2018 CX-9 Heavy Rain & Wet Road Handling - What Say You?

Wait until you get about 30k miles on those tires, then report back on how it handles in the rain and snow.

This is the very first week around where I live that rain has been in the forecast on consecutive days in a very long time. 24hrs at Le Rain, as been the story line out where I live lately. I've been waiting for this since August, 2017, and now it is here.

This vehicle no doubt impressed me on dry roads. Well, I can now state unequivocally that it actually impresses me even more on wet roads. This is my first time taking it out and experiencing what it can do and I now have even more confidence in its ability to handle unsettling wet road conditions. It does not take much to hydroplane a vehicle. Yet, I have driven at freeway speeds through free standing water as if it were not even there.

Attributable no doubt to its Falken Tires, AWD System and its new G-Vectoring (included in the 2018 CX-9), this vehicle's wet road performance has been outstanding in my opinion. The combination of those things seems to provide a seamless transition into, through and out of road conditions that I know for a fact would have unsettled several of my past automobiles and they were no slouches when it came to performance.

Now, that I know how this vehicle gobbles up hydroplaning freeway conditions in stride, I'll take it into the canyons and press my way through some turns to note the differences between its dry road handling and its wet road handling in the twisters. Exploring the CX-9's engineered performance capabilities has been equally as fun as just driving it on a daily basis no doubt, if not more fun.

Oh, and by the way - the CX-9 Signature just recently got yet another compliment offered up by someone who just purchased another basic trim 2018 Audi Q5 (this is the second genuine compliment from a brand new Audi owner in 5 months). The new Audi owner stopped by while I was doing a Meguiar's quick spray detail at the rack and asked me how I liked it. We talked about it for a few minutes while I was detailing the outside. I then opened the passenger side door, she looked in, saw the interior and nearly had a baby right there on the spot. She said, "Oh! That's so nice... I hope I don't develop buyers remorse after seeing this!"

Yep. The Signature making Q5 owners feel like they might be having a little remorse after the purchase. You can't make this stuff up. Her Q5 was in beautiful brilliant White, too. I think that was part of the attraction for her as my Signature is in beautiful White Pearl.

One more very important reason why the CX-9 has made us happy customers!

I agree, I got some falken tires on my nissan maxima, they are almost bald and the grip in rain is still absolutely phenomenal. the OEM Yokohama tires on my Mazda are also very good in the rain. they pair well to the Mazda and they allow you to drive through rain at ridiculous speeds.

and then the michellin pilot super sport tires on my BMW... the grip is insane.

Wait until you get about 30k miles on those tires, then report back on how it handles in the rain and snow.

A new Mazda CX-9 (pick your trim) with good tires in the wet. I would expect an inverse relationship between tread wear and handling performance and I would therefore curb both my enthusiastic dry road driving and my sensible wet grip expectations.

...and then the michellin pilot super sport tires on my BMW... the grip is insane.

I'm having some difficulty finding Michelin Tires that fit the CX-9 and that also I like. Have you found some - if so, where? One of the first places I've always checked was TireRack, given their size and fit matrix online for a wide array of OEM products - easily searched.

I had the same sentiment as MG and Gatuno at first. My 18 came with Bridgestone Ecopia tires, and my first week with the car happened to be during a cold snap with some icy roads. Lost traction in a traffic circle a couple of times, nothing crazy, tires would just break loose for a fraction of a second. I thought I'd have to get new tires as well, but it turns out that all of my tires were overinflated (45-50 PSI). I lowered them down to 37-38 and they performed much better in the same conditions. Mileage has also improved. So, for any Canadians with the Ecopias and traction issues, check your tire pressure!

I've dropped mine down to 34 a couple of weeks ago, doesn't seem to make much of a difference....

Combination of newly fallen snow and sand seems to be the worst combo.....

Snow driving been excellent with the Falkens. It accelerates very linear in the snow, hardly any side to side drifting... I'll have to say that my previous Gen CX-9 was pretty decent in the snow too, with OEM tires

I'm having some difficulty finding Michelin Tires that fit the CX-9 and that also I like. Have you found some - if so, where? One of the first places I've always checked was TireRack, given their size and fit matrix online for a wide array of OEM products - easily searched.
I don't have them on the CX-9, but we have Premier LTXs (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=203) on my wife's MDX, and they're phenomenal. We both like them quite a bit, and per Tire Rack they are available in 255/50-20. Once the Falkens wear out I'll probably switch over to these.

As for wet/snow performance, I can't speak to the Falkens as I threw on some winter wheels with Blizzaks within a week of getting the CX-9. I will say that with the Blizzaks the CX-9 drives superbly in the snow. We got a "storm" (~4" - 5" of snow) just after I had the Blizzaks put on, and the CX-9 handled the snow like a champ. At no point did my confidence in the vehicle waver, even going around a snowy, sort-of-plowed highway curve at 65mph.

I don't have them on the CX-9, but we have Premier LTXs (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=203) on my wife's MDX, and they're phenomenal. We both like them quite a bit, and per Tire Rack they are available in 255/50-20. Once the Falkens wear out I'll probably switch over to these.

Do you have the MDX Advanced? In the end, I called my Acura guy and finally told him thanks for the test drives and the time to evaluate it, just before I bought the Signature. It came the closest and finished a very strong second place. I just felt that the SH-AWD was a bit too intrusive each time I drove it - though there were some aspects about the way Acura goes about implementing and integrating their torque vectoring with AWD that I did like.

Snow driving been excellent with the Falkens. It accelerates very linear in the snow, hardly any side to side drifting... I'll have to say that my previous Gen CX-9 was pretty decent in the snow too, with OEM tires

As for wet/snow performance, I can't speak to the Falkens as I threw on some winter wheels with Blizzaks within a week of getting the CX-9. I will say that with the Blizzaks the CX-9 drives superbly in the snow. We got a "storm" (~4" - 5" of snow) just after I had the Blizzaks put on, and the CX-9 handled the snow like a champ. At no point did my confidence in the vehicle waver, even going around a snowy, sort-of-plowed highway curve at 65mph.

Doesn't look like super heavy snowfall up in the Sierras where I live at this time, but I'll no doubt throw on some winter rubber before we venture up there. Thanks for the Snow Report guys!

Do you have the MDX Advanced? In the end, I called my Acura guy and finally told him thanks for the test drives and the time to evaluate it, just before I bought the Signature. It came the closest and finished a very strong second place. I just felt that the SH-AWD was a bit too intrusive each time I drove it - though there were some aspects about the way Acura goes about implementing and integrating their torque vectoring with AWD that I did like.

No, we have an older (2012) MDX Tech w/ Entertainment. My wife likes it primarily because it's smaller than most 3-row SUV/crossovers and, in her mind, drives that way (read: easier to back in and pull out of parking spots, etc.).

No, we have an older (2012) MDX Tech w/ Entertainment. My wife likes it primarily because it's smaller than most 3-row SUV/crossovers and, in her mind, drives that way (read: easier to back in and pull out of parking spots, etc.).

Interesting. I somehow like the older design better than the newest refresh. The rear-end blends in better with the rest of the vehicle. The new refresh changed that and now it protrudes outward from the body a bit more than I would like.

I've always did like the MDX. I hope that Acura Build Quality and service after the sale matches the appearance of the vehicle!

Back