Looking at the CX-9 from the other side?

G

Guest2017

Looking at the CX-9 from the other side?

Looking at the CX-9 from the other side, do you intend to purchase the next version of the CX-9? Fast forward yourself into the future (who knows maybe 2022 or 2023) if you had to make a decision right now (meaning right now in the future), would you be a buyer of the next iteration of the CX-9 from Mazda?

For me personally, the only way that I could not see myself buying the next iteration of the CX-9, is if Volvo actually took the Inscription variant of its XC-90 and reduce the price down to where the CX-9 is today.

Probably not a snowballs chance of that happening, so Im certainly a buyer of the next CX-9, no doubt. For me, its just that good right now!

Why? Because Canyons, in an SUV thats not supposed to be able to run them, Matters! 😇

Custom_T-_Shirts_-_Design_Your_Own_T-_Shirts_Online_-_Free_Shippin.png

Last edited:
I've only had my CX9 GT for a few weeks and really like it but no, I don't see myself getting another one next time. I tend to keep my cars around 8-10 years. I would expect that my next car will be all electric and Mazda doesn't seem to have embraced the electric motor as of yet. My wife drives a Tesla Model S and once you've gotten used to electric it's tough to go back to internal combustion. If the CX9 made some great noise it might be different but it does sound pretty pathetic, especially when cold. By the time I replace this one I am sure there will be a variety of EV's out there and the prices will be comparable to ICE cars.

I've only had my CX9 GT for a few weeks and really like it but no, I don't see myself getting another one next time.

Ouch!

I tend to keep my cars around 8-10 years. I would expect that my next car will be all electric and Mazda doesn't seem to have embraced the electric motor as of yet.

Which is why I suggested in another thread that I started that Mazda team-up with Keonigsegg on a strategic venture to bring the masses into Solar Electric power storage and accumulation technology, which will be the proverbial light year ahead of current chemical cell based battery technology now powering most EVs. If the current joint between Swedish NLV and Keonigsegg had Mazda behind it - the whole world would have to stand up and take notice of the new EV technology that came from such a venture. Somebody needs to unite these three entities into one for EV purposes.

My wife drives a Tesla Model S and once you've gotten used to electric it's tough to go back to internal combustion. If the CX9 made some great noise it might be different but it does sound pretty pathetic, especially when cold. By the time I replace this one I am sure there will be a variety of EV's out there and the prices will be comparable to ICE cars.

I think there will be more EVs. We can see that in the concepts being trotted out with more frequency at shows and events. However, I don't see the pricing making a significant move south and I don't see the styling necessary to pull in a serious contingency of buyers either. I also don't see interior design along the areas of comfort and convenience where it needs to be. Hopefully, that will all change with time.

As far as the CX-9 engine and exhaust notes are concerned, I've actually come to like them both - given what the vehicle is all about. I especially have come to better appreciate the exhaust note on WOT. Now, most people are not driving their CX-9 that way, but I sure do on occasion and I think it fits. I just saw and SRT going down the highway yesterday and somebody installed a catback system on it. The exhaust note put it on par with my previous C5 Corvette's Borla system. Way too much for an SUV and I'm sure that droning sound wears out the occupants in no time flat.

Good hunting for that Sports EV!

You are still high on cx9 obviously. There are better cars out there. [emoji13]

You are still high on cx9 obviously. There are better cars out there. [emoji13]

Its still the greatest little seven passenger SUV with adaptive characteristics that I could not find in any another seven passenger SUV having the same price specifications, anywhere. If you can name one. I'm all S-Turns!

Looking at the CX-9 from the “other” side?

Other than the handling aspect there are many better in terms of value and space. This is a family crossover category first and canyon carver last. However you dice it that is the truth! Yes better handling will mitigate the family throwing up while you haul ass in the curves but no sane person will do it with family on board. It is important to get the Right tool for the right purpose. Get a sports car/ sedan for that. Or better a motorcycle

Looking at the CX-9 from the other side, do you intend to purchase the next version of the CX-9? Fast forward yourself into the future (who knows maybe 2022 or 2023)

For me personally, the only way that I could not see myself buying the next iteration of the CX-9, is if Volvo actually took the Inscription variant of its XC-90 and reduce the price down to where the CX-9 is today.

If you're still into the XC-90, be prepared for a non-conventional engine. As you may already know, in 2019 Volvo is implementing full on hybrids or electrics.

If the future CX-9 has no CVT, no hybrid motor and is still a blast to drive, I'm interested.

Other than the handling aspect there are many better in terms of value and space.

Highly subjective. Besides, what's more important than Handling & Performance at the end of the day, LOL! Of course, I'm probably the wrong person to put that question to, anyway.

This is a family crossover category first and canyon carver last.

Though, I have found it to be both, simultaneous, together, all at once and at the same time, LOL! (nana) I drove out a long way to look at a new H&K yesterday. I could have taken the easy way home, but instead took the long way working out towards the coast and then turning north. Why? Because, Canyons Matter! (2thumbs) Besides, it gave me a good reason to stop at my favorite pizzeria on the way home.

However you dice it that is the truth!

But, in the CX-9, I have the choice to slice and dice the canyons or just slowly enjoy the scenery along the way. Now, if this were a Honda Pilot, as just one example - I'd only have one option. Not that it is a bad option, but its only one option. The Engineers over at Mazda, gave me two options. I can creep along and enjoy the view, or I can ride the higher side of the RPM band they hold-in for me when the computer detects aggressive throttle and then let the G-Vectoring along with the rest of iSKYACTIV Vehicle Dynamics do its job for that 'Le Mans'esk' kind of trip back home (assuming I have the road all to myself). Can't do that in a Toyota Highlanda. (rei)

Yes better handling will mitigate the family throwing up while you haul ass in the curves but no sane person will do it with family on board.

True.

It is important to get the Right tool for the right purpose. Get a sports car/ sedan for that. Or better a motorcycle

LOL, get a "sports car" for that? That's funny. If I drove my canyons in my old C5 the same way I am able to drive the CX-9 in those same canyons, I would probably not be here right now as the back end of the C5 would have pushed out a long, long, long time ago my dear friend. My 3000 GT SL would have snow-plowed its front-end over one of those canyons and that would have been the end of me, too. The Eclipse would have done the same.

Even the old 1986 RX-7, though it was a Mazda, would have left its back-end hanging over the edge of one of those cliffs. My old Dodge Viper, would have kicked my butt before its rear-end went over the edge, just to spite me! A real sports car? You probably need AWD in my neck of the woods as a "real sports car" used to mean Rear-Wheel Drive only. Today, "real sports car" is defined differently.

I did not buy the CX-9 because I can carve canyons with it (as the video proves). I bought the CX-9 because I wanted more room than a real sports car provides, more comfort than a real sports car provides, more longevity than a real sports car provides, longer legs than a real sports car provides, more space, more utility, more practicality and more daily availability than a real sports car. When I found out that it can also carve up a few canyons, well heck, that was just a bonus!

If you're still into the XC-90, be prepared for a non-conventional engine. As you may already know, in 2019 Volvo is implementing full on hybrids or electrics.

If the future CX-9 has no CVT, no hybrid motor and is still a blast to drive, I'm interested.

Absolutely, no CVT and no hybrid powerplant. I don't mind however, if Mazda goes full-on electric with the CX-9, however. That would make it ridiculously fun to drive. Its very fun to drive right now, but that would make it ridiculously fun. I don't mind ridiculous. I really don't. In fact, I welcome it. Bring on the ECX-9. That would certainly give it more than 300hp combined at both axles, depending on how they integrated and distributed the torque.

Right now, I'm smelling smoke from an electrical fire when coming off the line against the Tesla Model X. There's just no comparison. So, an ECX-9 would solve that little problem for me - making the Model X driver smell that electrical fire for once. Those Teslas are really, really quick.

Custom_Shirt_2.png

Last edited:
The automotive landscape is changing so fast right now, it's impossible to predict what will be available in ten years, let alone predict what model vehicle I'll be buying.
I keep my cars at least 10 years as well, and everytime I'm due for a new one, I buy something different.
Not because I didn't like my last car, but more because the choices have changed so much in that time period.

On a side note, I'm definitely not one of those people that blindly buys the latest version of the same car, without considering anything else.
I know a lot of people that don't research, shop around or look at other cars. They just buy a new version of what they have.
Case in point: my sister-in-law bought a new CR-V to replace her 2005 CR-V. She just walked into the Honda dealer and plopped down her money on the first one she saw. Ugh.

Looking at the CX-9 from the “other” side, do you intend to purchase the next version of the CX-9? Fast forward yourself into the future (who knows maybe 2022 or 2023) if you had to make a decision right now (meaning right now in the future), would you be a buyer of the next iteration of the CX-9 from Mazda?

Probably not a snowballs chance of that happening, so I’m certainly a buyer of the next CX-9, no doubt. For me, it’s just that good right now!

Why? Because Canyons, in an SUV that’s not supposed to be able to run them, Matters! ��

How can anyone legitimately say what replacement car they will buy in 4-5 years, having no idea what the then-current generation of the CX-9 or any competitor will be like in any way? About as ridiculous as suggesting that Volvo (or any lux car maker) may reduce the price on the next gen XC-90.

How can anyone legitimately say what replacement car they will buy in 4-5 years, having no idea what the then-current generation of the CX-9 or any competitor will be like in any way? About as ridiculous as suggesting that Volvo (or any lux car maker) may reduce the price on the next gen XC-90.

My prediction is that in 2022, the CX9 will either have been cancelled or will be essentially the same as what is on sale today. The previous generation sold from 2007 to 2015 with minimal updates. Given that it is selling at a similar rate, and that Mazda is now not partnered with Ford, expecting an update to happen faster is not realistic.

Case in point: my sister-in-law bought a new CR-V to replace her 2005 CR-V. She just walked into the Honda dealer and plopped down her money on the first one she saw. Ugh.

I don't know. Your sister-in-law might have a point! I kinda like the new 2018 Honda CRV from the outside, that is. I wonder why.... (initiate daydream sequence). Oh! I know why! Maybe it is because that new tail-light assembly looks strikingly similar to the Volvo design and the overall mode shape of the CRV now leans toward the overall mode shapes found in the new CX-9. Ah, yes. I knew there was something nagging at me about the new CRV. (shady)

I think Honda, is clearly guilty of ripping both Volvo's and Mazda's exterior spirit on this one! That's not a bad rip, but it is a rip nonetheless. I kinda like the new CRV look. Don't know much about how it performs. Maybe, she's in love with the performance and the new looks?

YvyAuIJxhCxtpRe6OthMf5BzbwA3mm.png

I can see how this would appeal to a lot of Women. Of course, I think the newly designed CX-3 is much hotter. In fact, I suspect (or hope) that some of the CX-3 longitudinal lines start to appear in the CX-9. It has a sportier look along its longitude.

Last edited:
How can anyone legitimately say what replacement car they will buy in 4-5 years, having no idea what the then-current generation of the CX-9 or any competitor will be like in any way?

"(meaning right now in the future)"
[/quote]

That's how. In other words, if now were the future and you were faced with making a decision right now and the other variables (other manufacturers not making strong appealing moves) I mentioned were at play. What would you do, if you still wanted an SUV?

About as ridiculous as suggesting that Volvo (or any lux car maker) may reduce the price on the next gen XC-90.

I think you might have slightly missed the point. It was a qualified hypothetical based on objective criterion being met.

My prediction is that in 2022, the CX9 will either have been cancelled or will be essentially the same as what is on sale today. The previous generation sold from 2007 to 2015 with minimal updates. Given that it is selling at a similar rate, and that Mazda is now not partnered with Ford, expecting an update to happen faster is not realistic.

The only relationship that Ford had with Mazda was on Ford's stock report and Mazda's balance sheet just under the sub-section, toilet supplies. There was no real design input from Ford, on what Mazda did that made any real difference in the end. I think the new design of the CX-9 is far different than its predecessor and I'm beginning to see more CX-9s on the road now than I did when I first began looking at it.

Cancelled in 2022? LOL, now that was funny! This one has legs and you are about to see those legs grow. This one turns heads where its predecessor did not. This one causes Audi owners who just bought, to question whether or not they did the right thing - that's a stunning warrant issued for the future continuance and improvement of the CX-9!

"(meaning right now in the future)"

That's how. In other words, if now were the future and you were faced with making a decision right now and the other variables (other manufacturers not making strong appealing moves) I mentioned were at play. What would you do, if you still wanted an SUV?

Right now and in the future are two mutually exclusive things. I can assume everything is the same in 2022 as it is today--but that's just making a decision based on what's on the market now. I can even factor in what I've read is coming on the market next MY--like the '19 Kia Sorrento--and say that, at that time, X would be my first choice. But "right now in the future" is just a bunch of nonsensical words you put together for the purpose of -- I don't really know why, actually. (uhm)

Right now and in the future are two mutually exclusive things.

Not if you consider quantum mechanics and not if you use your imagination as the OP suggested. Right now, could very well be the leading edge of the future unfolding without end. In other words, if you remove the arrow of time, you are left with space, matter and motion. Whether or not it actually took "time" to develop space, matter and motion is questionable in the new physics. Whether or not time even exists, is questionable in the new physics. Time may indeed not exist. Try dwelling on that one for a few minutes.

I can assume everything is the same in 2022 as it is today--but that's just making a decision based on what's on the market now.

Not, really because the question includes having ownership experience with the CX-9 which takes spending some time with it. You can approach the decision based on what's on the market right now with no prior knowledge of the CX-9 as its owner, or you can imagine yourself in the future making the same decision as someone with specific CX-9 ownership experience. That's what the original question was all about. Admittedly, it was hypothetical - but it was qualified with a couple distinctions.

I can even factor in what I've read is coming on the market next MY--like the '19 Kia Sorrento--and say that, at that time, X would be my first choice. But "right now in the future" is just a bunch of nonsensical words you put together for the purpose of -- I don't really know why, actually.

I think you've missed the creative point in the hypothetical. Enjoy the Sorrento, however. It is a nice SUV. :)

Right now and in the future are two mutually exclusive things. I can assume everything is the same in 2022 as it is today--but that's just making a decision based on what's on the market now. I can even factor in what I've read is coming on the market next MY--like the '19 Kia Sorrento--and say that, at that time, X would be my first choice. But "right now in the future" is just a bunch of nonsensical words you put together for the purpose of -- I don't really know why, actually. (uhm)

Lol true. He is in cx9 utopia land. Sorento is better even today.

Lol true. He is in cx9 utopia land. Sorento is better even today.

Looking for a piggy back to ride even when it can't figure out the obvious in the OP?
The Sorento is better?
Utopia?

Show me the CX-9 owner who wishes after the fact they bought a Sorento instead and I'll eat my hat while submitting a paper on quantum mechanics to this forum, LOL! Search the entire universe - you won't find one who has not been paid to make such an absurd statement. Why not just call it the new 2018 Kia Van. It looks like a competitor to the new Chrysler Pacifica, which to my eye seems so much better than the Sorento.

Last edited:
Back