Suspension Creaking?

Hand brake. Just got it back from the Indy. New front struts, new vacuum pump, replaced rear rotors brakes and frozen caliper. Drove it for about 15 miles so far so good.
Which vacuum pump? This repair has to be costly ⋯ :(

The lower arm bushing is trash construction. A user posted a video here where he had clunking coming from his as well. Mine is all wrinkled and ripped, I'm pretty sure some of my suspension clunk is coming from it. I ordered new shock absorbers and when I have it apart i'm going to remove that bushing and fill the holes with polyurethane. Hardrace actually sells a replacement bushing (hardened rubber) for that one bushing only (literlally, not including motor mounts, that is THE only bushing they sell for the car) for the CX-5/3/6. It also comes included if you buy the Hardrace lower control arm. They already figured out it was garbage lol. Luckily it's easy to remove as the LCA just has a projection that this slides over.

2016841175811W7X58FL.jpg

Which vacuum pump? This repair has to be costly ⋯ :(

It’s bolts on to the battery side top of the engine. After looking at the new part I probably could have done it myself. It’s used for the brakes and air conditioning as well I think. The engine was making a rattling squeak sound at idle. It is mechanical and after a google search seems this is a common problem. Anyway my Indy had to order the pump from Mazda and it cost me $265.00 for the part and an hour of labor. The left strut was blown leaking oil so I had them replace both. Car feels tight again and at least no rattles or squeaks from the front end.

It’s bolts on to the battery side top of the engine. After looking at the new part I probably could have done it myself. It’s used for the brakes and air conditioning as well I think. The engine was making a rattling squeak sound at idle. It is mechanical and after a google search seems this is a common problem. Anyway my Indy had to order the pump from Mazda and it cost me $265.00 for the part and an hour of labor. The left strut was blown leaking oil so I had them replace both. Car feels tight again and at least no rattles or squeaks from the front end.
Still couldn't figure out which vacuum pump you're referring to as it must be located under the engine top cover. If you can tell us the part number that would be great for the person with similar issues.

Looks like you didn't replace your lower control arm bushing mentioned in the TSB while they're there?

Damn dude, should have said something here. I have one from my old engine sitting in storage unused lol.

Damn dude, should have said something here. I have one from my old engine sitting in storage unused lol.
What is the vacuum pump for? Is it under the engine top cover as I couldn't see any vacuum pump with the cover on around the area.

What is the vacuum pump for? Is it under the engine top cover as I couldn't see any vacuum pump with the cover on around the area.

Brake boosting. It's on the top right side of the engine. It's a round metal pump with a peace sign on the side, and like 2 or 3 ~5/8" barbs for hoses coming off.

Originally I thought it was that big round power brake "booster" which was having problems on early diesel CX-5's. It's the first time I saw people here having this vacuum pump problem and I'd like to know more details. Thanks to both of you for the info.

Last edited:
Back