02 PR5 Crank, No Start

You may have a fried cluster...
You can test it yourself to see if the gauges are working...

You need to use your door switch to enter the test mode...
If the key reminder dings when you open your door, or if the door ajar light comes on, then your switch is working.

Do this to see if your speedo is working.

And get your codes read.

Apparently auto zone does it for free if you haven't gotten the ELM327 yet.

Airbag light is off for now. As I was trying to test the horn because I’ve never used it, I must’ve shifted some wires or something because the light is now off. Final problem is the damn speedo and the CEL.

You'll probably have to replace your clock spring some time in the near future. They can have an intermittent break in the wiring of the clock spring (or some call it a spiral cable) and cause what you're seeing. It can also cause the horn, cruise control, or any other buttons on the steering wheel to not function or function intermittently.

You'll probably have to replace your clock spring some time in the near future. They can have an intermittent break in the wiring of the clock spring (or some call it a spiral cable) and cause what you're seeing. It can also cause the horn, cruise control, or any other buttons on the steering wheel to not function or function intermittently.
could this also be causing the speedo to not work? Because the horn and cruise control don’t work and it points to the clokcspring like you said.

could this also be causing the speedo to not work? Because the horn and cruise control don’t work and it points to the clokcspring like you said.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the speedo, no. The speedo not working MIGHT also be causing the cruise control to not work if the speed sensor is not hooked up correctly at the trans. But generally if the horn and cruise control both stop working at the same time, it is the clock spring going bad. Depending on where the break in the cable inside the clock springs is, also will usually be accompanied by an airbag light (i believe our car flashes 6 times). I don't recall if you had an airbag light or not and don't feel like reading now lol

you may replace your clockspring and have the horn and stuff start working and also find that the CC still won't work if the speedo does not work. Some cars the CC is wired directly through the ECM. Some cars the CC routes through the instrument cluster and then to the ECM. I don't know how ours is set, but i'm sure pcb will step in with about 14 wiring diagrams, trouble code charts, etc :)

...The speedo not working MIGHT also be causing the cruise control to not work if the speed sensor is not hooked up correctly at the trans.

That makes sense to me... On my car, the cruise control will not engage until the speed is exactly 40 km/hr or above.
That means the car needs to know exactly what speed it is going (and your car most likely thinks it's zero M/hr)

If the car has ABS then the ECU gets it's speed info from the wheel speed sensors.
If it doesn't, then the speed info comes from a gear in the transmission.

You may have a problem with the wiring going to the steering column or the way your ECU is receiving speed info.

More diagrams to follow.

PS.. I'm glad your car is up and running,... It shouldn't be too long till you get the bugs ironed out.

Check your GY/B wire (gray with a black stripe) and make sure it goes from the ABS head unit to the ECU. Check for continuity.

I'm assuming you have a standard transmission with ABS.

Here's another diagram that isn't included in the PDF download.

Make sure X, W, Q, and Y all have continuity... You may have to cut and splice wires like you did for the fuel pump.

I suppose it's possible that the ABS head unit maybe fried as well ???

Maybe take your car for a spin and hammer the brakes really hard to see if they engage ?? (it feels like your skidding on gravel).
But you'd probably have your ABS light on if there's a problem with the system ?

...Because the horn and cruise control don't work....

Check the horn relay...
Put your finger on it and you should feel and hear it clicking when you press the horn.

You may simply have a dead horn if the relay is clicking.

You may have a fried cluster...
You can test it yourself to see if the gauges are working...

You need to use your door switch to enter the test mode...
If the key reminder dings when you open your door, or if the door ajar light comes on, then your switch is working.

Have you done this yet ??

You need to find out if your speedo gauge is working.

It just takes a few minutes.

Have you done this yet ??

You need to find out if your speedo gauge is working.

It just takes a few minutes.
I haven’t in fact and I’m lagging on it. Imma get around to checking everything today and checking the continuity

It's easy dude.. Just do it...

I did it just for fun..
(all my gauges are working properly !!)

It's easy dude.. Just do it...

I did it just for fun..
(all my gauges are working properly !!)
Did it real quick and I went through all of the systems and 12 was the one that checked the speedo. It bounced all the way to max then back to like mid way and stayed there. I take it the gauge is fine

Sounds like your cluster is fine...

Now to figure out the GY/B wire and you should have a speedo and cruise control...

Do you have a 5 speed with ABS ??

Do you have an ABS light come on when you first start your car ?? For like six seconds or so ??

Do you have an ABS light come on when you first start your car ?? For like six seconds or so ??

To be honest I have no idea if it has abs. I check behind the brakes on the front wheels to see if I could see any wires or anything but there is nothing. Nothing special in the engine bay either coming from the master cylinder. There is no abs light whatsoever when I turn on the car. Also got my codes read today and they were p0500 and p0123. Throttle position sensor and speed sensor. Explains why I have no cruise control and no speedo.

So,.. Just to verify,.. Look for this under the hood...

If you don't have ABS then you need to use the signal from your speedo gear located in the transmission.

If your engine came out of a car with ABS then your trans. doesn't have the gear. Then (as far as I remember) you have to remove your transmission, open it up, and install the gear. You may need to drill a hole for it too ?? Big PITA.

Your transmission may already have the gear, then you just need to connect up to it.

I can't seem to find much info on the VSS in the service manual at least for a manual transmission without ABS.

I found this... You should be able to locate it on your transmission... Part #1 is the connector.

It looks like this... It will have two wires coming out of it.
Gray with a White stripe and Green.

Last edited:
So,.. Just to verify,.. Look for this under the hood...

If you don't have ABS then you need to use the signal from your speedo gear located in the transmission.

If your engine came out of a car with ABS then your trans. doesn't have the gear. Then (as far as I remember) you have to remove your transmission, open it up, and install the gear. You may need to drill a hole for it too ?? Big PITA.

Your transmission may already have the gear, then you just need to connect up to it.

I can't seem to find much info on the VSS in the service manual at least for a manual transmission without ABS.

Just got off the phone with the guy I purchased the car from. He said the motor came from a car with abs but the trans did not come from a car with abs. Would that make any difference?

Found the issue with the TPS. There’s nothing plugged into it and I can’t seem to find the damn plug going to it.

Back