No more tachometer in the Heads Up Display (active driving display)

broten

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
I had my 2016 CX-9 GT in for continued warranty issues last week. 1. To fix a "clunk" and a "click" coming from the front end when going over small bumps and when coming to a stop at stop signs. 2. To fix the faulty infotainment system that keeps re-booting, going blank and because the reverse camera was not working about 20% of the time when you shift to reverse.

We picked up the car after 5 days of diagnostics and installing a completely new CMU, display screen and backup camera. No "clunks" or "clicks" were heard by the techs but were of course promptly heard when we left the dealership.

Anyway, they also did a "massive" software update on the CMU and infotainment system and there is no longer an option to select the tachometer in your heads up display. I called them to inquire and they told me Mazda is removing this option on all of it's cars with the active driving display. So beware, next time you have your car in for service you will be losing this feature. I was told it is too distracting to drivers.

Not sure I feel like this is something a car maker should be able to do to a customers car. Thoughts?

You are better off. Your car has an auto transmission. The likelihood you will actually need that displayed in the HUD at any given time is extremely low. Better off freeing up space for something more useful that is more prone to pulling your eyes off the road. I'm kind of surprised the tach hasn't just been completely eliminated in many cars' instrument panels.

I don't think I'm better off at all. Why do I want to look down at my dash board for the tach when I can just look straight ahead? Yes, I use my tach.

I don't think I'm better off at all. Why do I want to look down at my dash board for the tach when I can just look straight ahead? Yes, I use my tach.

Why do you need to look at your tach when you drive an automatic transmission vehicle? Occasionally? Ok--fine? Enough that a majority of drivers would need or want it in the HUD? No.

You may look at it--but why? Because it's there? I'd argue that's distracting.

I'm not going to argue with you over my car preferences. They took something from my car which was original equipment. I'm not okay with that. That would be the main bullet point of the story.

I'm not going to argue with you over my car preferences. They took something from my car which was original equipment. I'm not okay with that. That would be the main bullet point of the story.

So in your OP, when you said "Thoughts?" what you really meant was only for people to respond with their opinions that matched yours? Is that the take away here?

I was wondering why my '18 didn't have it when I swore I had seen it on reviews of the 2016's.

I had my 2016 CX-9 GT in for continued warranty issues last week. 1. To fix a "clunk" and a "click" coming from the front end when going over small bumps and when coming to a stop at stop signs. 2. To fix the faulty infotainment system that keeps re-booting, going blank and because the reverse camera was not working about 20% of the time when you shift to reverse.

We picked up the car after 5 days of diagnostics and installing a completely new CMU, display screen and backup camera. No "clunks" or "clicks" were heard by the techs but were of course promptly heard when we left the dealership.

Anyway, they also did a "massive" software update on the CMU and infotainment system and there is no longer an option to select the tachometer in your heads up display. I called them to inquire and they told me Mazda is removing this option on all of it's cars with the active driving display. So beware, next time you have your car in for service you will be losing this feature. I was told it is too distracting to drivers.

Not sure I feel like this is something a car maker should be able to do to a customers car. Thoughts?

It was a safety issue that Mazda engineers thought of in removing the tach info on the HUD from which they indicated was "distracting"...personally I didn't care for the tach info and when I test drove the CX9 (a 2016 model) with the tach on HUD I just disabled it. If you are complaining about it (based from your succeeding posts) then escalate it to Mazda corp though I doubt they'll listen to you. If you are simply inquiring about others' thoughts then here you go...

Not sure what your intentions were in posting this and maybe hoping to get a resolution from forums like this but this is not the place as in my experience you mostly get rants, complaints, feedback, opinions and some sort of relevant info only from forums. If you really want issues fixed then either bring it up with your local dealer or better yet go to Mazda corp

Last edited:
I think it was mostly venting and seeing how others felt.

Interestingly enough I took the car on a road trip this morning. The HUD is now packed with even more information that it was previously, so I hardly doubt it was about the "distracting" nature of the tach and more to do with what information they wanted to fit in the display. At one point I had Nav directions with lane suggestions, blind spot monitor warning, radar cruise information, speed limit info, lane departure lines and current speed in the HUD.

It's still a great car that delivers the best bang for the buck out there. I may actually buy a second to replace my Mazda 6, however I've been dealing with some of the same warranty issues for a year now. The unauthorized removal of my coveted tach hit a raw nerve this weekend. Haha.

I've never seen any Tach info on my HUD....

As for the clicking and clunk noises, I have the same issue. Easy to replicate when you drive slowly, stop , shift into R, and accelerate slightly. I'm going to make sure I ride with a tech before giving it to them.

What version of the software are you running? I know on mine the option was removed, or rather, hidden from the menu. The tachometer is still there. If you were lucky enough to have it saved to your seat memory. I knew ahead of time and went ahead and set Memory #2 with the Tach On and Memory #1 with the Tach Off before I took my car for the software update. What I would recommend is first trying both memories to see if it was saved. If that doesn't work, do the same thing using your other key fob. Good luck.

Back