New CX-5 GS vibration issue

Can vibration due freezing mounts cause increased tear and wear of engine?

hello everyone,i'm new to the forum,i just got new 2017 cx5,not even 400km on it yet,its been really cold for last few days here in Montreal - 30 Celsius,i didn't have any issues so far with starting the engine ,but this morning the car clearly struggled a bit the battery is brand new as it came with the car,so im wondering if it could be an issue ,or simply the fact that the car is brand new and still tight,so it simply need breaking in,also it transmits lots of engine vibration to the cabin and steering wheel,and when on stop light the RPM goes sometimes from 800 to500.really weird.

Are you saying the RPMs drop from ~800 to 500 at a stop light?

Likely it’s the ac compressor cycling. The engine increases rpm to handle the load better. Mine idles from 750 to 500.

Yes, in the real cold, my car did that. Nothing to really worry about. My idle is normally 750 RPM and occasionally will go to 1000 at the start. Nothing out of the ordinary. Dropping down too much could indicate something.

I work at a dealer in the northern USA, I don't want to say exactly where, but temperatures below 0F are common here. With all due respect, users from Texas and the UK would never see this kind of cold and have no idea what the Canadians are talking about.

This shudder (IMO, it's more than just a vibration) has nothing to do with ice or snow build up in the driveline or wheels. The best way I can describe it is it's like driving a car with a manual trans in too high of a gear; it's like you're lugging it to death. I took one out when it was -15F and it felt like the engine was about to drop out of the thing. The only remedy for this in the meanwhile is to manually shift the car down a gear when it starts to shudder.

From what I've been told Mazda USA hasn't given us much to work with so far. We've been told they think it's the liquid motor mounts (and from my experience, I believe that to be true.) I wouldn't be surprised if the fix would be an ECU update to raise the shift points when the car detects extremely cold temps. Much, much cheaper than replacing motor mounts.

I work at a dealer in the northern USA, I don't want to say exactly where, but temperatures below 0F are common here. With all due respect, users from Texas and the UK would never see this kind of cold and have no idea what the Canadians are talking about.

This shudder (IMO, it's more than just a vibration) has nothing to do with ice or snow build up in the driveline or wheels. The best way I can describe it is it's like driving a car with a manual trans in too high of a gear; it's like you're lugging it to death. I took one out when it was -15F and it felt like the engine was about to drop out of the thing. The only remedy for this in the meanwhile is to manually shift the car down a gear when it starts to shudder.

From what I've been told Mazda USA hasn't given us much to work with so far. We've been told they think it's the liquid motor mounts (and from my experience, I believe that to be true.) I wouldn't be surprised if the fix would be an ECU update to raise the shift points when the car detects extremely cold temps. Much, much cheaper than replacing motor mounts.

I think you are probably correct. Mine does seem to hang on to revs when cold but maybe that could be extended.

I started a post under the Engine/Transmission section, but we have the same issue with our 2017 CX-5 GT. Came back from a trip down south last weekend so the car had been sitting in outdoor airport parking in -25C temps. Driving home I thought we were going to have to pull over and call a tow truck. Rough idle, increased engine noise in the cabin, and very bad vibration in the lower RPM range (1500 to 2000 RPM). Enough to make the rear-view mirrors go blurry with shaking and make interior pieces start resonating. The car did it the whole 45 minute drive home. Drove the car the next day and same issue so we were starting to get worried that something was really wrong with the car. I went to make an appointment with the dealer but when we drove the car on Monday in much milder temperatures it was fine.

I contacted Mazda Canada via their Facebook page and they confirmed they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix, but no timeframe was given.

I have to mention this is also the first car where I've seen the engine temperature drop in cold weather once the engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light for a few minutes in -25C weather and I watched the engine temperature drop by a several ticks.

New cx5 GS vibration issue

I have to mention this is also the first car where I've seen the engine temperature drop in cold weather once the engine is warmed up. Sitting at a stop light for a few minutes in -25C weather and I watched the engine temperature drop by a several ticks.
If you have no issues on your othe vehicles in such cold temperature, then Mazda really should fix these issues as they must make mistakes either in design or choosing the wrong parts which cant handle such extreme temperature.

Its probably very difficult to test all of these corner cases on a reasonable development schedule. I'm sure they'll make sure the 2019s don't have the same problem.

Driving around in -25 to me, sounds like driving during an earthquake, tornado, or flood. If it's that cold, I'm thinking survival rather than comfort. But for those who are used to that sort of weather, I guess it seems much different :)

More and more I get the feeling Mazda as a company did not sufficient vet their vehicles in extreme cold. I guess they might have validated stuff up to maybe -10 C. Frankly - this is 1 area Subaru is good. My friend @ Maine swears by Subaru and he has to make rounds in -30C and till date no problem.

They have a suite of tests that are relevant to temperature extremes but most things are documented. If you’ve not seen a development car it will be a surprise to you. It’s a mass of wires, computers, sensors and probes for all sorts of tests. It’s usually the supplier of components that test one thing so for us it was brakes and that took up most of the interior space.

Its probably very difficult to test all of these corner cases on a reasonable development schedule. I'm sure they'll make sure the 2019s don't have the same problem.

Driving around in -25 to me, sounds like driving during an earthquake, tornado, or flood. If it's that cold, I'm thinking survival rather than comfort. But for those who are used to that sort of weather, I guess it seems much different :)

I don't see it as a corner case; it's a fact of life during winter here in Canada. It was -24C this morning when I got up. It's up to a balmy -22C now. A vehicle sold here (specifically one marketed as being able to tackle Canadian winters) should be able to function normally at these temperatures.

I surprisingly haven't had this issue yet, but we also surprisingly haven't had a day with below -15 ambient temps yet. Lots of cold cold windchill, since it's been consistently windy this winter with winds frequently and presistently reaching 80 - 120 km/h, which is crazy, but the lowest I've seen the ambient temp get to is -14.6 C yet this year. I'll def report back if I get into the extreme cold ambient temps on any issues. I do notice that the car seems to take a considerable amount of time to warm up and idle down even in -10 - -15 C weather, but as long as that is normal and an act of self-preservation by the car's computer, I'm fine with it.

Back