Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 118

Thread: News cx5 GS vibration issue

  1. #46
    Registered Member

    Ford

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1
    I work at a dealer in the northern USA, I don't want to say exactly where, but temperatures below 0F are common here. With all due respect, users from Texas and the UK would never see this kind of cold and have no idea what the Canadians are talking about.

    This shudder (IMO, it's more than just a vibration) has nothing to do with ice or snow build up in the driveline or wheels. The best way I can describe it is it's like driving a car with a manual trans in too high of a gear; it's like you're lugging it to death. I took one out when it was -15F and it felt like the engine was about to drop out of the thing. The only remedy for this in the meanwhile is to manually shift the car down a gear when it starts to shudder.

    From what I've been told Mazda USA hasn't given us much to work with so far. We've been told they think it's the liquid motor mounts (and from my experience, I believe that to be true.) I wouldn't be surprised if the fix would be an ECU update to raise the shift points when the car detects extremely cold temps. Much, much cheaper than replacing motor mounts.

  2. #47
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeWhipX3 View Post
    I work at a dealer in the northern USA, I don't want to say exactly where, but temperatures below 0F are common here. With all due respect, users from Texas and the UK would never see this kind of cold and have no idea what the Canadians are talking about.

    This shudder (IMO, it's more than just a vibration) has nothing to do with ice or snow build up in the driveline or wheels. The best way I can describe it is it's like driving a car with a manual trans in too high of a gear; it's like you're lugging it to death. I took one out when it was -15F and it felt like the engine was about to drop out of the thing. The only remedy for this in the meanwhile is to manually shift the car down a gear when it starts to shudder.

    From what I've been told Mazda USA hasn't given us much to work with so far. We've been told they think it's the liquid motor mounts (and from my experience, I believe that to be true.) I wouldn't be surprised if the fix would be an ECU update to raise the shift points when the car detects extremely cold temps. Much, much cheaper than replacing motor mounts.
    I think you are probably correct. Mine does seem to hang on to revs when cold but maybe that could be extended.

  3. #48
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    ON
    Posts
    38
    I started a post under the Engine/Transmission section, but we have the same issue with our 2017 CX-5 GT. Came back from a trip down south last weekend so the car had been sitting in outdoor airport parking in -25C temps. Driving home I thought we were going to have to pull over and call a tow truck. Rough idle, increased engine noise in the cabin, and very bad vibration in the lower RPM range (1500 to 2000 RPM). Enough to make the rear-view mirrors go blurry with shaking and make interior pieces start resonating. The car did it the whole 45 minute drive home. Drove the car the next day and same issue so we were starting to get worried that something was really wrong with the car. I went to make an appointment with the dealer but when we drove the car on Monday in much milder temperatures it was fine.

    I contacted Mazda Canada via their Facebook page and they confirmed they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix, but no timeframe was given.

  4. #49
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    ON
    Posts
    38
    I have to mention this is also the first car where I've seen the engine temperature drop in cold weather once the engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light for a few minutes in -25C weather and I watched the engine temperature drop by a several ticks.

  5. #50
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,509

    Arrow New cx5 GS vibration issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Effort View Post
    I have to mention this is also the first car where I've seen the engine temperature drop in cold weather once the engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light for a few minutes in -25C weather and I watched the engine temperature drop by a several ticks.
    If you have no issues on your othe vehicles in such cold temperature, then Mazda really should fix these issues as they must make mistakes either in design or choosing the wrong parts which canít handle such extreme temperature.

  6. #51
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,410
    The engine temp will fluctuate at idle and it may be more noticeable at very low ambient.

  7. #52
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    639
    Its probably very difficult to test all of these corner cases on a reasonable development schedule. I'm sure they'll make sure the 2019s don't have the same problem.

    Driving around in -25 to me, sounds like driving during an earthquake, tornado, or flood. If it's that cold, I'm thinking survival rather than comfort. But for those who are used to that sort of weather, I guess it seems much different

  8. #53
    Registered Member
    Donated: $20

    2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    1,149
    More and more I get the feeling Mazda as a company did not sufficient vet their vehicles in extreme cold. I guess they might have validated stuff up to maybe -10 C. Frankly - this is 1 area Subaru is good. My friend @ Maine swears by Subaru and he has to make rounds in -30C and till date no problem.

  9. #54
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,410
    Most manufacturers test in arctic and desert conditions.

  10. #55
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Most manufacturers test in arctic and desert conditions.
    Presumably with targeted tests. Surely they don't do all of their testing in those conditions.

  11. #56
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,410
    They have a suite of tests that are relevant to temperature extremes but most things are documented. If you’ve not seen a development car it will be a surprise to you. It’s a mass of wires, computers, sensors and probes for all sorts of tests. It’s usually the supplier of components that test one thing so for us it was brakes and that took up most of the interior space.

  12. #57
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    ON
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Its probably very difficult to test all of these corner cases on a reasonable development schedule. I'm sure they'll make sure the 2019s don't have the same problem.

    Driving around in -25 to me, sounds like driving during an earthquake, tornado, or flood. If it's that cold, I'm thinking survival rather than comfort. But for those who are used to that sort of weather, I guess it seems much different
    I don't see it as a corner case; it's a fact of life during winter here in Canada. It was -24C this morning when I got up. It's up to a balmy -22C now. A vehicle sold here (specifically one marketed as being able to tackle Canadian winters) should be able to function normally at these temperatures.

  13. #58
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-5 KF 2.0 MT 2WD 2017

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    6

    Unhappy

    Problem is still exist, this week again the cold (below -25 Celsius) and still no information from Mazda Motor Rus LLC.
    Some Russian owners recorded that vibration on video [1],[2],[3].

    Video links (listen with headphones, but anyway these videos can not convey all frequency range):
    [1] - https://youtu.be/2L65ZZhFM1c?t=42
    [2] - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U1p...CIdBJJ0FP/view
    [3] - https://yadi.sk/i/CYg_ea303RZ3gw


    Maybe USA\Canada owners have any good news?

  14. #59
    Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

    2014 QX70 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Most manufacturers test in arctic and desert conditions.
    yup...

    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pe-ride-review

  15. #60
    Registered Member DubbuD's Avatar

    2017 Mazda CX-5 GS AWD

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Paradise, NL, Canada
    Posts
    185
    I surprisingly haven't had this issue yet, but we also surprisingly haven't had a day with below -15 ambient temps yet. Lots of cold cold windchill, since it's been consistently windy this winter with winds frequently and presistently reaching 80 - 120 km/h, which is crazy, but the lowest I've seen the ambient temp get to is -14.6 C yet this year. I'll def report back if I get into the extreme cold ambient temps on any issues. I do notice that the car seems to take a considerable amount of time to warm up and idle down even in -10 - -15 C weather, but as long as that is normal and an act of self-preservation by the car's computer, I'm fine with it.
    Current:
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GS AWD

    Past:
    2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 AWD Tech Package (Scrap )
    2005 Toyota Echo Sedan (Sold)
    2004 Ford F-150 Triton FX-4 Crew Cab (Sold)
    2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t Premium (Sold)
    2005 Honda Civic DX (Sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SE (Sold)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Maybe an issue, maybe just a normal thing (transmission vibration)
    By Tatback in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 11:33 PM
  2. MP3 idle issue with good news too
    By peeenl in forum Protege5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM
  3. Strange rumble/vibration issue at low speed
    By Alfissimoint. in forum CX-9 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 08:57 PM
  4. Steering wheel shake/vibration issue
    By Hank3 in forum Protege5
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •