Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: No Crank No Start. Help Diagnosing?

Registered Member

Protege5

No Crank No Start. Help Diagnosing?

2002 P5 5 Speed. My battery is fully charged, the positive and negative terminals seem tight, no clicking coming from the driver side fuse box when I try to start it, the keyfob works, the lights turn on. The instrument cluster all lights up in the on position. I can hear the fan blower relay switching in the passenger side dash when I try to start it. The starter hasn't been acting up prior. No start occurred suddenly. Haven't tried bump starting since I'm on a hill with a dead end and no street parking is available to push it aside to if the bump start fails.

I am starting with trying to bypass the clutch interlock switch with a wire lead, but am having difficulty determining which switch this one is. I see two switches. After searching the forum, I assume the switch with the grey/black body on the clutch pedal side is the cruise control switch. Where I am confused is regarding the white switch that is mounted on the firewall side. Is this the clutch interlock switch? I've seen it referenced by various names and not sure of it's purpose or if this is the switch I am interested in.

I haven't yet delved into the fuse/relay box or tried to do the starter solenoid screwdriver trick.

Anyone have any help on this?
    Regards,
    Zach

--------------
    2002 Protege5

Donated: $5

You are absolutely sure the battery is good? Maybe try jump starting first, your battery may not have the sufficient amperage anymore.

Registered Member

Protege5

Damn you were right. Bump starting worked. It also started after a jump. Maybe it's the battery or alternator huh?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $5

Quote Originally Posted by PowrSlave View Post
    Damn you were right. Bump starting worked. It also started after a jump. Maybe it's the battery or alternator huh?
    Most likely the battery, do you know the age of the battery? you can take the battery and have it load tested at Autozone to find out the condition of the battery.

If you have a multimeter/voltmeter you can check if the alternator is working.

You should have around 14.3 volts at the battery posts with the engine running.
    Last edited by rsvinylgraphics; 01-01-2018 at 04:34 PM.