New CX-5 GS vibration issue

Chef1

:
Mazda cx5
hello everyone,i'm new to the forum,i just got new 2017 cx5,not even 400km on it yet,its been really cold for last few days here in Montreal - 30 Celsius,i didn't have any issues so far with starting the engine ,but this morning the car clearly struggled a bit the battery is brand new as it came with the car,so im wondering if it could be an issue ,or simply the fact that the car is brand new and still tight,so it simply need breaking in,also it transmits lots of engine vibration to the cabin and steering wheel,and when on stop light the RPM goes sometimes from 800 to500.really weird.

hello everyone,i'm new to the forum,i just got new 2017 cx5,not even 400km on it yet,its been really cold for last few days here in Montreal - 30 Celsius,i didn't have any issues so far with starting the engine ,but this morning the car clearly struggled a bit the battery is brand new as it came with the car,so im wondering if it could be an issue ,or simply the fact that the car is brand new and still tight,so it simply need breaking in,also it transmits lots of engine vibration to the cabin and steering wheel,and when on stop light the RPM goes sometimes from 800 to500.really weird.
I have the same model an year and it seems that it needs lots of warming up in this weather .
Im also in montreal and notice that starting it especially in the morning that it really tough on the engine.

Welcome to the forum.

Itsboth New and very cold as you say so I would live with it a while and then see if it eases when it’s well up to temp and you get a feel for the car. If you pass the dealer it would be worth at least logging your concern with them.

Welcome to the forum.

Itsboth New and very cold as you say so I would live with it a while and then see if it eases when it’s well up to temp and you get a feel for the car. If you pass the dealer it would be worth at least logging your concern with them.
Actually spoke with the dealer and they are aware of this issue and apparently they are running tests in northern Canada on why the starts are so loud and not smooth .

Thanks a lot,this does make me feel better,I will go on Tuesday to the dealership,costs nothing to verify,it is just frustrating,even on warm engine when accelerating it raves loud and long to change the gear,someone else suggested possible air flow sensor problem.

The gearbox is programmed to hold on to gears longer while the engine temp is low. That’s normal.

Do you have the cold weather package with that car? ie block heater.

Congrats and welcome.

There is no actual cold weather package as such. The block heater is an accessory and is dealer installed, if you buy it.
(I negotiated a free block heater with my 2017 M6.).
The engine and transmission in my car is the same as the CX-5, but without the AWD.
With this cold weather (I'm in Ottawa), I've pretty much just parked my car in the garage.
I took it out one day last week, and it was noisy on start up.
I let it run in the driveway for a few minutes before driving away, and it had quieted down by then. Ran fine.
FYI, I also have a 2002 Pathfinder 4X4 that doesn't like cold startups.
The AWD system (transfer case) locks up when cold, and tends to drag the truck down until warm.
Maybe the CX-5 transfer case does something similar?? Just a thought.

Maybe ,mine is is front wheel drive thought,I will see dealer tomorrow and post the diagnosis,just in case anyone else has similar problem.

Hi guys. Same problem here. Stopped by my dealer last week. Problem seems to be related to an engine mount "freezing".
Mazda is aware of the problem in theory. Hope they fix the problem soon. Im sure the car is also running with less power.

Hi guys. Same problem here. Stopped by my dealer last week. Problem seems to be related to an engine mount "freezing".
Mazda is aware of the problem in theory. Hope they fix the problem soon. Im sure the car is also running with less power.

Do you think he mean "freezing" as in due to the cold, or freezing as in just seized up due to a defect or something else?

I am not familiar with the construction of these liquid filled motor mounts but if they are freezing then they should be inspected for any possible damage incurred by such. The temps must be low enough to cause this. Mazda is not the only automaker to use liquid mounts either.

I guess they mean the oil has become thick enough that it transmits vibration. Not impossible I suppose.

Did you leave the car with them? Is it fixed or they just told you to use the car until they find solution? Let me know.

Do you think he mean "freezing" as in due to the cold, or freezing as in just seized up due to a defect or something else?

Not sure about that. All I know is that after using a pressure washer on it the problem was gone. For two days !!

Not sure about that. All I know is that after using a pressure washer on it the problem was gone. For two days !!

You mean a steam cleaner? All they need to do is get it up to normal temp and the engine mounts will be more than thawed out.

Traded in my cx 5 2015 gs for a 017 cx 5 gs .

The 015 warmed up more quickly than the 017 , starting the car in freezing temperatures and it makes a noise like the whole car is coming apart and the vibrations are very noticable the first 15 minutes of driving away with it.

Looks like its a common issue but is there a solution from the dealer or have to wait till warmer weather?

Also noticing the loud vibration coming from the back of the car when accelerating?

The temp needle will stay at 100 on the highway but once off it will start dropping ?

Back