How was your CX-5 Car Buying Or Leasing Experience

(Below is a partial of an email I never sent to Mazda)

I purchased my 2017 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring*(Snowflake white Pearl Mica with Parchment Leather)*in April 2017.

I made at least 3 visits to the dealer before I decided to buy. A few test drives were done without a sales person. Took me a while to decide because my last two vehicles were "luxury" bands: Acura and Volvo.

My salesperson was great. He knew all the features and understood what was important to me. At the time, about all the discount you could expect for a loaded Grand Touring AWD was about $600-$800. I chose accessories instead; All weather matts and Roof rails.

When to finance and the guy immediately started telling me how long he had worked at the dealership and how well he got along with the owner. Ok. Fine. He shows me the numbers and they're wrong. The numbers were on paper and yet my trade equity wasn't subtracted from the total. He argued with me at first until I broke out my phone calculator and showed him. We're not talking about a few hundred dollars, HE WAS 8 THOUSAND DOLLARS OFF! After we got that cleared away he went on at least a 20 minute sales pitch for all the paint protection, extended warranty etc. I told him "no" to all of it. I spent at least 45 minutes to an hour telling him I'm not buying any of the extras. He'd leave the office for a few minutes and try again. Then he started sending in other sales people...I still said no. It seemed really desperate and smarmy.

It was raining the night of purchase so I had to bring my car back to get a detail and accessories installed at a later date.

Approximately May 19th, I took my car in to have Roof Rails and*all-weather floor mats installed.* I still didn't get my detail that day because of*the wet*weather.* I was in a rush when I picked up my car and didn't realize there was a large amount of a tar-like substance on my driver's seat.* This substance was also all over the exterior of my car: door handles, roof etc.

The next day (May 20th)*I notified my salesperson via text about his*tar on my*seat*and he told me to bring it by and they would clean it off.* (I was actually afraid the substance would transfer to my clothing.)* When I arrived, the service advisor said* "There's no one in detail today.* I don't understand how that got on*your interior!* They were working on the outside of your car, not the inside!" *almost as if he was arguing with me about it.* This obviously got on my seat from*a mechanic's*clothing and it was odd to me that a service advisor couldn't understand that.* They decided to put a plastic cover over my seat (so this stuff wouldn't*transfer to my clothing)*until I could bring my car in for it's detail and get the seat cleaned at the same time.

I was finally able to take my car in for its detail on May 24th.* I was*again in a rush and*everything looked fairly well.* There was still a small*amount of this tar on my seat but I cleaned it off quickly with a napkin in the car.

On May 29th, I decided to detail the interior myself.* I took out the floor mats and to my surprise the carpet was filthy under the mats.* It had*never been vacuumed.* I also went on to discover there was a large black mark on the side of the right rear seat, where someone had stood on the side sill of my car (I assume to install the roof rails) and their shoe had rubbed up against the seat.* I had to use alcohol to get this stain out.**But, the most disturbing thing I*discovered was at least 3 dents on the roof panel *on the driver's side.* Specifically, the area immediately*above the doors on the driver's side, between the B and C pillars, and between the top of the doors and the roof rail.* This was obviously*damage caused by a mechanic while installing the roof rails.*I immediately went to the dealership so the manager could see the damage for himself.* He agreed the damage was done during the roof rail install and it was later repaired by a third party.

When I had my first oil change they rotated my tires, and in the process, scratched one of the rims. They swapped a rim off another CX5 to make me happy.

This dealership has had to work hard to keep me happy. Just wish the people that work there acted like they appreciated my business.

Unfortunately this is not an isolated tale and it can be the dealer that spoils an otherwise straight forward process of buying a car. If you could get the staff to thing of this throughput of cars as a customers property instead of “another unit”, you might stand a chance. Unfortunately, many just don’t get it.

I remember picking up my dark blue CX5 - it had a very small scratch. Had the salesman right and sign that he would fix it. That scratch is still there, never went back to that dealer as its 30 miles away - I am happy I stopped at Touring which is the best value trim for 12.23% discount with tinted windows and trunk mat thrown in free. In future a 2.0 CX5 would be great for commuting and getting 30 up combined mpg - also as a good college car for the kid. Most dealers here in Dallas are meh. Dont stock moly and want 90 dollars for a change. Need a good independent once I hit 60k miles.

I remember picking up my dark blue CX5 - it had a very small scratch. Had the salesman right and sign that he would fix it. That scratch is still there, never went back to that dealer as its 30 miles away - I am happy I stopped at Touring which is the best value trim for 12.23% discount with tinted windows and trunk mat thrown in free. In future a 2.0 CX5 would be great for commuting and getting 30 up combined mpg - also as a good college car for the kid. Most dealers here in Dallas are meh. Dont stock moly and want 90 dollars for a change. Need a good independent once I hit 60k miles.

I live in the DFW region as well and will be pulling the trigger on the 17 CX-5 perhaps summer-ish time frame. Seems like Town North Mazda in Richardson is the best one around Dallas. At least according to Google reviews. Sad to hear all dealers around are mediocre... Which one did you ultimately go with?

The dealer we test drove at was great. No pressure. Didn't even ask for our phone number. However we wanted to buy at another dealership as they give a lifetime powertrain warranty on all mazdas. So I emailed them asking for their best price and he wouldn't give it to me! I said we need to sell our jeep on our own and then we'll buy and he wouldn't give me a price until that happened. I got prices from other dealers no problem.
I said well look, this is the invoice price of that vehicle so that's what i'm willing to pay and he completely ignored the question.
So I contacted a car buying service that works with local credit unions and got a price on the same vehicle at the same dealership. Invoice. And when you use the service you also get a discounted rate on your loan. So they are adding on the parking sensors we want and they will deliver the car to us.

December 2015 end bought my 2016. All initial discussion and price finalization happened via Edmund's price promise. Dealer is Wayne, NJ. Entire process took 40 min. If price @ Internet, its usually already low. I matched it vs. TrueCar and Costco, was lowest. Did ask around. Dealership upgraded me to Soul Red, all weather rubber floor mats, trunk liner (all weather) and OEM wheel locks and OEM trunk divider and vanilla remote start at zero extra. Threw in 2 Mazda key chains too (I think since I found them in glove compartment). That's $300 + $130 + $110 + $20 + $50 + $200 + $600 (with labor) = approx. $1300. Note: I had to go to port to take delivery as I specifically wanted a PZEV equipped vehicle - over there they installed the remote start.

Mistake I made - fell for tire insurance. Never, ever. Also fell for: VIN etching. In NJ, that's more or less given - they just pad an additional $300. Its important to highlight that up-front. APR was 0% for 60 months - Mazda.

Last edited:
December 2015 end bought my 2016. All initial discussion and price finalization happened via Edmund's price promise. Dealer is Wayne, NJ. Entire process took 40 min. If price @ Internet, its usually already low. I matched it vs. TrueCar and Costco, was lowest. Did ask around. Dealership upgraded me to Soul Red, all weather rubber floor mats, trunk liner (all weather) and OEM wheel locks and OEM trunk divider and vanilla remote start at zero extra. Threw in 2 Mazda key chains too (I think since I found them in glove compartment). That's $300 + $130 + $110 + $20 + $50 + $200 + $600 (with labor) = approx. $1300. Note: I had to go to port to take delivery as I specifically wanted a PZEV equipped vehicle - over there they installed the remote start.

Mistake I made - fell for tire insurance. Never, ever. Also fell for: VIN etching. In NJ, that's more or less given - they just pad an additional $300. Its important to highlight that up-front. APR was 0% for 60 months - Mazda.

You can always cancel the tire insurance...even after the final sale.

Hello all:

I have just picked up my CX-5 GS with I-Active 2.5 L engine and AWD from Gyro Mazda in Toronto (Canada). I had a pretty good experience on the overall, with any concerns sorted out quickly. I told them from the onset that I wanted a good relationship for a long time as I intend to come back for scheduled maintenance with them. I had the attitude that they need to make some money and was looking to be treated fairly and in a respectful way.

The night of the test drive, I was really pleased that the route to be taken was clearly posted and explained beforehand. The salesperson went over the operation of the mirrors, seats and other controls that I might need. he encouraged me to "punch it" to feel the acceleration and ensure that I was comfortable with the vehicle. He insisted I turn on sport mode to try that as well. The drive was long enough to get the feel of the vehicle on several different roads surfaces, speeds and driving conditions.

i used car Cost Canada to get the dealer invoice price. They came back with a price that was lower than I expected - 3% over invoice. They agreed to take my 2003 Honda Element as a trade-in. The trade-in value as lower than what I would have liked, but it was a manual and had a repair job done on the rear bumper from where I had been rear-ended. I looked at it that I did not want the hassle of selling privately or trying to get a Honda dealer to give me a better price as I really had finished with Honda - I don't like the CR-V. I was happy to be able to turn my old car over without a lot of issues and be able to walk away with a new ride.

I turned down the usual paint / carpet / upholstery protection rackets but did get the better front floor mats. I did add the nicer pedals, a front hood deflector and mudflaps. No haggling there on my part. The price included installation and it was done for me ready for pickup.

When I picked it up yesterday, there was some pressure to get some extra insurance and coverages. I agreed to the extended service package - I am concerned with the components in the I-Active system failing and needing replacing. There was some confusion as to what price was what - monthly prices were given as it was to be rolled into the financing. When we were doing the final payment for what was being added on - I didn't want to finance the accessories - I had to ask what the extra $7K was. There was misunderstanding as to what my requirements were and how that was being paid for. The documents were cheerfully recreated with little fuss and a small adjustment made to the pricing to my benefit.

My car was ready for me, clean and with my custom plates transferred. The delivery manager walked me through the basics of the operation of the vehicle and had me set up my phone. She also walked me over the Service Department and we chatted about the regular scheduled maintenance and what was required to setup an appointment.

The overall experience was very good. Everything was done in a friendly way with a focus on ensuring that I was happy as a purchaser. I was not going to make a big fight about prices and discounts as I had made a big down payment and with .99% financing over 2 years for the balance I am getting a very reasonable deal. The dealer makes some money and gets a happy customer. Win / Win.

This was a far better experience that I had buying my 2003 Honda Element. Everything felt like a fight with that dealer - including the fact that I had to use a personal connection to get my VIN number and delivery date. They had also flat out lied to me about me installing a Honda Element accessory I had bought from them. They claimed me installing that Honda accessory by myself would violate the warranty. That and a few other issues caused me to call Honda Canada who then called the dealer to get them sorted out. My personal connection was indirectly also to the President's Office at Honda Canada and I was told that there was some heat from that office as well.

So, in short, I am very happy with Gyro Mazda and many other people are as well. They have 4.6 rating on Google - that's not easy for anyone to get and maintain. I will happily recommend Gyro Mazda to anyone.

IskiE

assuming payments are with tax and not in one of states which collect whoe tax upfront.
touring with the additional pkg should be easily doable with some small out the door cost. GT is also possible but needs more bargaining.
At the end all depends on dealers wishes to cooperate and current incentives.
You can also check autobytel for her zip. Also see if she can use loyalty rebate since you have Mazda.
Think a good discount is roughly 10% on msrp. residuals per model are fixed. etc.

there are also few variables which can change price.
lease miles and period, awd fwd and zip code - for the residual value.
the interest on 2019 is also a bit high vs 2018.
Last months mf (interest) on 2018 was near 0.12%.
2019 is now roughly in the 3.8% range.
May be also worth looking for leftovers 2018 model which should get better price discount.
Do look into the loyalty rebate.,its 750usd.
be careful of dealers inflating the MF and dealer added addons.

After telephoning the dealerships in my area I bought a 2019 CX-5 today from the one where the salesperson honored the out the door price he had offered me.

After telephoning the dealerships in my area I bought a 2019 CX-5 today from the one where the salesperson honored the out the door price he had offered me.

Good.

Honestly, I've just not had nasty experiences with reputable dealers. I once bought a vehicle 5 hours away, and when I arrived, it had MORE features than they had told me, and they bought my car at the price we agreed to, and sold me theirs at the agreed upon price, as well.
This last vehicle, the GSM actually worked the deal in front of me, full screen facing me, showing dealer hold back, everything. 100% transparent.

I feel like with the internet, and the focus shifting from "make money at time of sale" to "make money off the loan/service/etc", we are seeing dealerships behaving in a much more reputable manner.

Good.

Honestly, I've just not had nasty experiences with reputable dealers. I once bought a vehicle 5 hours away, and when I arrived, it had MORE features than they had told me, and they bought my car at the price we agreed to, and sold me theirs at the agreed upon price, as well.
This last vehicle, the GSM actually worked the deal in front of me, full screen facing me, showing dealer hold back, everything. 100% transparent.

I feel like with the internet, and the focus shifting from "make money at time of sale" to "make money off the loan/service/etc", we are seeing dealerships behaving in a much more reputable manner.

The nearest dealer to me actually did a bait and switch. On the telephone he confirmed my out the door price, however once I was at the dealership he raised the price by 10%.
The following day I bought the car from a dealer one hour away from me, because that dealer did honor the out the door price agreed to during our telephone conversation.

The nearest dealer to me actually did a bait and switch. On the telephone he confirmed my out the door price, however once I was at the dealership he raised the price by 10%.
The following day I bought the car from a dealer one hour away from me, because that dealer did honor the out the door price agreed to during our telephone conversation.

wtf!? Seriously? That's crap. Are they known to be a bad dealer? That's 1998 tactics.

wtf!? Seriously? That's crap. Are they known to be a bad dealer? That's 1998 tactics.

It's my nearest Mazda dealer but I've never bought a car from them.
Three years ago my wife and I went in there to test drive a MX-5 Miata. As we left the dealership I noticed there appeared to be about 1/64th of a tank of gas. Seriously I was not sure the car would make it the 3 or 4 blocks to the nearest gas station, but it did, and I filled it with $20 worth of gas. We drove the Miata for about 20 minutes. Back at the dealership I gave the salesperson the gas receipt but was never reimbursed the $20. That's o.k., though, because it was fun driving the MX-5.

So my purchase experience was mixed. Was looking at either a GTR or Sig. Didn't really care about color, except I told the sales guy, NOT black or white. He brought out a gray GTR to try out and it was love at first sight. ;-)

Negotiations got a bit ugly, when discussing my trade. I was trading a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, with 80k miles, but in extremely good shape. I gave them a usb stick with every maintenance and repair receipt on it. I did my research up front and the KBB TRADE IN VALUE (average condition) was just over $18,000. Wranglers do hold their value! Well, they come back with an offer of $1,500 off MSRP and $13,000 for my trade. I tell him he's not even in the ballpark. He proceeds to pull out a KBB printout showing the cash buyout on my Jeep at $13,000 instead of using the trade in value. So I hand him my printout and explain this isn't a cash buyout, it's a trade in.

So, out comes the sales manager, who proceeds to try and convince me that the cash buyout figure is indeed the trade value. I again showed him my printout and he insists that his number is the trade value. So I tell him that we're wasting everyone's time and it's time to walk away. As I stand up to leave, they start to get antsy and ask for a minute to take one more look at the numbers.

Five minutes later, they magically come back with the $18k trade value and we shake hands. Even though I got what I wanted, the whole ordeal left a sour taste in my mouth as they were lying to be without blinking an eye. It just reinforced my disdain for dealing with car dealers.

So my purchase experience was mixed. Was looking at either a GTR or Sig. Didn't really care about color, except I told the sales guy, NOT black or white. He brought out a gray GTR to try out and it was love at first sight. ;-)

Negotiations got a bit ugly, when discussing my trade. I was trading a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, with 80k miles, but in extremely good shape. I gave them a usb stick with every maintenance and repair receipt on it. I did my research up front and the KBB TRADE IN VALUE (average condition) was just over $18,000. Wranglers do hold their value! Well, they come back with an offer of $1,500 off MSRP and $13,000 for my trade. I tell him he's not even in the ballpark. He proceeds to pull out a KBB printout showing the cash buyout on my Jeep at $13,000 instead of using the trade in value. So I hand him my printout and explain this isn't a cash buyout, it's a trade in.

So, out comes the sales manager, who proceeds to try and convince me that the cash buyout figure is indeed the trade value. I again showed him my printout and he insists that his number is the trade value. So I tell him that we're wasting everyone's time and it's time to walk away. As I stand up to leave, they start to get antsy and ask for a minute to take one more look at the numbers.

Five minutes later, they magically come back with the $18k trade value and we shake hands. Even though I got what I wanted, the whole ordeal left a sour taste in my mouth as they were lying to be without blinking an eye. It just reinforced my disdain for dealing with car dealers.
Yikes.

Finance guy tried to sneak in 2 addition percentage points on my finance rate on the paperwork I was signing. Prepared to walk out and he fixed that right up with a huff and puff.

Crazy. No wonder you guys don't understand why I take my car to the dealer for service. That stuff doesn't fly here. My dealer actually was ecstatic over my CU's 3.24% for 72mo and told me to take that deal and he didn't even run my credit to try to compete.

Crazy. No wonder you guys don't understand why I take my car to the dealer for service. That stuff doesn't fly here. My dealer actually was ecstatic over my CU's 3.24% for 72mo and told me to take that deal and he didn't even run my credit to try to compete.
Eh...the nicest Mazda dealer around here is also the one selling supposed transmission fluid flushes on Skyactiv trannies. Considering you have to mod some lines on to do that, seems dishonest to me and the average person won't know any better.

Eh...the nicest Mazda dealer around here is also the one selling supposed transmission fluid flushes on Skyactiv trannies. Considering you have to mod some lines on to do that, seems dishonest to me and the average person won't know any better.

Sales and service operate as two separate businesses at many (most?) dealerships, so experience with one doesn't necessarily translate to experience with the other.

I learned that the hard way when I decided to replace my previous Mazda and decided to start at the dealership I'd been servicing at for 6 years. The salesman (and then his manager) gave me a dog and pony show that could have been copied verbatim out of Don't Get Taken Every Time. So I walked out and drove to the next-nearest dealer 15 minutes away, who immediately accepted what I already knew was a perfectly reasonable offer. Their service department turned out to be quite good as well, so the first dealership lost a sale and my ongoing service business.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes (inout)

Back