2017 Brake Squeal

:
CX-5
Got my 2017 in September and have noticed the brakes are getting louder and louder. Typically this happens towards the beginning of the drive, but goes away after a while. It might have something to do with the cold weather in Ohio, however I've never had brand new brakes make this kind of noise ever. it's REALLY loud. I took my car in for the 5000mi checkup and they said it's normal? Is anyone else having this issue? Doesn't sound normal to me

Did the dealer actually listen to the loud noise or just reply that it's normal when you posed the question? Doesn't seem normal to me and I wouldn't let the dealer GAF you off.

I have a 2017, live in OH too, and just passed the 10k mile mark. Brakes are completely silent, as I believe they should be.

Mine squeals in reverse at low speed in the seemingly continuous cold and damp weather.

I’ve been in friction material development for 17 years and I’ll tell you my intended course of action. Nothing.

Friction material absorbs moisture and if you wet your finger and run it round the rim of a wine glass it will ring when your finger dries out and you get just the right amount of friction. The same goes for the pads and discs. If you take the pads out and clean away all of the layer of muddy dust it will stop squealing but it will be back in a few days. You’ll probably find it will go when the weather changes or like mine only do it in reverse. In summary, some may not get it and others may depending on the conditions. You might get rid of it with different pads if it really bothers you but you shouldn’t let it. It really doesn’t matter.

Mine squeals in reverse at low speed in the seemingly continuous cold and damp weather.

Ive been in friction material development for 17 years and Ill tell you my intended course of action. Nothing.

Friction material absorbs moisture and if you wet your finger and run it round the rim of a wine glass it will ring when your finger dries out and you get just the right amount of friction. The same goes for the pads and discs. If you take the pads out and clean away all of the layer of muddy dust it will stop squealing but it will be back in a few days. Youll probably find it will go when the weather changes or like mine only do it in reverse. In summary, some may not get it and others may depending on the conditions. You might get rid of it with different pads if it really bothers you but you shouldnt let it. It really doesnt matter.

Porsche had to put out a 4 minute video because people were complaining about squealing!

Porsche had to put out a 4 minute video because people were complaining about squealing!

Excellent, not seen that before. It very much a PR thing but it is true to say that the higher in friction yo go, the harder it is to avoid squeal. Thanks for sharing.

Got my 2017 in September and have noticed the brakes are getting louder and louder. Typically this happens towards the beginning of the drive, but goes away after a while. It might have something to do with the cold weather in Ohio, however I've never had brand new brakes make this kind of noise ever. it's REALLY loud. I took my car in for the 5000mi checkup and they said it's normal? Is anyone else having this issue? Doesn't sound normal to me

Mine has developed this as well in the last few weeks. I am at the 4k mile mark and will have the dealer check it out when I get the oil changed if it hasn't gotten better.

Back