Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How was your CX-5 Car Buying Or Leasing Experience

Registered Member
    Donated: $20

2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red

December 2015 end bought my 2016. All initial discussion and price finalization happened via Edmund's price promise. Dealer is Wayne, NJ. Entire process took 40 min. If price @ Internet, its usually already low. I matched it vs. TrueCar and Costco, was lowest. Did ask around. Dealership upgraded me to Soul Red, all weather rubber floor mats, trunk liner (all weather) and OEM wheel locks and OEM trunk divider and vanilla remote start at zero extra. Threw in 2 Mazda key chains too (I think since I found them in glove compartment). That's $300 + $130 + $110 + $20 + $50 + $200 + $600 (with labor) = approx. $1300. Note: I had to go to port to take delivery as I specifically wanted a PZEV equipped vehicle - over there they installed the remote start.

Mistake I made - fell for tire insurance. Never, ever. Also fell for: VIN etching. In NJ, that's more or less given - they just pad an additional $300. Its important to highlight that up-front. APR was 0% for 60 months - Mazda.
    Last edited by bmninada; 01-17-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by bmninada View Post
    December 2015 end bought my 2016. All initial discussion and price finalization happened via Edmund's price promise. Dealer is Wayne, NJ. Entire process took 40 min. If price @ Internet, its usually already low. I matched it vs. TrueCar and Costco, was lowest. Did ask around. Dealership upgraded me to Soul Red, all weather rubber floor mats, trunk liner (all weather) and OEM wheel locks and OEM trunk divider and vanilla remote start at zero extra. Threw in 2 Mazda key chains too (I think since I found them in glove compartment). That's $300 + $130 + $110 + $20 + $50 + $200 + $600 (with labor) = approx. $1300. Note: I had to go to port to take delivery as I specifically wanted a PZEV equipped vehicle - over there they installed the remote start.

Mistake I made - fell for tire insurance. Never, ever. Also fell for: VIN etching. In NJ, that's more or less given - they just pad an additional $300. Its important to highlight that up-front. APR was 0% for 60 months - Mazda.
    You can always cancel the tire insurance...even after the final sale.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD

Hello all:

I have just picked up my CX-5 GS with I-Active 2.5 L engine and AWD from Gyro Mazda in Toronto (Canada). I had a pretty good experience on the overall, with any concerns sorted out quickly. I told them from the onset that I wanted a good relationship for a long time as I intend to come back for scheduled maintenance with them. I had the attitude that they need to make some money and was looking to be treated fairly and in a respectful way.

The night of the test drive, I was really pleased that the route to be taken was clearly posted and explained beforehand. The salesperson went over the operation of the mirrors, seats and other controls that I might need. he encouraged me to "punch it" to feel the acceleration and ensure that I was comfortable with the vehicle. He insisted I turn on sport mode to try that as well. The drive was long enough to get the feel of the vehicle on several different roads surfaces, speeds and driving conditions.

i used car Cost Canada to get the dealer invoice price. They came back with a price that was lower than I expected - 3% over invoice. They agreed to take my 2003 Honda Element as a trade-in. The trade-in value as lower than what I would have liked, but it was a manual and had a repair job done on the rear bumper from where I had been rear-ended. I looked at it that I did not want the hassle of selling privately or trying to get a Honda dealer to give me a better price as I really had finished with Honda - I don't like the CR-V. I was happy to be able to turn my old car over without a lot of issues and be able to walk away with a new ride.

I turned down the usual paint / carpet / upholstery protection rackets but did get the better front floor mats. I did add the nicer pedals, a front hood deflector and mudflaps. No haggling there on my part. The price included installation and it was done for me ready for pickup.

When I picked it up yesterday, there was some pressure to get some extra insurance and coverages. I agreed to the extended service package - I am concerned with the components in the I-Active system failing and needing replacing. There was some confusion as to what price was what - monthly prices were given as it was to be rolled into the financing. When we were doing the final payment for what was being added on - I didn't want to finance the accessories - I had to ask what the extra $7K was. There was misunderstanding as to what my requirements were and how that was being paid for. The documents were cheerfully recreated with little fuss and a small adjustment made to the pricing to my benefit.

My car was ready for me, clean and with my custom plates transferred. The delivery manager walked me through the basics of the operation of the vehicle and had me set up my phone. She also walked me over the Service Department and we chatted about the regular scheduled maintenance and what was required to setup an appointment.

The overall experience was very good. Everything was done in a friendly way with a focus on ensuring that I was happy as a purchaser. I was not going to make a big fight about prices and discounts as I had made a big down payment and with .99% financing over 2 years for the balance I am getting a very reasonable deal. The dealer makes some money and gets a happy customer. Win / Win.

This was a far better experience that I had buying my 2003 Honda Element. Everything felt like a fight with that dealer - including the fact that I had to use a personal connection to get my VIN number and delivery date. They had also flat out lied to me about me installing a Honda Element accessory I had bought from them. They claimed me installing that Honda accessory by myself would violate the warranty. That and a few other issues caused me to call Honda Canada who then called the dealer to get them sorted out. My personal connection was indirectly also to the President's Office at Honda Canada and I was told that there was some heat from that office as well.

So, in short, I am very happy with Gyro Mazda and many other people are as well. They have 4.6 rating on Google - that's not easy for anyone to get and maintain. I will happily recommend Gyro Mazda to anyone.

IskiE

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Everyone... you will have to flame me if this is inappropriate as an area I am not familiar with leasing and for a family member.

Too many threads for me to pin down for the appropriate one.

Cut to the chase... sister was in a wreck a few weeks back and totaled her '10 Lexus IS 250 hardtop convertible.

She is interested in "leasing" a CX-5 but wants to pay $300-$350 month. I have never leased a vehicle in my life.

Trying to be a helpful brother but not sure I have a clue...

I have seen all the terms here

What '19 trim/model would she expect to get for that amount? She lives within 40 miles roundtrip to her job if mileage part of the equation.

Highly appreciate any input I can get. I felt like a total newbie when she asked about CX-5 but then said lease.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 49K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Thank you!!! Good info... I wondered about the loyalty rebate. It would include tax.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

assuming payments are with tax and not in one of states which collect whoe tax upfront.
    touring with the additional pkg should be easily doable with some small out the door cost. GT is also possible but needs more bargaining.
    At the end all depends on dealers wishes to cooperate and current incentives.
    You can also check autobytel for her zip. Also see if she can use loyalty rebate since you have Mazda.
    Think a good discount is roughly 10% on msrp. residuals per model are fixed. etc.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Thanks cz5gt

I will let her know where things stand with trim, what we have to do and what is possible ....and check incentives.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

there are also few variables which can change price.
    lease miles and period, awd fwd and zip code - for the residual value.
    the interest on 2019 is also a bit high vs 2018.
    Last months mf (interest) on 2018 was near 0.12%.
    2019 is now roughly in the 3.8% range.
    May be also worth looking for leftovers 2018 model which should get better price discount.
    Do look into the loyalty rebate.,its 750usd.
    be careful of dealers inflating the MF and dealer added addons.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    A 2018 is definitely a consideration as a turbo isn't a requirement.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 (white), 2019 CX-5(red), 2019 Miata (white)

After telephoning the dealerships in my area I bought a 2019 CX-5 today from the one where the salesperson honored the out the door price he had offered me.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by DG_1234 View Post
    After telephoning the dealerships in my area I bought a 2019 CX-5 today from the one where the salesperson honored the out the door price he had offered me.
    Good.

Honestly, I've just not had nasty experiences with reputable dealers. I once bought a vehicle 5 hours away, and when I arrived, it had MORE features than they had told me, and they bought my car at the price we agreed to, and sold me theirs at the agreed upon price, as well.
    This last vehicle, the GSM actually worked the deal in front of me, full screen facing me, showing dealer hold back, everything. 100% transparent.

I feel like with the internet, and the focus shifting from "make money at time of sale" to "make money off the loan/service/etc", we are seeing dealerships behaving in a much more reputable manner.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Good.

Honestly, I've just not had nasty experiences with reputable dealers. I once bought a vehicle 5 hours away, and when I arrived, it had MORE features than they had told me, and they bought my car at the price we agreed to, and sold me theirs at the agreed upon price, as well.
    This last vehicle, the GSM actually worked the deal in front of me, full screen facing me, showing dealer hold back, everything. 100% transparent.

I feel like with the internet, and the focus shifting from "make money at time of sale" to "make money off the loan/service/etc", we are seeing dealerships behaving in a much more reputable manner.
    The nearest dealer to me actually did a bait and switch. On the telephone he confirmed my out the door price, however once I was at the dealership he raised the price by 10%.
    The following day I bought the car from a dealer one hour away from me, because that dealer did honor the out the door price agreed to during our telephone conversation.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by DG_1234 View Post
    The nearest dealer to me actually did a bait and switch. On the telephone he confirmed my out the door price, however once I was at the dealership he raised the price by 10%.
    The following day I bought the car from a dealer one hour away from me, because that dealer did honor the out the door price agreed to during our telephone conversation.
    wtf!? Seriously? That's crap. Are they known to be a shitty dealer? That's 1998 tactics.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    wtf!? Seriously? That's crap. Are they known to be a shitty dealer? That's 1998 tactics.
    It's my nearest Mazda dealer but I've never bought a car from them.
    Three years ago my wife and I went in there to test drive a MX-5 Miata. As we left the dealership I noticed there appeared to be about 1/64th of a tank of gas. Seriously I was not sure the car would make it the 3 or 4 blocks to the nearest gas station, but it did, and I filled it with $20 worth of gas. We drove the Miata for about 20 minutes. Back at the dealership I gave the salesperson the gas receipt but was never reimbursed the $20. That's o.k., though, because it was fun driving the MX-5.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

So my purchase experience was mixed. Was looking at either a GTR or Sig. Didn't really care about color, except I told the sales guy, NOT black or white. He brought out a gray GTR to try out and it was love at first sight. ;-)

Negotiations got a bit ugly, when discussing my trade. I was trading a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, with 80k miles, but in extremely good shape. I gave them a usb stick with every maintenance and repair receipt on it. I did my research up front and the KBB TRADE IN VALUE (average condition) was just over $18,000. Wranglers do hold their value! Well, they come back with an offer of $1,500 off MSRP and $13,000 for my trade. I tell him he's not even in the ballpark. He proceeds to pull out a KBB printout showing the cash buyout on my Jeep at $13,000 instead of using the trade in value. So I hand him my printout and explain this isn't a cash buyout, it's a trade in.

So, out comes the sales manager, who proceeds to try and convince me that the cash buyout figure is indeed the trade value. I again showed him my printout and he insists that his number is the trade value. So I tell him that we're wasting everyone's time and it's time to walk away. As I stand up to leave, they start to get antsy and ask for a minute to take one more look at the numbers.

Five minutes later, they magically come back with the $18k trade value and we shake hands. Even though I got what I wanted, the whole ordeal left a sour taste in my mouth as they were lying to be without blinking an eye. It just reinforced my disdain for dealing with car dealers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast