CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 02 PR5 Crank, No Start

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

Finally got around to working on the car. Tested for continuity on the alternator plug and it was fine so I decided to just swap out the alternator. The car is now up and running and driving perfectly, but I still have one issue. The airbag light is still flashing 6 times periodically and it wont go away. Maybe a problem with the airbag/srs module? Pls help hahah

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

On a side note I feel like i should start a new thread for this issue, or there might already be one. :/ oh well

2002 mazda protege 5

Looks like your your drivers side airbag module... (or it's wiring)

It's covered in the restraints section of your downloaded service manual.

Read through the section very carefully before you start working on it.
    The airbag could be set off easily and you could get really injured.
    Play it safe and know exactly what to do before you start.
    The Diagram Dude

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by PR5Zach View Post
    Tested for continuity on the alternator plug and it was fine so I decided to just swap out the alternator. The car is now up and running and driving perfectly,...
    Check the voltage at the battery terminals... It should read about 12 V... Then start your car and check the voltage again. It should jump up to 13-14 V.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

Airbag light is off for now. As I was trying to test the horn because I’ve never used it, I must’ve shifted some wires or something because the light is now off. Final problem is the damn speedo and the CEL.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    You may have a fried cluster...
    You can test it yourself to see if the gauges are working...

You need to use your door switch to enter the test mode...
    If the key reminder dings when you open your door, or if the door ajar light comes on, then your switch is working.

Do this to see if your speedo is working.

And get your codes read.

Apparently auto zone does it for free if you haven't gotten the ELM327 yet.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

protege5

Airbag light is off for now. As I was trying to test the horn because I’ve never used it, I must’ve shifted some wires or something because the light is now off. Final problem is the damn speedo and the CEL.
    You'll probably have to replace your clock spring some time in the near future. They can have an intermittent break in the wiring of the clock spring (or some call it a spiral cable) and cause what you're seeing. It can also cause the horn, cruise control, or any other buttons on the steering wheel to not function or function intermittently.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    You'll probably have to replace your clock spring some time in the near future. They can have an intermittent break in the wiring of the clock spring (or some call it a spiral cable) and cause what you're seeing. It can also cause the horn, cruise control, or any other buttons on the steering wheel to not function or function intermittently.
    could this also be causing the speedo to not work? Because the horn and cruise control don’t work and it points to the clokcspring like you said.

Registered Member

protege5

could this also be causing the speedo to not work? Because the horn and cruise control don’t work and it points to the clokcspring like you said.
    It shouldn't have anything to do with the speedo, no. The speedo not working MIGHT also be causing the cruise control to not work if the speed sensor is not hooked up correctly at the trans. But generally if the horn and cruise control both stop working at the same time, it is the clock spring going bad. Depending on where the break in the cable inside the clock springs is, also will usually be accompanied by an airbag light (i believe our car flashes 6 times). I don't recall if you had an airbag light or not and don't feel like reading now lol

you may replace your clockspring and have the horn and stuff start working and also find that the CC still won't work if the speedo does not work. Some cars the CC is wired directly through the ECM. Some cars the CC routes through the instrument cluster and then to the ECM. I don't know how ours is set, but i'm sure pcb will step in with about 14 wiring diagrams, trouble code charts, etc

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    ...The speedo not working MIGHT also be causing the cruise control to not work if the speed sensor is not hooked up correctly at the trans.
    That makes sense to me... On my car, the cruise control will not engage until the speed is exactly 40 km/hr or above.
    That means the car needs to know exactly what speed it is going (and your car most likely thinks it's zero M/hr)

If the car has ABS then the ECU gets it's speed info from the wheel speed sensors.
    If it doesn't, then the speed info comes from a gear in the transmission.

You may have a problem with the wiring going to the steering column or the way your ECU is receiving speed info.

More diagrams to follow.

PS.. I'm glad your car is up and running,... It shouldn't be too long till you get the bugs ironed out.

2002 mazda protege 5

Check your GY/B wire (gray with a black stripe) and make sure it goes from the ABS head unit to the ECU. Check for continuity.

I'm assuming you have a standard transmission with ABS.

Here's another diagram that isn't included in the PDF download.

Make sure X, W, Q, and Y all have continuity... You may have to cut and splice wires like you did for the fuel pump.

I suppose it's possible that the ABS head unit maybe fried as well ???

Maybe take your car for a spin and hammer the brakes really hard to see if they engage ?? (it feels like your skidding on gravel).
    But you'd probably have your ABS light on if there's a problem with the system ?

2002 mazda protege 5

...Because the horn and cruise control don't work....
    Check the horn relay...
    Put your finger on it and you should feel and hear it clicking when you press the horn.

You may simply have a dead horn if the relay is clicking.

2002 mazda protege 5

You may have a fried cluster...
    You can test it yourself to see if the gauges are working...

You need to use your door switch to enter the test mode...
    If the key reminder dings when you open your door, or if the door ajar light comes on, then your switch is working.

Have you done this yet ??

You need to find out if your speedo gauge is working.

It just takes a few minutes.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege5

Have you done this yet ??

You need to find out if your speedo gauge is working.

It just takes a few minutes.
    I haven’t in fact and I’m lagging on it. Imma get around to checking everything today and checking the continuity

2002 mazda protege 5

It's easy dude.. Just do it...

I did it just for fun..
    (all my gauges are working properly !!)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast