Looking at the CX-9 from the other side?

Don't give in to the "troll"...he doesn't even own a CX9 but always on this forum posting...sure owns a Mazda but a sedan and not the CX9...anyway go search Kia forums and you'll find A LOT of issues with the Sorento as well...no brand is exempt from zero or no reliability issues. The only good thing going for the Kia/Hyundai brands is the value for money (tons of features for the money) and the longer warranty than other manufacturers but even their warranty has a lot of disclaimers meaning they won't simply cover anything that breaks as they have a list of items not covered

I know, thanks. He owns a Minivan and he thinks its an SUV. I actually liked the Sorrento. However, when I sat in it at an auto show distinctly felt like a Van to me and that's not what I was looking for. I'll give it to Kia on two levels, however. They are now punching outside their weight class, no doubt about it. They are also making vehicles that look more appealing at a faster clip than Huyndai did back in the late 80's when it was trying to find its groove. Remember, those old Hyundai - they were scary by any standard - both from a safety standpoint and aesthetically speaking. Kia, is moving faster than Hyundai and probably in part to learning from Hyundai's mistakes of the past - hopefully that's the case.

However, it is still a Kia and they are still learning the art of connecting the driver to the vehicle and the road - if they actually care about those things. Whereas, in Mazda's case, they've been working on that level of sophisticated engineering for quite some time and have become adept at it. I have not driven any of the other Mazdas on the market today, but you can certainly feel that level of connection in the CX-9. The more you drive it, the more you want to drive it. That's rare for an inexpensive mass produced automobile.

Kia, is basically Hyundai, absent all the mistakes Hyundai made in the past. That's pretty much the long and short of it and it partly explains why Genesis needed to be separated from Hyundai's past.

Every warranty is like that. Go check. Here mazda won’t even acknowledge my warped rotors when there is clearly a recall for rear caliper dragging.

You are confused who the troll is. This cracks me every time which you guys use it as a weak defence. Why do I have to own the cx9 to critique it? How about driving as well as spending ample time in one over past 2-3 years.

Not a defense...just an observation as I would rather get relevant info and feedback from existing CX9 owners in this forum than from trollers who simply rants and gives unsolicited advice eventually not contributing anything useful but we don't always get what we want right? My point for the warranty was Hyundai/Kia is using the longer warranty to its advantage in selling their vehicles but in a way misleading customers when making claims. Yes I know most manufacturers always try to get out of warranty claims as it is what it is...but having an extra 1-2 yr warranty over the standard 3yr warranty won't convince me to buy a vehicle. It's good to have but not a deciding factor...

Btw the front and side profile (more on the front part) of the Sorento looks like the Sedona minivan...that's why it seems like a minivan disguised as an SUV

Last edited:
I know, thanks. He owns a Minivan and he thinks its an SUV. I actually liked the Sorrento. However, when I sat in it at an auto show distinctly felt like a Van to me and that's not what I was looking for. I'll give it to Kia on two levels, however. They are now punching outside their weight class, no doubt about it. They are also making vehicles that look more appealing at a faster clip than Huyndai did back in the late 80's when it was trying to find its groove. Remember, those old Hyundai - they were scary by any standard - both from a safety standpoint and aesthetically speaking. Kia, is moving faster than Hyundai and probably in part to learning from Hyundai's mistakes of the past - hopefully that's the case.

However, it is still a Kia and they are still learning the art of connecting the driver to the vehicle and the road - if they actually care about those things. Whereas, in Mazda's case, they've been working on that level of sophisticated engineering for quite some time and have become adept at it. I have not driven any of the other Mazdas on the market today, but you can certainly feel that level of connection in the CX-9. The more you drive it, the more you want to drive it. That's rare for an inexpensive mass produced automobile.

Kia, is basically Hyundai, absent all the mistakes Hyundai made in the past. That's pretty much the long and short of it and it partly explains why Genesis needed to be separated from Hyundai's past.

I've driven a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Ltd trim for 3K Kms in span of 2 wks last summer and while that vehicle is different than the Sorento I am pretty sure that it shares most of the under pinnings and parts with its sister company. Maybe their tunings and cabin design differ but for most of the parts they are probably shared including the engine and other designs. All I can say is that the Santa Fe ticks most boxes making it one of best bang for buck propositions and is cheap (price wise).

However, ride was jarring and lots of body roll and I had no confidence driving it around corners and the interior just screamed of cheapness due to tons of hard plastics plus ergonomics were bad (shifter, console and arm rest too low, controls weren't well thought out in terms of placement, etc) while engine and transmission were smooth it was nowhere near the CX9 in terms of ext/int design, ride, handling, fit & finish and the CX9 in fact was comparable to the RX350 (which I almost bought 2yrs ago). Good thing I didn't as I could've spent $12-15K more just to get the same features...

Its called Napa Leather Seating and it exists in all three rows of the Signature trim that I have:

Aao4MVewXqDkkJCvoaqz9M9ce9q47D.png

Nope.

Napa leather-trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions)

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-9/specs

I've gotten some good info from both of these two posters. (maybe not in this thread :) ) One defending his decision not to buy the CX9 and to go with another vehicle and the other defending his trading up from a 2017 to a 2018 of the same car. Not necessarily a smart financial decision but he had his reasons none the less. I welcome their continuing comments in the future, but I think I'll skip this thread from now on.

Looking at the CX-9 from the “other” side?

I've driven a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Ltd trim for 3K Kms in span of 2 wks last summer and while that vehicle is different than the Sorento I am pretty sure that it shares most of the under pinnings and parts with its sister company. Maybe their tunings and cabin design differ but for most of the parts they are probably shared including the engine and other designs. All I can say is that the Santa Fe ticks most boxes making it one of best bang for buck propositions and is cheap (price wise).

However, ride was jarring and lots of body roll and I had no confidence driving it around corners and the interior just screamed of cheapness due to tons of hard plastics plus ergonomics were bad (shifter, console and arm rest too low, controls weren't well thought out in terms of placement, etc) while engine and transmission were smooth it was nowhere near the CX9 in terms of ext/int design, ride, handling, fit & finish and the CX9 in fact was comparable to the RX350 (which I almost bought 2yrs ago). Good thing I didn't as I could've spent $12-15K more just to get the same features...

Yup. Sorento and Santa Fe are quite different. They just share engine transmission infotainment and other electronics. Frame chassis tuning interior and exterior Quality is superior in Sorento. Sorento frame is made of a super strong steel same as Porsche and chassis and suspension were tuned at Nurburgring. Reason is Sorento hired Audi design chief as well as BMW M chief designers. A look at the new stinger will blow you away.

Yup. Sorento and Santa Fe are quite different. They just share engine transmission infotainment and other electronics. Frame chassis tuning interior and exterior Quality is superior in Sorento. Sorento frame is made of a super strong steel same as Porsche and chassis and suspension were tuned at Nurburgring. Reason is Sorento hired Audi design chief as well as BMW M chief designers. A look at the new stinger will blow you away.

Maybe...but both are still a Kia/Hyundai so I won't buy either of them. They're not know for driving dynamics and not sure what their DNA is other than value. At least with Mazda they stuck to their DNA of driving matters...

Maybe...but both are still a Kia/Hyundai so I won't buy either of them. They're not know for driving dynamics and not sure what their DNA is other than value. At least with Mazda they stuck to their DNA of driving matters...

I am a former owner of 2 Hyundai santa fez, both v6. I got to say they were not bad at all, they did what they are intended for. when I was going to change my last santa fe, I was in between a pilot santa fe and a Sorrento, thank god a mazda rep called e before I made my decision asking me to try the new mazda, believe me guys, there is sooo much difference between the CX9 and the others, its another leage, yes the others are roomier...that's it.

what is in my mind regarding my decision in 2022 is.. : What will mazda bring us at that time? for the same fair price? lets hope it impresses me as this one did .
I'm posting a link here about a thread that I posted here a few months ago. its about why I purchased a cx9 .

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862574-why-i-purchased-a-cx9-)&highlight=

He compared a Kia Sorento to a Porsche? We had a 7 seat Kia on our trip to Jeju and it sure drove like a Macan...

Not a defense...just an observation as I would rather get relevant info and feedback from existing CX9 owners in this forum than from trollers who simply rants and gives unsolicited advice eventually not contributing anything useful but we don't always get what we want right? My point for the warranty was Hyundai/Kia is using the longer warranty to its advantage in selling their vehicles but in a way misleading customers when making claims. Yes I know most manufacturers always try to get out of warranty claims as it is what it is...but having an extra 1-2 yr warranty over the standard 3yr warranty won't convince me to buy a vehicle. It's good to have but not a deciding factor...

Btw the front and side profile (more on the front part) of the Sorento looks like the Sedona minivan...that's why it seems like a minivan disguised as an SUV

What a BS argument. The extended warranty is just an added bonus and yes it works as well as others. Sorento might look like the Sedona which is necessarily a good thing as Sedona IS the best looking van out there that looks more like a crossover than a van. Infact thats why Sorento is so efficiently packaged while still looking good where as CX-9 is all about looks where its the longest crossover with the least interior volume (just lot of empty spaces between body panels and interiors).

Agree to most of it but for a family CX-9 is not practical. Drive a Sorento and you might be surprised how well it handles. Many reviews attest to that. I won't post links here but check Alex on Autos and Savagegeese and others on youtube and other website which praise the Sorento handling. Again if I wanted handling, thats why I have my Mazda6.

Last edited:
Agree to most of it but for a family CX-9 is not practical. Drive a Sorento and you might be surprised how well it handles. Many reviews attest to that. I won't post links here but check Alex on Autos and Savagegeese and others on youtube and other website which praise the Sorento handling. Again if I wanted handling, thats why I have my Mazda6.

I thoroughly test drove a Sorento.

I was surprised... It handled and accelerated better than I thought!

I remember it having a nice techno rig, comfortable driver seat and not so comfy rear seat.
At that time, I think the third row was optional.

The CX-9 and Sorento are different animals.

If I said one is "better" than the other, I'd be FOS.

If you've driven both, you know the differences.

The Sorento is a nice car for sure, especially when one considers the price.

Same thing can be said for Mazda when comparing higher up the ladder with BMW, Audi etc.

What a BS argument. The extended warranty is just an added bonus and yes it works as well as others. Sorento might look like the Sedona which is necessarily a good thing as Sedona IS the best looking van out there that looks more like a crossover than a van. Infact thats why Sorento is so efficiently packaged while still looking good where as CX-9 is all about looks where its the longest crossover with the least interior volume (just lot of empty spaces between body panels and interiors).

BS to you but not to me...we can agree to disagree so let's just leave it at that and just troll somewhere else...still looks like a minivan to me and I won't even consider it just for the looks and the brand image...Sedona best looking minivan? Maybe in your eyes as that's subjective...I don't even care about minivans anymore so it is what it is

Dude, you gotta stop calling the CX-9 not practical for families. That's a ludicrous statement, especially from a Sorento owner. Are you talking about families of 8 or more? Most families throughout history have gotten along just fine with sedans. How can a 7 passenger crossover not be practical?

Guys, as mentioned earlier don't feed the troll...just ignore! Not worth it...

Guys, as mentioned earlier don't feed the troll...just ignore! Not worth it...

So the guy pointing out facts is a troll and all the fanboys incessantly lavishing blindfold praises ignoring obvious majority shortcomings are not. Swapped polarities or backwards thinking ?

Back