Intermitted Power Loss, Please Help!

My truck gets 11.7 MPG, and my P5 averages 23.8.

Hmmm...

Unless you're REALLY dogging on it, 24mpg seems awfully low. In the summertime with the AC running any time the car is, i average about 30. In the winter time when i don't use the AC (for both months) I usually average 34-35mpg. Glad it's running good for you but unless you're driving it like you stole it, something still seems off to me.

Hmmm...

Unless you're REALLY dogging on it, 24mpg seems awfully low. In the summertime with the AC running any time the car is, i average about 30. In the winter time when i don't use the AC (for both months) I usually average 34-35mpg. Glad it's running good for you but unless you're driving it like you stole it, something still seems off to me.

I'm not saying it is good, but it fits within the EPA estimates.

I think that it improved a lot after putting the JDM motor in a few years ago, the would probably be around 25-26 since then, but the last few fill ups have been lower than usually, since I started driving it again. Maybe 21-23, I just figured this was due to me running the AC, which has a significant power loss in my P5. The 23.8 MPG figure is an average since I started keeping track in April of 2012, so it contains a significant time of the first motor than eventually died.

I have never gotten close to 34-35 though. Maybe the max since I have been tracking it was 29, and that was probably mostly highway.

I used to drive it hard, but not anymore.

yes the clip by the eyelet and that clip below and behind the power steering pump were intact and snug. im not sure how it rubbed through the casing against the eyelet. it was right up against it though and just small enough to not be seen by a visual inspection. i saw it when i removed the upper clip during the swap of the sensor. because it didnt throw a code i replaced the fuel pump relay and the crank sensor assuming one of them was the culprit. when installing the new crank sensor i added some rubber tape around the eyelet and the lower clip too to prevent it from happening again.
pcb - the headache caused by not throwing a code is pretty big. especially when you cant see it on a visual inspection. mine took 3 days to find and that was on an assumption either fuel or spark were being cut.

pcb - the headache caused by not throwing a code is pretty big. especially when you cant see it on a visual inspection. mine took 3 days to find and that was on an assumption either fuel or spark were being cut.

This is true.

The early symptoms my P5 was having could have been many different things. Just look at the size of this thread and all the potential culprits of the symptoms. If I would have gotten the crank CEL, then this thread probably would have not existed.

You're not too far off...

Here's a list of things that may help...

BTW, I have the 5 speed trans.

I guess I could check out a few things to improve my fuel economy, but it is still much, much better than my Dodge Ram, and a little better than my Turbo MR2. So, I am saving money by having my P5 back again.

As for the list:

I just changed the Air Filter, and until recently, I used a K&N since 03.
I think my VICS solenoid is bad. Or the VTCS, I can't remember which one was bad and causing a CEL. I just swapped them, and the CEL went away and didn't come back.
I can check the coolant, I might do a drain and fill anyways.
I have changed the coils, plugs, and wires many times over the years.
I use higher octane premium fuel.
Not sure what the CMP sensor is.
I recently changed the FPR, fuel pump and filter assembly.
I just changed the PCV valve.
One of my brakes is dragging.
Not sure about the timing.
I recently replaced my MAF with a cheap china-made one, I might put the old one back on.
I will check the compression soon, but I think it is okay.
I think my exhaust might be partially clogged in the cat, but not sure if I want to bother with this issue.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I use slightly larger Diameter tires in the summer, and a moderately larger diameter in the winter time. This would slightly affect the perceived average MPG do to the less revs per mile, and maybe the actual MPG due to the added weight.

Not sure what the CMP sensor is.

Cam position sensor.

On a related note...
I remember my mileage dropping from 38 mpg to 31 mpg (imperial gallons... old school Canadian numbers)

It turned out that when I inspected my air filter I banged out the bugs and leaves by tapping it but all that did was plug up my air filter.

I believe that when 'possible causes' are listed for any problem in the service manual the most likely causes are listed first.

It turned out that when I inspected my air filter I banged out the bugs and leaves by tapping it but all that did was plug up my air filter.

A few months ago, I replaced my very old K&N filter with a cheap eBay cone filter.

Actually it was an Injen filter that came with their cold air intake system. It was so old, and starting to fall apart, I don't think it would have survived another cleaning.

Maybe I might re-invest in a nice filter again.

I'm almost positive that if your T-belt was off by even one tooth, you would know... It stumbles, is completely gutless and wants to stall.

I was thinking the same thing. I figured if the timing belt is an issue, my P5 would be running like a turd all the time.

Actually, it was one of my questions in the thread early on.

Back