2018 Aussie Mazda CX-5

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
Hi all,

Well I have finally sold my 2015 Mazda 6 Touring Sedan (yippy)

So today I went for another test drive of the current 2017 Mazda CX-5 and before I did, I asked the salesman if he had hear anything on any updates for 2018 model as I am willing to wait for this updated model. He advised no.

I went off for my test drive (by myself) and returned. Very quiet and refined and has some get up and go even with climate control on (was 27 Celsius / 80.6 Fahrenheit outside whilst driving)

The salesman spoke to me about how the drive went etc and then said he'd spoken to the retail sales manager and an update is coming.

Here are the details:

• Bulletin was sent out to Australian Mazda dealers yesterday Friday 05 January 2018
  • Production to commence in Japan in March 2018 and to go on sale April 2018
  • Touring model (5 variants here, this is the middle variant) gets Active Drive Display in windscreen instead of plastic flip screen
  • All 2.5L variants get cylinder deactivation with 1NM increase in torque and (unknown at this time) better fuel figures
  • 2.2L diesel gets power increase (figure unknown at this time)
  • Top spec Akera gets 360 surround camera

That is all the information I was supplied.

So.... the bottom line

Will be waiting till April/May 2018 to purchase this updated 2018 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.5L i-Activ AWD (Sonic Silver) with a few accessories (slimline weathershields, tinted windows, carpet mats & cargo illumination)

Something for me to look forward to (breakn)(drive)(drive2)(cabpatch)(mj)(dance)

Last edited:
Congratulations Xeler8ing! Although you're not a CX-5 owner yet you know the model inside out and, shamefully being a CX-5 owner, I've learned a lot from you about the car!

Akera way to go. No excuse to hold back!(lol2)

Congratulations Xeler8ing! Although you're not a CX-5 owner yet you know the model inside out and, shamefully being a CX-5 owner, I've learned a lot from you about the car!

Akera way to go. No excuse to hold back!(lol2)

Thank you and you are very welcome :)

Yes it will be a long wait but well worth it and thank you (thumb)

Yes I saw his review and hopefully it lives up to it :D

I haven’t driven it on a German autobahn yet but I have a real nice and winding hill near the house. I put the transmission into manual mode and have fun. The transmission in the CX5 is the best I’ve ever driven. The engine likes to be wound up.

I haven’t driven it on a German autobahn yet but I have a real nice and winding hill near the house. I put the transmission into manual mode and have fun. The transmission in the CX5 is the best I’ve ever driven. The engine likes to be wound up.

The G-vectoring control is to die for!!!! It loves a little push from the accelerator.

Congrats Xeler8ing!

A Sonic Silver Mazda CX-5 Akera AWD would be my choice too!

I personally would prefer a diesel for 2018 CX-5. If I want a petrol, Id get a 2017 CX-5 for better price and no cylinder deactivation.

Based on EPA ratings, you gain almost nothing for a 2018 SA-G 2.5L AWD with cylinder deactivation at 26 MPG combined which is the same as 2017 CX-5 without cylinder deactivation.

A lower trim model with the heads up display would be intriguing. In the US one needs to get the absolute highest option and package to get heads up, so I haven't seriously considered other configurations.

I'm getting anxious waiting for the diesel, and am starting to think about alternatives, temporary and otherwise.

A Sonic Silver Mazda CX-5 Akera AWD would be my choice too!

I personally would prefer a diesel for 2018 CX-5. If I want a petrol, I’d get a 2017 CX-5 for better price and no cylinder deactivation.

Based on EPA ratings, you gain almost nothing for a 2018 SA-G 2.5L AWD with cylinder deactivation at 26 MPG combined which is the same as 2017 CX-5 without cylinder deactivation.
Diesel doesn't make financial sense if only doing mostly city commutes. This is what I'd be doing.

Cylinder deactivation has been out since later half of last year and so far haven't seen any issues being discussed. If it was an issue, problems would start to be seen already.

Also I want the 360 degrees camera which arrives on this update and Akera version only.

Last edited:
A lower trim model with the heads up display would be intriguing. In the US one needs to get the absolute highest option and package to get heads up, so I haven't seriously considered other configurations.

I'm getting anxious waiting for the diesel, and am starting to think about alternatives, temporary and otherwise.
Heads Up display has been available on mid spec Touring and upwards since its release albeit plastic flip display (windscreen version on GT and Akera).

The COD has been available in Europe for some time now with no complaints.

The HUD is one of the best new features on the CX5. No more glancing down to check the speed.

Whats wrong with cylinder deactivation?
Cylinder deactivation has been tried and failed by many car manufactures beginning with GM in 80s. Currently Honda V6 VCM is the only engine other than Mazda SA-G implementing cylinder deactivation in the US and it has been suffered class action lawsuit due to spark plug fouling and oil consumptions. I dont see any new technology been implemented by Mazda to address these issues with cylinder deactivation, and I dont want take any risk as a guinea pig just to save almost nothing MPG.

When you produce the same power with half the cylinders and half the displacement, you gain efficiency through a reduction in pumping losses. The reduction comes from pumping half the cylinder volume, and from a reduction in intake head loss due to the throttle being more open. Under the light load conditions when cylinders are deactivated, the turbo is practically doing nothing, so I think you would get roughly the same efficiency boost from cylinder deactivation regardless of whether there is a turbo.

Regarding whether owners will notice, that isn't the concern. The reason why cylinder deactivation has a bad reputation is the oil fouling issues that appear as the miles accumulate, resulting in misfires or worse. We won't be able to judge whether Mazda has solved these problems for a few years.
Except that the hydraulic lifters that collapse under de-activation sometimes get stuck. Old or dirty oil, things like that. Valves get gummed up with PCV crap that accumulates on them when they're not open. Piston rings get shot because the crap goes down the cylinder at activation, so you get oil consumption out of nowhere...
Unless they do things differently, but I think they don't.

Maybe Mazda have found a way to counter act these issues. Otherwise if they know it's a problem, why implement it (uhm)

Back