SCBS/SBS activation stories

:
18 CX-5
Do we have a thread on real-world experience with SCBS/SBS activation on the CX-5?

Following examples apply to the US & similar road system only: I'm particularly interested in situations where an oncoming vehicle, stopped on green waiting for a gap to make a left, suddenly decides to jump on your CX-5 head-on. Or, vehicle from side street waiting to make a right suddenly decides to disregard your right of way.

Basically I'm curious how well SCBS can handle SUDDEN emergence of an obstacle. In all demo videos, or my once-only SCBS experience (where I was following too close a vehicle in front that had slowed down at a parking entrance), the obstacles didn't change path, so the "forward obstacle distance" detected by the radar would have decreased gradually, making the job easier. For unexpected obstacles, I'm wondering how much lead time SCBS requires in order to function properly.

Please share your story.

When the SCBS engaged for the first time..

We were in traffic speeding at the blistering speed of approx. 10-12 MPH in the center lane of three lanes across. We were about 8-10 feet behind the next car in front of us, when a motorcycle whom I think was lane splitting ( not sure if it's even legal where I live) came by on my right side and turned sharp cutting inbetween us and the car we were following.. The SCBS engaged and the front end shuttered as the breaks engaged while the beeping started, the right instrument cluster was in red stating the SCBS had engaged...

So glad it worked, so glad the motorcycle didn't get hit, however not quite the way I had envisioned I wanted to "test" the SCBS...

Thanks ddtigger! Exactly the scenario to address my concern. So apparently CX-5 can handle obstacles out of the blue quite well.

Same here, first the SCBS beeping woke me up, but I didn't realize what it had done for me until I checked the instrument cluster.

The beeping has saved me a bunch (in my previous '15 Mazda 3) and actually went off once. I'll never get another vehicle without this type of technology. I was leaving work one day and we have the parking gate arms that go up and down at the entrance. The system reads your license plate and lifts the arm for you. I slowed down and was rolling through but for some reason the reader wasn't registering my license place. SCBS beeped and stopped the vehicle when the arm didn't lift to avoid hitting it. I was glad to know that it could be triggered by something in the way of the vehicle that is of much smaller size than a vehicle ahead of me.

No incidents yet in my new CX-5.

Mine has activated twice. Real world reminder not to follow too close. Im sure the car has it calculated out what the breaking distance needs to be.

Both times it was when the car in front of me was making a right hand turn. Do they not teach to accelerate through the the turns anymore. Anyway breaks totally locked after BRAKE warning on dash. I think it would be nice to have a couple more seconds between BRAKE warning and when they lock. Perhaps its just old man reaction times.

Anyway I thought the activation was a tad to quick but not by much. Better safe than sorry. I am extremely happy to have this safety feature and know it works and will engage.

On the flip side of the stories so far, I've had the flashing brake sign once when it shouldn't have activated. I was driving on a fairly windy road, approaching a right hand sweeping bend and a car was parked off the road on the left (in Australia btw), as I was approaching the corner the alert came up. Just glad the brakes didn't actually engage!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Support-(NOT-S-CITY-Brake-Support)&highlight=

As far as Smart CITY brake support is concerned - it kicks in for me regularly, at least on an average once weekly. Reason: Try commuting to work in the morning thru Holland Tunnel up to mid-town and then try to return back home after 7 pm via Times Square. 2 reasons: NY Taxi especially all these Uber drivers (they are the worst) coupled with tourists.

Last edited:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Support-(NOT-S-CITY-Brake-Support)&highlight=

As far as Smart CITY brake support is concerned - it kicks in for me regularly, at least on an average once weekly. Reason: Try commuting to work in the morning thru Holland Tunnel up to mid-town and then try to return back home after 7 pm via Times Square. 2 reasons: NY Taxi especially all these Uber drivers (they are the worst) coupled with tourists.

Do you mean it alerts, or alerts and brakes that often?

That must drive you nuts. Have you had anybody come close to rear ending you due to the braking?

Your questions makes me wonder if SCBS/SBS triggered braking would operate the brake lights. Unfortunately the owner's manual doesn't go into details at this level, and it's impossible for car owners to try and test.

Your questions makes me wonder if SCBS/SBS triggered braking would operate the brake lights. Unfortunately the owner's manual doesn't go into details at this level, and it's impossible for car owners to try and test.

It definitely does. Also when auto-hold is functioning. It would be incredibly unsafe if it didn't.

So I guess you haven't come close to be rear-ended due to SCBS, eh?

It definitely does. Also when auto-hold is functioning. It would be incredibly unsafe if it didn't.

So I guess you haven't come close to be rear-ended due to SCBS, eh?

Thanks for confirming. No not at all, just wondering in case someone is close behind when that happens.

Would you also know if the brake lights are on when MRCC decides to slow down your vehicle to keep a safe distance from the car in front? I remember this was discussed before in the forum before but I forgot what our conclusion was, neither am I able to track down the thread.

1. Brake lights come on - definitely for ALL cases even when auto cruise control brakes.
2. Mostly an alert in dashboard but many times my car braked due to sudden coming of a taxi cutting in or a tourist looking into his Eyewitness guide to NY and crossing the street looking the OTHER way (UK tourist). We, as in commuters of NY have a name for such UK tourists we call them port over pond crowd ; similar to bridge and tunnel crowd (NJ/CT)

My SCBS has activated twice - both times coming out of parking garage and probably approached the parking gate arm a little too fast.

1. Brake lights come on - definitely for ALL cases even when auto cruise control brakes.
2. Mostly an alert in dashboard but many times my car braked due to sudden coming of a taxi cutting in or a tourist looking into his Eyewitness guide to NY and crossing the street looking the OTHER way (UK tourist). We, as in commuters of NY have a name for such UK tourists we call them port over pond crowd ; similar to bridge and tunnel crowd (NJ/CT)

Good info on cruise control and brake lights! Thanks for the peace of mind.

Tourists? I always thought pedestrian detection is new in 2018 MY, but you've confirmed my suspicion that earlier models can detect pedestrians too to an extent.

The 2018 owner's manual has two sections on SCBS: Advanced SCBS vs. SCBS. The difference between the two sections in the manual is that Advanced SCBS mentions about the ability to detect pedestrians and apply brakes automatically:

2018 CX-5 owner's manual:
"The Advanced SCBS alerts the driver of a possible collision using the display and a warning sound when the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects a vehicle ahead or pedestrian and determines that a collision with the object is unavoidable while the vehicle is driven at a vehicle speed of about 4 to 80 km/h (2 to 50 mph) if the object is a vehicle ahead and about 10 to 80 km/h (6.2 to 50 mph) if the object is a pedestrian. In addition, the system reduces damage in the event of a collision by operating the brake control (Advanced SCBS brake) when the system determines that a collision is unavoidable. In addition, when the driver depresses the brake pedal, the brakes are applied firmly and quickly to assist. (Brake Assist (Advanced SCBS brake assist))"

Good info on cruise control and brake lights! Thanks for the peace of mind.

Tourists? I always thought pedestrian detection is new in 2018 MY, but you've confirmed my suspicion that earlier models can detect pedestrians too to an extent.

The 2018 owner's manual has two sections on SCBS: Advanced SCBS vs. SCBS. The difference between the two sections in the manual is that Advanced SCBS mentions about the ability to detect pedestrians and apply brakes automatically:

2018 CX-5 owner's manual:
"The Advanced SCBS alerts the driver of a possible collision using the display and a warning sound when the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects a vehicle ahead or pedestrian and determines that a collision with the object is unavoidable while the vehicle is driven at a vehicle speed of about 4 to 80 km/h (2 to 50 mph) if the object is a vehicle ahead and about 10 to 80 km/h (6.2 to 50 mph) if the object is a pedestrian. In addition, the system reduces damage in the event of a collision by operating the brake control (Advanced SCBS brake) when the system determines that a collision is unavoidable. In addition, when the driver depresses the brake pedal, the brakes are applied firmly and quickly to assist. (Brake Assist (Advanced SCBS brake assist))"

From the 2017 manual, I don't believe that model year has the Advanced SCBS. In the SCBS description on page 4-139: "The system may not be able to detect or react to 2-wheeled vehicles or pedestrians."

For SBS, it says "the radar system could detect the following objects ... and operate the ... SBS... Pedestrians or non-metallic objects such as standing trees." This is within a list of items which could activate SBS.

From the 2017 manual, I don't believe that model year has the Advanced SCBS. In the SCBS description on page 4-139: "The system may not be able to detect or react to 2-wheeled vehicles or pedestrians."

For SBS, it says "the radar system could detect the following objects ... and operate the ... SBS... Pedestrians or non-metallic objects such as standing trees." This is within a list of items which could activate SBS.

Agreed. Based on owner's manuals, pedestrian detection is only available/introduced in 2018 MY.

However, based on bmninada's account, and also the last part of this 2017 MY crash test video (after 2:07), the feature seems to be available in some 2017 CX-5s. I'm still confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqg8c7ao7uE

Agreed. Based on owner's manuals, pedestrian detection is only available/introduced in 2018 MY.

However, based on bmninada's account, and also the last part of this 2017 MY crash test video (after 2:07), the feature seems to be available in some 2017 CX-5s. I'm still confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqg8c7ao7uE
That’s possibly a regional thing again. Mine has it as part of the Safety Package cost option. It was completed on the 11th May 2017.

Back