New MSP owner need help.

carsong97

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello
Got my hands on an 03.5 MSP for 2500 bucks, Car has an aftermarket front mount, bigger turbo, aftermarket manifold, catless-downpipe and whole bunch of stuff. Says its on a conservative tune running 8pounds which I believe it is as the turbo is laggy which I expected but doesn't pull very hard but runs well nothing weird ticks or feeling like it has a boost leak. Doesn't smoke or leak, interior is immaculate surprisingly.

Struts are blown and is currently on Eibach struts and springs, unless any of you recommend a different setup I'm looking back to go the oem struts and springs to return to stock height.

My main concern is looking for a catted downpipe for this car. (emission testing) tried looking for the search function on the forum, seems all the companies that did are out of business or only make stuff for newer mazdaspeed's. Found some oem replacement ones for 300 on ebay but worried if fitment might be an issue with the aftermarket manifold. Can upload pics to see what I'm working with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, This is my first car in years and my first boosted vehicle I've owned very excited to get this toy back in shape.

The MSPs didn't have a catted down-pipe, both cats were on the mid-pipe along with the secondary O2 sensor following the first/primary cat. Have you checked under the car to see if the stock mid-pipe is still there, or does it have a full exhaust?

Last edited:
The MSPs didn't have a catted down-pipe, both cats were on the mid-pipe along with the secondary O2 sensor following the first/primary cat. Have you checked under the car to see if the stock mid-pipe is still there, or does it have a full exhaust?

My bad realized that while glancing at it today, it seems to have a full exhaust from the manifold to the tip since there's a glass pack on it, haven't jacked it up yet but did pull up the codes it was throwing. Remembering off the top of my head it was throwing codes for the o2 bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 and another 2 for the heat going to each of the sensors that weren't up to temp since there's no cat. Curious if anyone knows anybody has the stock mid-pipe laying around.

Back