Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: News cx5 GS vibration issue

Registered Member

Cx5

CX5 2017 owner here in Canada. It's been -20 like everyday and the vehicle has been making an insane amount of vibration, hurts your ears after awhile. Before winter hit the vehicle has been fine, no issues. Now I hate driving it.

Any update on a fix coming? Is this all new cx5's?

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I doubt there will be a fix IF it turns out the oil has stiffened due to cold weather.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 KF 2.0 MT 2WD 2017

On the Russia still there is no solution. On The Canada I think same. Looks, we have to wait until next winter.
    >> Is this all new cx5's?
    Yes, only all new CX-5 have this problem.
    Last edited by rnmv; 02-07-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by rnmv View Post
    On the Russia still there is no solution. On The Canada I think same. Looks, we have to wait until next winter.
    >> Is this all new cx5's?
    Yes, only all new CX-5 have this problem.
    Do you see many CX-5s in Russia?

Registered Member

2009 M3 GT (White-Hatchback), 2018 CX5 GT AWD (White-Tech Pkg)

I wonder if this is an issue with an older model as I never *knock on woods* experience this on my 2018 GT ... When I first had my car last January 13, the first week, the temperature for the whole week was averaging around -10c to -15c feeling like -25c and it was smooth, no vibration.

From what I see here, looks like from 2017 and older model... maybe because there is more sound deadening added to the 2018 model which helps lessen the vibration?
    Last edited by Ghostsniper; 02-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Do you see many CX-5s in Russia?
    Yes, Mazda CX-5 is popular in Russia. From words of my dealership on my city all 2017 Mazda CX-5 which were sold here having vibration problem on cold.
    From what I see here, looks like from 2017 and older model... maybe because there is more sound deadening added to the 2018 model which helps lessen the vibration?
    I don't know about 2018 model, but 2017 (2 gen) models of new CX-5 KF have this problem. AFAIK, there is no difference between 2017 and 2018 models, except year. Correct me if I am wrong.
    In my experience, engine mount will freeze only if temperature less -15c and there is no warming of engine during 2 day.

Registered Member

Cx5

This is a response I got when I contacted Mazda

"The engineers have come to the conclusion of one main engine mount which is being compromised by the cold which is basically freezing the rubber internally which allows for severe vibrations and noise.

We have seen that once the engine mount returns to a certain temperature that the driving functionality returns back to an original state. The vehicle is perfectly safe to drive so I would not be concerned. It is strictly just an inconvenience due to noise and vibration."

Registered Member

2018 CX5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by MazMik View Post

"The engineers have come to the conclusion of one main engine mount which is being compromised by the cold which is basically freezing the rubber internally which allows for severe vibrations and noise.

We have seen that once the engine mount returns to a certain temperature that the driving functionality returns back to an original state. The vehicle is perfectly safe to drive so I would not be concerned. It is strictly just an inconvenience due to noise and vibration."
    do they plan on fixing it?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MazMik View Post

I would not say it is just inconvenience. It is problem, for north regions like Russia, Canada, Alaska where less -15c is usual temperature in winter. I think it is even can cause headaches, cuz vibration is felt pretty strong and it is very low frequency.
    Last time when was cold, I felt vibration about one hour. I hope they will solve this problem until next winter, because I not saw such problem on other models of mazda and other car manufacturers, even when temperature was less -30c.

Registered Member

Cx5

They told me the engineers are looking into a fix. So I'm personally hoping by next winters time we don't have to suffer with this insane vibration.

I advise more people to contact them about it so they realize it's not just some minor inconvenience, it's a serious flaw! I wouldn't recommend this current vehicle to anyone in northern Canada at this point.

So everyone voice your issues.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

The Mazda Facebook page is quite responsive. Apparently Mazda is logging how many 2017 CX-5s have this issue based on my Messenger conversion with the Mazda rep. So definitely contact them.

Oddly, we've had a few -20C mornings here and the vibration issue hasn't occurred. But we're not having sustained cold temperature, generally getting pretty mild during the day.

Let's call it for what it is; lack of testing. I suspect that when Mazda changed the engine mounts in their push to make the 2017's even quieter, someone nixed having to redo the cold weather testing That has to cost $250,000 at least; flying 3 or 4 engineers up north, paying they're salary, room and board, transporting the car up there.

The manufacturer of the engine mounts likely claimed they're good to -50C, it's just a drop-in replacement, so why bother with cold weather testing?

I agree that it's a serious flaw. Sure, the vehicle is "safe to drive" but what is all this vibration doing to the integrity of the interior of the vehicle? I don't want to be driving around listening to rattles because of this.

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I’m sorry but there is absolutely no way on this earth that Mazda missed cold weather testing and if you think it’s down to hotel bill, you are very naive. They cannot launch the car without documented evidence that the test and every aspect including NVH was done.

Registered Member

Who really knows? Maybe this same mount is being used in other vehicles with no issues? Could we be talking about a harmonic vibration here? That would be difficult to test out since it’s not just the mount itself but the combination of the subframe, engine and locations of the mounts.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GS

I've got a '17 CX-5, only has 600km's on it so far. It's been cold here in Newfoundland and I haven't experienced any vibration as of it!

First when you start a Skyactiv engine when it's cold there is some engine noise and vibration for maybe half a minute until the engine warms a little bit, but that's normal since they debuted.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    Who really knows? Maybe this same mount is being used in other vehicles with no issues? Could we be talking about a harmonic vibration here? That would be difficult to test out since it’s not just the mount itself but the combination of the subframe, engine and locations of the mounts.
    Precisely.
    Could also be some parts manufactured out of spec.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast