2018 GT - Entering Nav Destination by Voice

:
CX-9
Last week I traded in a 2011 CX-9 GT for the 2018 version and so far I am loving this car.

One thing I cant figure out is using the voice prompts to enter an address. Ive tried various combinations of pressing the voice button and saying Address, Navigate to an address, etc.

Each time the system says, Entering destination by voice is not currently available, so it knows what Im trying to do.

What gives?

Here is the official MAZDA site, and your commands.

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/howto-voicerecognition?language=en-NA

You cannot change input methods (voice recognition, touch screen or commander knob) during a navigation task. The method used to begin the navigation task must be used through completion. (For example, if you begin a navigation task using the touch screen, you cannot switch to voice recognition until that task has been completed and you begin a new one.)

I've tried it a couple of times and it worked. Just said "navigate to...." and it recognized it.

I tried once by saying Navigate to address and it said “Entering destination by voice is not currently available,”. I will try again and see if I can voice input address.

Yeah I ran into this today on my new 2017 CX-5. I also read the bit in the manual about not switching input methods during a request. I simply hit the voice button and said, "Find an address." And no matter what I tried, I always got the "...not currently available" response. I definitely need to spend more time with it. That's a pretty basic request that I expect to work well.

I tried once by saying Navigate to address and it said “Entering destination by voice is not currently available,”. I will try again and see if I can voice input address.

I always get into this hiccup and gave up the voice and let my fingers do the talking.

Thanks guys. Ive tried all of these things and nothing seems to work. The system definitely recognizes what Im saying, but says its not available; strange. Ill bring it up with the dealer.

If anyone comes up with a solution post it here.

Thanks guys. I’ve tried all of these things and nothing seems to work. The system definitely recognizes what I’m saying, but says it’s not available; strange. I’ll bring it up with the dealer.

I've had my '17 for 4 months now and have run into the same issues as you. As far as I can tell, the voice recognition is garbage. I have Android Auto installed and it recognizes/understands my commands correctly 99% of the time. On the other hand, Mazda navigation only works maybe 5% of the time? I've pretty much resigned to only typing in addresses or using a stored favorite in order to use Mazda navigation.

Mazda navigation - just noticed that if you are in Communication you can look up a contact (iPhone) and rather than select call, you can scroll down to contact’s address and select it to navigate to the address.
Convoluted but it works.

Have had no issues using the voice activated Nav on my 2017 MY Signature...have had mine for a year now and while the voice activated Nav is not as intuitive as I would want it to be, it does the job nevertheless...took awhile to get it to work properly though as I had to follow the tutorial.

Have had no issues using the voice activated Nav on my 2017 MY Signature...have had mine for a year now and while the voice activated Nav is not as intuitive as I would want it to be, it does the job nevertheless...took awhile to get it to work properly though as I had to follow the tutorial.
Yes, I can not stress this enough. Do the IN car VOICE COMMAND tutorial next time you are in the car or driving on a boring trip. Once you know the words the Voice Command system uses, it is easy to use.

Press the Voice Command button on the steering wheel, and say "TUTORIAL"

Last week I traded in a 2011 CX-9 GT for the 2018 version and so far I am loving this car.

One thing I can’t figure out is using the voice prompts to enter an address. I’ve tried various combinations of pressing the voice button and saying “Address,” “Navigate to an address,” etc.

Each time the system says, “Entering destination by voice is not currently available,” so it knows what I’m trying to do.

What gives?

It will prompt you for the available commands to give by voice. Wait for it to prompt you and then look at the screen to see the way it wants to command issued. I have entered way points en route while driving and the system steps you through fairly nicely, IMO.

Thanks guys. Ive tried all of these things and nothing seems to work. The system definitely recognizes what Im saying, but says its not available; strange. Ill bring it up with the dealer.

1) Enter vehicle.
2) Remove nav data SD card.
3) Press start button once. Allow CMU to fully boot. Command control over to Navigation and wait for system to tell you that Navigation is not installed.
4) Rest CMU: Simultaneously press and hold Back Button + Mute Button | Navigation Button. Wait for screen to go blank before releasing all three.
5) Allow system to restart/reboot without the nave data SD card inserted.
6) Press start button twice and wait for CMU to shut down fully.
7) Insert nav data SD card.
8) Start engine. Wait for CMU to fully boot. Command control over to Navigation and confirm that nav data is not being recognized by the system (no more navigation is not installed message).

From here, just start your voice command entry process by pressing the button on your steering wheel and waiting for voice prompt instructions. Use the list of Voice Commands available within the Mazda Connect System given to you by another member of this forum above. Or, just test the system using one of the commands you see on screen. But, you need to wait for the Prompt!

Hello,

I am having the same issue in my 2018 cx5. it continually tells me input address by voice not available, parked.. driving.. stopped.. engine running or stopped makes no difference. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

thank for your help.

1) Enter vehicle.
2) Remove nav data SD card.
3) Press start button once. Allow CMU to fully boot. Command control over to Navigation and wait for system to tell you that Navigation is not installed.
4) Rest CMU: Simultaneously press and hold Back Button + Mute Button | Navigation Button. Wait for screen to go blank before releasing all three.
5) Allow system to restart/reboot without the nave data SD card inserted.
6) Press start button twice and wait for CMU to shut down fully.
7) Insert nav data SD card.
8) Start engine. Wait for CMU to fully boot. Command control over to Navigation and confirm that nav data is not being recognized by the system (no more navigation is not installed message).

From here, just start your voice command entry process by pressing the button on your steering wheel and waiting for voice prompt instructions. Use the list of Voice Commands available within the Mazda Connect System given to you by another member of this forum above. Or, just test the system using one of the commands you see on screen. But, you need to wait for the Prompt!

So there all the CX5 's coming out of the dealership should have undergone this procedure so the NAV voice command will function properly?

So there all the CX5 's coming out of the dealership should have undergone this procedure so the NAV voice command will function properly?

No. That's simply to reset the CMU with a fresh uptake of the navdata, if you want to. Based on what the OP stated, it does not seem as if they are waiting for the command prompt which is required in order to get the system to acknowledge the input by voice. I use this feature all the time in my CX-9. It is especially nice when I want to enter a waypoint between where I am at present and my final destination while driving. Works great, but I have to wait for the system to prompt me before I can use voice inputs. It is not really difficult to use - in fact, it is rather easy. Not sure why this is not working for the OP, but they can reset the entire system with the above.

I know to wait for the prompt. Every other voice command seems to work. I can get to navigation, I can make a call, I can enter a specific FM or XM channel, etc. But I can't enter an address. Here's the sequence.

I press the voice prompt button on the steering wheel.
System says, "Please say a command, [BEEP]."

I say any of these -
"Address"
"Navigate to an address"
"Destination"
"Address 1 Main Street XYZ, New Jersey"
"Navigate to 1 Main Street XYZ, New Jersey"
"Destination 1 Main Street XYZ, New Jersey"

To each of these commands, the system replies - "Entering destination by voice is not currently available."

So it is clearly recognizing what I'm trying to do. It knows that I'm saying an address, but it just won't take it.

I've tried starting in the nav window, within sub-menus in nav window, from the home screen, from the audio window, etc. All with the same result.

Back