2017~2024 Nav update Mazda Toolbox

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
Just noticed this when I went to update my SD card for Nav using Mazda Toolbox.

"Please make sure Navigation is Launched in your Vehicle"

What the heck? Im suppose to launch Nav in my vehicle and take my SD card inside to update the maps?

When is Mazda gonna get there S*** together and enable AA?

In the meanwhile do I need to keep my nav system running on my CX-5 while I go inside to update my SD card?

Attachments

• mazda-nav-update.jpg
    mazda-nav-update.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 386
I’m guessing they mean the initial launch of the Nav app with the card in the slot. Your car’s vin number is written on the card, preventing it from being used in another vehicle. No vin on the we card, no map update.

Thanks shadonoz & PaulZooms I figured as much trying it now. Will report back.

I Love my 2017 CX-5 GT but some things give me an itch. More like a rash when it has to do with Infotainment.

Looks like 50 min update. Still cooking on SD card update. I did run a backup but this looks to be a large update

Looks like 50 min update. Still cooking on SD card update. I did run a backup but this looks to be a large update

As it happens, I just ran mine today also. Takes a super long time to download but works just fine.

Strange coincidence, I just did mine 2 days ago. Remembered I didn't do the mid year update. I didn't backup. It took forever.

/EDIT/ Actually should have waited. Updates come out: January and June. So if you're thinking about doing an update, wait a few weeks and get January's.

Last edited:
Strange coincidence, I just did mine 2 days ago. Remembered I didn't do the mid year update. I didn't backup. It took forever.

/EDIT/ Actually should have waited. Updates come out: January and June. So if you're thinking about doing an update, wait a few weeks and get January's.

Whoops, too late for me too. Are you limited how often you can update in the three years?

No. There are 2 updates every year. Jan and Jun. It's free updates for 3 years. If they added an update outside those 2, you'd get that free too.
I only suggested waiting because how ridiculously long it takes.

While we are on the topic, where do you go in Mazda Connect to determine which version of the maps you’re currently using?

I normally go to "SD Diagnostics" in Mazda Connect. The detailed output includes a line with map version under the 'Rights' section:

Rights
Map of North America [date of map version] Expiration [your map subscription expiry, i.e. registration date + 3y]

The UK only gets an update once a year to what I can see, last one was in Dec and the file was actually smaller.

It does take time so once a year is fine by me, but we don't have a lot of roads to add or alter in the UK.

I update more for the POI's, not the roads. I was shocked last summer when COSI in Columbus wasn't listed. Big tourist attraction. Guess what? It is now. LOL. Checked after I did the update.
We've had a ton of restaurants open here lately. Cleveland on the map now as a big foodie town. So, nice to get those, too.

but we don't have a lot of roads to add or alter in the UK.

If only that were true near to where I live. New roundabout for new ALDI distribution centre near Castle Donington, new roundabout near Mickleover Derby ( the one where people were driving straight over it when it was completed due to inadequate signage and lighting by the housing developer) for new housing estate and associated roads. Then there is Nottingham as the joker in the pack with the new Broadmarsh re-development where some roads will be closed and pedestrianised et etc etc. Then of course the one way system will be revised (again).

Back