SCBS/SBS activation stories

Good info on cruise control and brake lights! Thanks for the peace of mind.

Tourists? I always thought pedestrian detection is new in 2018 MY, but you've confirmed my suspicion that earlier models can detect pedestrians too to an extent.

"

When have you EVER seen ONE tourist crossing the road in Times Square? ........(cabpatch)

I'm not one for testing this but just realized the other day you can actually set the CC on my '15 down to 16 MPH if you are already engaged. This is within SCBS speed range.

I assume this would auto cancel CC and brake if it was set at that speed and detected obstruction?

I'm not one for testing this but just realized the other day you can actually set the CC on my '15 down to 16 MPH if you are already engaged. This is within SCBS speed range.

I assume this would auto cancel CC and brake if it was set at that speed and detected obstruction?

Reasonable assumption, but only one way to find out for sure. :) Seriously, why wouldn't it?

I was driving to work, and someone in front of me was turning. Traffic was pacing along nicely, and I did not slow up enough to make the system happy, although I was 100% safe and they would have been well out of my way. Brakes slammed on, lunch went on to the floorboard, and luckily noone rear-ended my vehicle.

Didn't know whether my 18MY CX-5 supports pedestrian detection, I just made a test

I contacted Mazda recently to get some clarification on the whole SBS/SCBS/Advanced SCBS thing.

What I was told is that, in the US, Advanced SCBS was introduced on the 2019 CX-5s (Touring & above). 2018 & earlier CX-5s have SCBS.

If you read the descriptions closely, the owner's manual indicates that SCBS is designed to detect vehicles and may not be able detect pedestrians and two-wheeled vehicles. It looks like it worked in your test, but it probably shouldn't be counted on to do this consistently.

Advanced SCBS, on the other hand, does include vehicle and pedestrian detection. Still indicates it may not be able to detect two-wheeled vehicles, as well as walls and animals.

I know for sure that both my '16 Mazda6 and '17 CX5 braked hard at least once when I pulled up to my driveway too quickly by 1ms.

My '14 Mazda3 (SCBS only) has only braked inappropriately* once when driving into an underground parking lot and the garage door hadn't completely retracted yet. There was enough clearance for my car, but the slope of the ramp caused the system to believe otherwise.

* I don't count situations where the car braked based on the situation that was (ie: a car I was rapidly closing on), even if I wouldn't brake myself based on an assumption about the situation that might be (ie: that car turning into a parking lot/changing lanes/etc.). Us ugly bags of mostly water aren't as predictable as we imagine, and a machine should err on the side of caution.

If anything, I find SCBS to be a constant reminder of the difference between what we think is safe and what is actually safe.

Us ugly bags of mostly water aren't as predictable as we imagine, and a machine should err on the side of caution.

If anything, I find SCBS to be a constant reminder of the difference between what we think is safe and what is actually safe.

Oh yeah!

Funny I should come across this topic.

I've had my GT Reserve for exactly a week now, and was driving today when the guy in front of me stopped for a turning vehicle. I didn't think I was coming up on it that fast, but my car disagreed. The BRAKE! that lit up was not a command, it was confirming what was already happening.

I'm retired and live in a rural area, and I've driven the car every day since I got it, but this is the first time I've had to "abrupt stop" because we just don't get that much traffic. Most of my stopping has been with anticipated signs and traffic lights, not some in-traffic reaction situation. This incident tells me I need to get out and test the hard-stop behaviour of the car. Being new to the car, I might have been too soft on the pedal.

It's funny, the safety features (like telling me when I may be following too closely) really have me paying attention to the way I drive.

What is the distance from the front object or car should SBS/SCBS apply the brakes if the driver does not?

What is the distance from the front object or car should SBS/SCBS apply the brakes if the driver does not?

It's not a fixed distance. It depends on your speed and the sensitivity you have set in the system preferences.

Back