New to Mazda 3: Is there a Big Brake mod? Throwing a Evap code...other things

:
2005 Mazda SP23
Hi,

Sold my P5 with 205,000! Now for the car I really wanted. 2005 M3, SP23, auto trans - stock everything.

Front brakes need replacing: Is there a Big Brake Mod?
Clink in the trans changing from park to drive: Motor Mounts?
Failed smog because of evap code p4586 (gas cap changed but did not fix)

Anything I really need to consider on upgrading? Common issues?

I'm going to flush all the fluids etc but wanted to see what mods are worth it. Changing timing belt and serpentine belt.

Thanks!

Engine:

-secondary cat delete
-ecu tune
-new racing beat axle-back

Handling mods:
-sway bars
-camber plates
-wider stickier rims and tires
-coilovers (such as BC racing)

For brakes, I recommend German OEM parts such as Ferrodo, textar, Pagid, jurid for the pads and Zimmerman for the rotors. Brembo Plain discs are the same thing just more expensive.

Engine:

-secondary cat delete
-ecu tune - Flash or manual tune? The power curve is dull from immediate acceleration now. Would like to see more power earlier.
-new racing beat axle-back

I did the struts with Koni STR, Mazda Speed 12.6 rotors and Hawk Ceramics.

Handling mods:
-sway bars
-camber plates
-wider stickier rims and tires
-coilovers (such as BC racing)

For brakes, I recommend German OEM parts such as Ferrodo, textar, Pagid, jurid for the pads and Zimmerman for the rotors. Brembo Plain discs are the same thing just more expensive.

By the way, the seller is responsible for having his or her car smogged before the sale. Don't tell me you bought the car without it having been smogged?

Regarding the code:
Possible causes
Missing or loose fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
Fuel tank leaking

When is the code detected?
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system has a very large leak such as fuel filler cap fell off, EVAP control system does not operate properly.
Possible symptoms
Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P0456 MAZDA Description
This diagnosis detects leaks in the Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) purge line using engine intake manifold vacuum. If pressure does not increase, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will check for leaks in the line between the fuel tank and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve under the following vacuum test condition.
The vacuum cut valve bypass valve is opened to clear the line between the fuel tank and the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve. The EVAP canister vent control valve will then be closed to shut the EVAP purge line off. The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is opened to depressurize the EVAP purge line using intake manifold vacuum. After this depressurization is implemented, the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve will be closed.

I did buy it without a smog done first. Is there any recourse?

Secondly, it was a cracked fuel pump ring cap. A common problem on these cars

By the way, the seller is responsible for having his or her car smogged before the sale. Don't tell me you bought the car without it having been smogged?

Regarding the code:
Possible causes
Missing or loose fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
Fuel tank leaking

When is the code detected?
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system has a very large leak such as fuel filler cap fell off, EVAP control system does not operate properly.
Possible symptoms
Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
P0456 MAZDA Description
This diagnosis detects leaks in the Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) purge line using engine intake manifold vacuum. If pressure does not increase, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will check for leaks in the line between the fuel tank and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve under the following vacuum test condition.
The vacuum cut valve bypass valve is opened to clear the line between the fuel tank and the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve. The EVAP canister vent control valve will then be closed to shut the EVAP purge line off. The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is opened to depressurize the EVAP purge line using intake manifold vacuum. After this depressurization is implemented, the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve will be closed.

I did buy it without a smog done first. Is there any recourse?

Secondly, it was a cracked fuel pump ring cap. A common problem on these cars

Most likely, it will be difficult for you to get reimbursed. Lesson learned
I always conduct a phone interview as a first "gate" to buying a used car. During the interview, I mention that the seller is responsible to have the car smogged and that I will claim right of refusal to buy the car if it doesn't pass by a certain minimum percentage. If the seller doesn't like that, then there is no further discussion - the deal is dead.
When I called one guy, he told me that he had no time to answer questions. He said that if I am serious, I would drive 30 miles to see the car at his convenience. I promptly hung up the phone and scratched that car off my list.

Latest posts

Back