Increased engine noise, bad vibration after spending two weeks in the cold.

:
2017 CX-5 GT
First off, hello to the forum and a bit of an intro. We recently purchased a silver 2017 CX-5 GT as a replacement for our 2011 Rogue after it's transmission went at 200,000 km. The Rogue needed new rear brakes and new summer tires, so the transmission and associated $5k repair bill was the final straw. I really liked the way the post face-lift CX-5's looked and reviews were always positive. I was in a bit of a rush to get a replacement for the Rogue as we have 3 big senior dogs and they don't exactly fit in my RS3. Tried hard to find a Soul Red but ended up going with a silver GT that a local dealer had on the lot.

Anyhow, we just got home last night after a couple of weeks in the Caribbean. We were a bit worried if the CX-5 would start as it's been sitting outside in the airport parking and we've been getting that sustained cold snap. It was -25C when we landed last night. The car was slow to turn over but started ok. It idled for 5 or so minutes as we cleared the snow off of it. As we pulled out of the parking we noticed right away the engine noise inside the cabin was louder. As well, we were getting lots of vibration under partial load from 1500~2000 rpm; enough to make the rear view mirrors go blurry and cause inside panels to start to resonate. I thought at first the car was just really cold but it kept up the entire 45 minute drive home.

We went and picked up the dogs from the kennel this morning and same thing. Engine sound inside the cabin is much louder. Idle feels rough. Strong vibration between 1500~2000 rpm the goes away at higher RPM, but then I'm still getting engine droning. It's still cold here (-24C)

First off, hello to the forum and a bit of an intro. We recently purchased a silver 2017 CX-5 GT as a replacement for our 2011 Rogue after it's transmission went at 200,000 km. The Rogue needed new rear brakes and new summer tires, so the transmission and associated $5k repair bill was the final straw. I really liked the way the post face-lift CX-5's looked and reviews were always positive. I was in a bit of a rush to get a replacement for the Rogue as we have 3 big senior dogs and they don't exactly fit in my RS3. Tried hard to find a Soul Red but ended up going with a silver GT that a local dealer had on the lot.

Anyhow, we just got home last night after a couple of weeks in the Caribbean. We were a bit worried if the CX-5 would start as it's been sitting outside in the airport parking and we've been getting that sustained cold snap. It was -25C when we landed last night. The car was slow to turn over but started ok. It idled for 5 or so minutes as we cleared the snow off of it. As we pulled out of the parking we noticed right away the engine noise inside the cabin was louder. As well, we were getting lots of vibration under partial load from 1500~2000 rpm; enough to make the rear view mirrors go blurry and cause inside panels to start to resonate. I thought at first the car was just really cold but it kept up the entire 45 minute drive home.
We went and picked up the dogs from the kennel this morning and same thing. Engine sound inside the cabin is much louder. Idle feels rough. Strong vibration between 1500~2000 rpm the goes away at higher RPM, but then I'm still getting engine droning. It's still cold here (-24C)

Because of the extream cold we have been having and the car being outside, everything is freezing up, oil and fluids will be thicker, rubber materials will be harder, motor mounts will be very stiff, you will experience much more vibration, slower performace as well as fuel economy suffering. I am experiencing rough idle and some other vibrations, I took my 2015 GMC Sierra out this morning after warming it up twice with auto start and it felt like it had manual steering.

My 2017 GT cx 5 after sitting in -14 over night did the same thing , rough start then the whole car violently vibrated as I drove it. It got bit better as it warmed up but never completely went away that day.
I took it to the dealer and they had one other in that day same issue. Seems the problem might be the wrong rubber used for the engine mounts and they get too hard in extreme cold.
They warmed the car up all day inside and it ran great when I picked it up later that day.
I drove it the other day at 3 above zero with no problems could just be the extreme below zero temps. Being here in MN this could be an ongoing issue. I'd like to see a recall to fix it.

Had the same issue with my 2017 cx5 GT sitting overnight in -14. Hard start and violent vibration. Never had a car act like that before. As I drove it it slowly got better but never went away.
I was concerned enough to take it to the dealer. They had another one in that day same issue. They kept it inside all day warmed it up checked it all out and when I went to pick it up it ran great.
I drove it the other day when it was 3 above zero with no issues. The dealer figured it was the wrong type of rubber used for the engine mount, gets too hard when way below 0*.
I'm in MN it gets cold I'd like to see a recall.

The motor mounts are filled with a hydraulic fluid to dampen any engine vibrations. I've read that the fluid can get too thick in very cold weather. Hopefully Mazda with fix this issue with new mounts. Ed

Yeah, my dealer mentioned that because the 2017 has different engine mounts (better, more absorbent -- for noise reduction and ride quality), when they get hard at around -20C (which we've been experiencing in Ontario recently) it will cause the rougher low RPM feeling you've experienced. Small price to pay for a better ride 99% of the time :)

I was wondering if the engine mounts had frozen up.

Mazda needs to fix this. This is Canada and -20C and colder is not uncommon in the winter. The vibration was so bad I seriously thought something was wrong with the engine or the transmission. The car sounds horrible. I'm still going to take it into the dealer to be sure, but if they tell me it's the engine mounts being too cold I'm going to complain.

Funny how the went from hydraulic mounts which are known for leaking to no nonsense rubber mounts back to hydraulic mounts which have issues again (hand)

Funny how the went from hydraulic mounts which are known for leaking to no nonsense rubber mounts back to hydraulic mounts which have issues again (hand)
Are you implying these new hydraulic engine mounts may be prone to leak in the long run especially now with cylinder deactivation?

Rubber engine mounts do break too but at least theyre holding up better in cold weather and a lot cheaper to replace. :)

You've got ice/snow buildup in your wheels.

Its not a harmonic imbalance caused by snow build up in the rims. Driving in Canada for the last 26 years I know what it feels like to have unbalanced wheels due to snow. Did you even read my original post?

No the car

Well, unfortunately I only have a 2 car garage. There's my 2017 Audi RS3 parked in one spot and my wife's 2016 Golf R in the other, so the CX-5 is an outdoor car.

But thank you for your insightful thoughts about what might be wrong with our new CX-5.

Well, unfortunately I only have a 2 car garage. There's my 2017 Audi RS3 parked in one spot and my wife's 2016 Golf R in the other, so the CX-5 is an outdoor car.

But thank you for your insightful thoughts about what might be wrong with our new CX-5.
If you spend some time reading posts in this forum youll notice many new 2nd-gen CX-5 owners experienced the exact same issue like you in recent extremely cold weather. I agree Mazda should do something on its new hydraulic engine mounts, and nothing would happen if you dont call Mazda Canada to complain the issue.

Therere many vehicles using hydraulic engine mounts apparently Mazda uses the one isnt functioning well in the extremely cold temperature. But thiss a CX-5 forum many people believe Mazda can do no wrong for everything.

New cx5 GS vibration issue

Last edited:

(drinks) You're very welcome!

Well, it definitely appears to be the engine mounts and cold weather. We're up to -6C this morning and the car is completely back to normal.

This is a design flaw for a vehicle sold in Canada.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I had searched but didn't find anything.

<
<
We had the same problem with ower CX-5. As long as the temp is below -20c it will stay as you described. Using Sport or Manual mode help, but do not solve the idle vibration.
My dealer confirm me that the problem come from the hydrolic motor support that freeze, and the lost of power come from the direct injector.

Everyone having this problem should inform their dealer and asking for a solutuion.

A brand new car in canada should work correctly in winter ...

Are you implying these new hydraulic engine mounts may be prone to leak in the long run especially now with cylinder deactivation?

Rubber engine mounts do break too but at least theyre holding up better in cold weather and a lot cheaper to replace. :)

So glad both our Mazdas have simple rubber mounts. The newer liquid ones may leak after say 70k miles or so. Sounds like a job for CorkSport Polyurethane Mounts ftw!

Back