Mazda 5 Monroe Shocks 1.5" shorter than OEM

linuxology

:
Mazda5_Sport
Bought some Monroe shocks for replacement on a 2009 Mazda 5. The shock is clearly 1.5" shorter than the OEM. I have contacted the Monroe and they state...

"Monroe uses an improved rebound extension prevention method than the OE and other aftermarket manufactures. We use a spring instead of a bumper. The spring provided better handling and smoother operation. "

Not exactly sure what this means, but I call and the Monroe rep tells me to jack up the control arm so it fits, then bolt every thing up and then let the tension off the jack. Not sure of this advice and don't want to shear off a bolt that the shock connects to. I did not have to jack up control arms, for the OEM shock, so hesitant to do it for the Monroe. Any insights?

Pics here --->
monroe.jpg

That's not that much shorter... it may not make a difference at full extension, given the range of the rear suspension. My aftermarket shocks are short enough to actually limit the droop travel of the suspension quite a bit. The Monroes will function fine, but you may lose a touch of droop travel if you hit a huge dip, or if you go airborne.

Hmmm

My bilstein replacement for my 2012 were the same size as oem

Really firmed up the ride too

Back