Any performance mods available for 2012+?

maximumrob

:
2012 Mazda 5
Gents,

My wife's 2012 Mazda 5 meets all expectations when using the car as intended so it's well loved in our home. The "fun to drive" factor is so close to being there but just out of reach for a stocker. I have a history of never leaving a vehicle alone and visited Cobb Performance a couple years ago to no avail ("there's nothing available for that car"). Have any of you figured out how to get more ponies out of this thing and firm up the shifting on the auto trans? Am I stuck buying performance parts for a Mazda 3 and hoping they're a direct fit?

Thanks in advance,
maximumrob

Gents,

My wife's 2012 Mazda 5 meets all expectations when using the car as intended so it's well loved in our home. The "fun to drive" factor is so close to being there but just out of reach for a stocker. I have a history of never leaving a vehicle alone and visited Cobb Performance a couple years ago to no avail ("there's nothing available for that car"). Have any of you figured out how to get more ponies out of this thing and firm up the shifting on the auto trans? Am I stuck buying performance parts for a Mazda 3 and hoping they're a direct fit?

Thanks in advance,
maximumrob

any aftermarket part for a mazda 3 should be a direct fit. the engine, suspension etc. are all identical. Personally i would not focus too much on power/engine mods because you have the auto transmission which is a real let-down in terms of performance, but there are still some things you can do.

- transmission remap: this will make the shifts much more smooth and quick
-ecu tune
-exhaust system: change the muffler, remove your second cat, install exhaust headers etc.
-higher flowing intake and/or exhaust manifold

honestly, I would be focusing on handling upgrades. get some bilstein struts, eibach springs, camber plates, sway bars, maybe some stiffer bushings etc. a limited slip differential with a longer final drive ratio would make a drastic increase with performance. don't forget to get an alignment with those camber plates and some new high performance tires such as firestone indy 500.

Gents,

Thanks in advance,
maximumrob

I think basic answer is a no. There are a few suspension upgrades and perhaps you can get 2-3 more HP for a few thousand.
I believe there was one attempt by a pro shop to do a real upgrade to the 5 and their basic answer was don't do it.
They did it at cost of what the car was worse or more just because they could. If I recall, they "dropped" a mazda speed engine into the 5.
It is a dead platform with no performance crowd in the market outside perhaps 5 people.
If you want a faster car, get a different faster car :)

Last edited:
Vasy is correct, the bang for buck quotient is just not available on this chassis.

And since it is your FAMILY car, I can not see you wanting to make it illegal, or undrivable on the street like the poster Molestor is suggesting.

As far as performance aftermarket support, while some parts do transfer over, some do not, and in addition the Mazda5 drivetrains lagged behind the Mazda3 updates by a year or two, so you have to do some research and trial/error to see if things fit across the various 5/3 platforms and model years.

In my experience with the 5, as with my Miata's; I found the Mazda5's are a great handling chassis and able to carry speed thru corners. I think your money is best spent on upgrading to better tires/shocks/struts.

Different perspective

Weight is your enemy, lose weight.

You shed pounds, don’t carry junk in trunk, lose unnecessary add-ons <— ok, this is not practical

Get light weight$$ AND smaller diameter rims and tires. Unsprung weight affects your initial acceleration and MPG. This will give you the most bang for the buck in initial take off feel (power). Great for suspension too bc less mass for dampers to work with (we’re not taking plush ride with heavy rim). Shop smart and look for used OEM/quality rims (Miata).

If you had a 2.3, the easy power upgrade is a Ford 2.5 ecotec motor (cheap and new life in your old car).

Last edited:
Back