New CX-5 GS vibration issue

So the garage is close,I talked to my sales rep,he told me that somebody else called him today about the same thing,and he will have answer from me tomorrow,in mean Time he says there is nothing to worry about, funny enough,I took the car for a little drive today,and all seems more or less normal,as I mentioned,it does not have even 500km on it so maybe it is a matter of driving little bit more.i will let you know guys tomorrow what they tell me.in mean Time HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU.

Another possibility is that snow/ice built up on the driveline or other moving parts that caused the imbalance.

happened with my 4Runner a number of years back. had a lot of snow and ice pack stuck in/on the under carriage. it made some obvious vibrations and minor noises that subsided when the weather warmed up and that crap finally fell off.

Came back from the dealer and they did admit that there is hydraulic bar that freezes at -20 Celsius and they are working on a fix for the problem.

Many others have been reporting issues with vibrations at starting the cold so it looks like a genaral thing

Thanks for info Nick
Is there any risk of damage until they find a fix ?
I asked them if this cause any damages an they said 100% no .

Once the car is warmed up its back to being smooth , its just those first 20 min of driving when its cold that it had bad vibrations.
Are you having the same issues?

My opinion is skyactiv is prone to max damage in colder weather. I only get a blue light to indicate the engine is cold. During that time I never ever ever rev past 2k. I drive 30 mph even in 40 for the first 5-7 minutes. I drive longer in the parking lot taking a longer route so it warms up more. In last few days we have seen 14F here in Dallas - I drove it very gently, gentle acceleration.
One thing I noticed - in extreme cold the brakes squeak till they get upto temp.

Brakes squeak were heard in stop n go traffic a few miles ago. Before that I have never heard brake noises in my 17K miles.

Yes same issue, under -20C : loud vibrations when gear (D) engaged and low RPM. Car is more difficult to manipulate (starting engine, engage gear shifter, stearing wheel... )
Its really like some grease/oil somewhere harden under -20C
Disappear as soon as car is warmer. Im leaving in Montreal too and driving a lot to Rouyn Noranda (less 5 to 10C than Montreal)

My opinion is skyactiv is prone to max damage in colder weather. I only get a blue light to indicate the engine is cold. During that time I never ever ever rev past 2k. I drive 30 mph even in 40 for the first 5-7 minutes. I drive longer in the parking lot taking a longer route so it warms up more. In last few days we have seen 14F here in Dallas - I drove it very gently, gentle acceleration.
One thing I noticed - in extreme cold the brakes squeak till they get upto temp.

Brakes squeak were heard in stop n go traffic a few miles ago. Before that I have never heard brake noises in my 17K miles.

its almost a catch 22. you don't want to hurt your engine by going too hard on it when its cold, but at the same time, its programmed to hold gears longer to help everything get up to operating temp.

personally, i just tried to keep RPMs under 3k while it was cold. <=2k would seem difficult, and annoying.

I'm not 100% sure but I think for Canada the cars have to meet specific requirements for the cold weather.

I'm not 100% sure but I think for Canada the cars have to meet specific requirements for the cold weather.
This is a very intense canadian winter , its been very long that i haven't seen this type of cold

Same problem. Official service said ther engines mount is not for this cold. Central office already knows this issue and its possible that this part will be changed asap.

I had the same issues with the recent below -25C temperatures! My car's roof was making loud vibration noises from inside the cabin as I pressed on the accelerator!
When the temperatures get warmer, the problem goes away, but I am concerned about issues in the long run...
I will also mention the issue to the dealer.

New cx5 GS vibration issue

I had the same issues with the recent below -25C temperatures! My car's roof was making loud vibration noises from inside the cabin as I pressed on the accelerator!
When the temperatures get warmer, the problem goes away, but I am concerned about issues in the long run...
I will also mention the issue to the dealer.
During recent extremely cold weather many 2nd-gen CX-5 owners experienced this vibration issue caused by new hydraulic engine mounts which isnt functioning well under such low temperature environment. Apparently Mazda didnt test it under such environment, and mention it to Mazda dealer is not enough. Those owners should contact Mazda Canada or Mazda North American Operations directly and let them know these new hydraulic engine mounts need to get replaced with better ones.

Increased engine noise, bad vibration after spending two weeks in the cold.

Looks it is "worldwide" issue. Russian and Kazakhstan owners having same issue, under -20C (http://cx-5.ru/forums/topic/5421/). I also experienced vibration around the car, even when engine was warmed up about 50 Celsius. Max vibration is felt around 1000-1800 RPM. Now a bit scary to start engine without warm garage if outside under - 20 Celsius.

Last edited:
Run a search with this; “cars with liquid engine mounts vibrations when cold”.

You will discover that pretty much everyone has this issue. Even Mercedes Benz. So it’s not a Mazda exclusive.

I hope they make special mounts for Canada, instead of changing the nominal design for everybody, assuming there will be some compromises to accommodate extreme cold that most regions don't need to worry about.

New cx5 GS vibration issue

Run a search with this; cars with liquid engine mounts vibrations when cold.

You will discover that pretty much everyone has this issue. Even Mercedes Benz. So its not a Mazda exclusive.
Really? I did Google cars with liquid engine mounts vibrations when cold, and all it came up are several old vehicles such as a 8.5-year-old 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with 95K miles or a 9-year-old 2002 Ford Focus wagon with 143k miles, that were having vibration problem in cold!

Back