has been absolute tank in the snow, and I managed just fine driving through 3 snowstorms last January from Denver to San Francisco and back. I will absolutely admit that I wanted snow tires for that trip, but alas could not afford them at the time between jobs.

I am confident in my ability to handle driving in weather mostly because of my upbringing in the mountains and learning to drive on far worse and treacherous roads/weather. I know how to drive in the ice/snow, and if I do slip on ice how not to be a jackass about it. It's the other drivers I am not confident in. (lol)

That said, if we hit some more snowy winters in the future, I'd probably go ahead and get some snow tires. But now? Nah. My money is on March for the next big snow, then after that? Eh? 4 snowstorms this year at best if even? Meh, I'll save the money.

Last edited:

I agree that a major part of my decision to have awd is avoiding the drivers that cannot drive in bad conditions.

Well, this thread quickly filled up with snarky, condescending, and accusatory replies and very few helpful ones. If I was the OP, I wouldn't stick around either.

Yes of course you could be right but if I went to the trouble of joining and posted on a forum, I would at least look in for feedback. My suspicion was raised a long time after there was no sign of the OP.

I am also voting that the OP was just trying to inflame members here by the post. The way the OP phrased the comment was more towards trashing the brand rather than trying to find a solution.

We don’t even know if it’s a he or she.

I know exactly what OP is talking about, and it comes down to driving habbits and more importantly,tires. Ive owned 2 AWD cars, a pontiac Vibe and the 13 CX5. In both of those cars with all season tires (with average wear on them) when making a turn my ass end would slide/drift out, especially if you keep on the gas. AWD does NOT necessarily mean it keeps your car anymore straight in the snow, it means you'll have a harder time getting stuck in it more than anything. That being said, when I put winters on the vibe when I had it, that behaviour was drastically decreased so a lot of this is in getting winter tires, but again its also in your winter driving habbits. Actuall today its snowing like made here in Toronto, and I was "having fun" with my CX5 as I dont have winter tires on it drifting on my turns, but I am also fairly comfortable in my winter driving ability (and dont purposely do it in traffic). Lucky for me my daily commute is back roads with not many people on them so I have some "fun" with the car in the snow.

Every year, every first snow fall, I go to an empty parking lot and purposely put myself in a skid/slide/drift you name it, this way I can keep my winter driving skills sharp and to gain confidence to know how to react (counter steer) to put myself straight again. I see this all the time, people have cars that are "AWD" and they think they are automatically safe in the snow and choose to drive normal and not adjust to the conditions....even with snow tires on. The AWD on the CX5 is terrific, but you need to learn how to drive and adjust accordingly in the snow with it and not just assume your good to go because its AWD...and get SNOWS. Im gonna get a set when I finally buy my 2017 CX5.

My CX-5 with AWD and winter tyres has been rock steady on ice and snow. I can not get it to slide or slip. My previous 2 WD cars would always slide on turns on icy road with winter tyres and some speed.

When I was young, going to the parking lot of any big box or grocery store your first winter with your license was almost a right of passage. Everyone did it.

No better way to learn how to react when a car breaks loose from traction.

When I was young, going to the parking lot of any big box or grocery store your first winter with your license was almost a right of passage. Everyone did it.

Exactly. Today’s parking lots with the speed bumps are a bit less friendly but there are places to do this if one keeps their eyes open

Ha, im 41, and still take enjoyment in a fresh snow in a parking lot lol :O

Living in southern Ontario and in the snow belt region, I can say that my 2017 cx-5 awd with snow tires has handled ice and snow with ease and confidence, I also have a long steep driveway that is very challenging for most all vehicles when covered with snow and it makes it up with ease and just as good as my gmc truck 4x4.

I've had this happen once. It occurred in very shallow snow, on the pavement. IT was a result of snowfall, melting on the road, then as the temps plummeted, it formed ice, and then snow fell and stuck on top of it. I had to proceed very carefully about my day. Nothing short of chains, or an all-out snow tire is going to 100% mitigate this.

I had my 2017 CX-5 out in some serious snowfall Saturday night, and I live in an area with lots of twisty roads and I was surprised at how well the AWD system worked!

I had a 2011 Rav4 before and that had a great AWD system, but this CX-5 felt a lot more sure-footed in the snow!

Back