Suspension Creaking?

MikeyPilot

:
2017 Mazda CX5
Has anyone noticed that their suspension creaks when they step on the brakes firmly? Or is it just my CX-5?

Yes. took mine in before the 36k. still creaks and still have funny noises randomly over large bumps. there were 2 other cx-5's with the same issue. cabin rattle with loud music too

My CX-5 suspension creaks also whenever I turned up into my driveway. Its been like this since I've owned it brand new. I plan to bring in it to the dealer before my warranty expires.

My CX-5 suspension creaks also whenever I turned up into my driveway. Its been like this since I've owned it brand new. I plan to bring in it to the dealer before my warranty expires.

There's a TSB for that. My driveway had the issue and finally early ~2016 they fixed it with new designed bushings

There's a TSB for that. My driveway had the issue and finally early ~2016 they fixed it with new designed bushings

Do you happen to have the TSB for that? I just noticed the issue recently

Do you happen to have the TSB for that? I just noticed the issue recently

Sorry I just saw this. Mine was TSB 02-001/15 - looks like that one has been superceded by this: https://www.mazdas247.com/members/Kedis82ZE8/02-010-16-3170.pdf

If you can, find a place near the dealership where it will exhibit the sound. I was fortunate there was a nearby steep driveway so I could show the tech. They wouldn't fix unless they tech actually heard it.

Last edited:
Just lost what appears to be my drivers side struts or bushings. Terrible squeaking noise and I can replicate it by opening the hood and pushing down on the bumper. Taking it in this morning.

Just lost what appears to be my drivers side struts or bushings. Terrible squeaking noise and I can replicate it by opening the hood and pushing down on the bumper. Taking it in this morning.
Kedis82ZE8's 2015 CX-5 is having the similar issue and there's a TSB for it. Hope you still have some warranty to cover it but most likely don't.

I already have that with a front bushing groan up in the front left. There is a TSB but I'm past 3/36 so will let it be. If I have a warranty I use it. If this rig already had 100k miles on it I would probably care less.... at 40K miles and up to three leaks/weeps (one cam cover, either engine/AT or both on the bottom) not acceptable to me. It took nearly 15 years and 120k miles for my rear main seal to start seeping on my old 5.0L '96 Explorer. Otherwise everything else was dry.

And here's the latest TSB 02-003/17 issued on 6/9/2017 which supersedes many previous TSBs:

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-27%20at%204.22.16%20PM.png

TSB

Yes I also have creaks when braking, I did not get a chance to take mine in so I am scheduling a dealer appointment since I need an oil change. I also have what sounds like a heat shield rattle that has been in twice for with no success of fixing. I am just turning 70,000 on my CX5 and it is acting like it has 170,000 miles and falling apart. Overall it has been a very cheaply made vehicle compared to all the Nissan’s I have owned in the past. Seats, mirrors, hood, doors actuators, engine rattles galore and multiple trips to the dealer telling me they fixed everything and nothing changes. Dealers is my area are rude and clueless about their product. I know you all love your CX5’s, but once I get the front end fixed I am trading it in for a non Mazda vehicle.

Yes I also have creaks when braking, I did not get a chance to take mine in so I am scheduling a dealer appointment since I need an oil change. I also have what sounds like a heat shield rattle that has been in twice for with no success of fixing. I am just turning 70,000 on my CX5 and it is acting like it has 170,000 miles and falling apart. Overall it has been a very cheaply made vehicle compared to all the Nissan’s I have owned in the past. Seats, mirrors, hood, doors actuators, engine rattles galore and multiple trips to the dealer telling me they fixed everything and nothing changes. Dealers is my area are rude and clueless about their product. I know you all love your CX5’s, but once I get the front end fixed I am trading it in for a non Mazda vehicle.
I'm curious how much it'd cost to fix these creaking noise from front lower arm bushing and knonking / squeaking noise front front shock absorber since the problems seem to be lingering from 2013 through 2016 MYs based on the TSB. Since a couple of parts have been revised, strut bearing、lower arm bushing, and a new part have been added, coil spring protector, for problem fixs, I got feeling my 2016 CX-5 eventually will develop the same problems with old parts and would like to know how much that will cost me. Please post the follow-up of your resolution after the dealer visit.

Bulletin No.: 02-003/17 said:
DESCRIPTION
To eliminate the noise, the following mass-production changes have been made:
1. The material and production method of the front strut bearing (A) has been changed. (CX-5 and Mazda6)
2. A protector has been installed onto the coil spring. (CX-5 and Mazda6)
3. The shape of the bump stopper (C) will be modified in the future. (Mazda6 only)
4. The shape of the coil spring has been changed. (CX-3 only)
5. Friction of the lower arm bushing has been reduced by adding a dry coating. (CX-5 and Mazda6).

Yes I love my Mazda.

Sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with yours. My 2014 is not far behind yours in miles (65k) and I would say I have none of these issues you describe. Seats are fine, engine is fine, buttons, etc. are fine. No rattles unless on extremely rough road (aka dirt roads with the washboard effect, or really bad paved roads).

Hood shake and mirror shake was known issue when 2014 was brand new with a TSB.

I do occasionally have some creak in the back when I brake, but it is so uncommon to happen I always think the issue has gone away and then I will hear it once again.

I'm curious how much it'd cost to fix these creaking noise from front lower arm bushing and knonking / squeaking noise front front shock absorber since the problems seem to be lingering from 2013 through 2016 MYs based on the TSB. Since a couple of parts have been revised, strut bearing、lower arm bushing, and a new part have been added, coil spring protector, for problem fixs, I got feeling my 2016 CX-5 eventually will develop the same problems with old parts and would like to know how much that will cost me. Please post the follow-up of your resolution after the dealer visit.

I called my dealer today and they can’t fit me in until May 24th. I ask why and the said they were backed up with recall repairs. The also said they would charge me $130.00 to diagnose whether it’s the struts or bushings. I told them I am bringing the TSB, but I am sure they will tell me tough crap because I am out of warranty. Never experienced this kind of treatment from any car dealer in the past. Not sure free oil changes are worth the hassel lol.

Yes I love my Mazda.

Sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with yours. My 2014 is not far behind yours in miles (65k) and I would say I have none of these issues you describe. Seats are fine, engine is fine, buttons, etc. are fine. No rattles unless on extremely rough road (aka dirt roads with the washboard effect, or really bad paved roads).

Hood shake and mirror shake was known issue when 2014 was brand new with a TSB.

I do occasionally have some creak in the back when I brake, but it is so uncommon to happen I always think the issue has gone away and then I will hear it once again.
I had the mirror and hood TSB’s done and the shakes came back. Anyway, glad yours has been bulletproof.

I had the mirror and hood TSB’s done and the shakes came back. Anyway, glad yours has been bulletproof.
Ah sorry to hear that.

The hood shake and mirror shake never bothered me so I never got them fixed. Perhaps is because I came from Jeeps beforehand. Everything shakes and rattles LOL.

Ah sorry to hear that.

The hood shake and mirror shake never bothered me so I never got them fixed. Perhaps is because I came from Jeeps beforehand. Everything shakes and rattles LOL.
Yea, I don’t even think about it anymore.

Ok so today I am driving along and the passenger rear caliper seizes with smoke bellowing out! TPM is also repeatedly going off as well. 69000 miles and the time has come to say goodbye once its fixed. I cant catch a break with this car.

Ok so today I am driving along and the passenger rear caliper seizes with smoke bellowing out! TPM is also repeatedly going off as well. 69000 miles and the time has come to say goodbye once it’s fixed. I can’t catch a break with this car.

Is this with the EPB or manual handbrake? From your year (2014), I would assume the manual handbrake. My 2016 with EPB did this although discs, pads and callipers all replaced under warranty. TPM goes off as tyre pressure too high on overheated wheel.

Last edited:
Is this with the EPB or manual handbrake? From your year (2014), I would assume the manual handbrake. My 2016 with EPB did this although discs, pads and callipers all replaced under warranty. TPM goes off as tyre pressure too high on overheated wheel.

Hand brake. Just got it back from the Indy. New front struts, new vacuum pump, replaced rear rotors brakes and frozen caliper. Drove it for about 15 miles so far so good.

Back