Window switches on 2018

Missing features for US CX-5:

1. One-touch open/close non-driver power windows with illuminated switches.
2. Side-view camera.
3. Backup Camera with trajectory dynamic guidelines.
4. Front and rear parking sensors integrated with backup camera on infotainment screen.
5. Power folding outside rear-view mirrors.
6. CD/DVD player.
7. Center dash vents open/close dial control.
8. Adaptive LED Headlights - ALH.
9. Rear fog light.
10. Front and rear fog light indicators in instrument cluster.
11. Glove compartment light.
12. Foot area courtesy lights.
13. Paddle shifters.
14. SCBS Forward/Reverse.
15. i-stop.
16. i-ELOOP.

Thanks yrwei52. Just to clarify, my intention was those features missing in the US CX-5 that are found in the CX-5s from other regions. Not trying to compare with other makes/models, but your list is inspiring.

You have Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) which is that and is available on our 2nd from top of range (GT). ALH is on our top spec Akera and it it provides individual control of several LEDs allows precise adjustment of the lighting pattern. The system automatically broadens visibility at low speeds, shapes the high beam to help avoid dazzling other drivers and raises beam height at highway speeds to extend vision area.

Thanks for explaining. Very good info!

I think we have ALH, if what you mean is the lights changing direction in association with steering wheel movement / car's traveling direction, or ALH means more than that?

Ah, power folding mirrors of course. Didn't realize we're so behind!
You have Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) which is that and is available on our 2nd from top of range (GT). ALH is on our top spec Akera and it it provides individual control of several LEDs allows precise adjustment of the lighting pattern. The system automatically broadens visibility at low speeds, shapes the high beam to help avoid dazzling other drivers and raises beam height at highway speeds to extend vision area.
Yep, ALH is much more advanced adaptive LED headlights with array of LEDs and full electronic control without any moving parts like AFS.

Missing features for US CX-5:

2. Side-view camera.
3. Backup Camera with trajectory dynamic guidelines.
4. Front and rear parking sensors integrated with backup camera on infotainment screen.
5. Power folding outside rear-view mirrors.
6. CD/DVD player.
8. Adaptive LED Headlights - ALH.
9. Rear fog light.
10. Front and rear fog light indicators in instrument cluster.
13. Paddle shifters.
14. SCBS Forward/Reverse.
15. i-stop.
16. i-ELOOP.

I bought the top of the range 17 with the safety pack which includes the SCBS F&R and the ALH headlights as well as a few other things. Including that package and soul red paint I paid 35k which equates to about $45k. The specs are decided by the local marketing companies (US Operations for you) and they will compare the price point of equivalent vehicles because for many people that is the deciding factor. Some of those items are legislative and we don’t get paddle shifters either and the illumination is an accessory kit that you can buy and add if it means a lot to you. A little addition to the list is that the folding mirrors have a three way switch that has a centre fold on door lock position. It’s the same with most makes though, just browse the handbook and see how many “where fitted” goodies there are.

Yep, ALH is much more advanced adaptive LED headlights with array of LEDs and full electronic control without any moving parts like AFS.

This YouTube clip doesn’t do them justice. They are far more fluid and if a car moves from left to right in front of you they do so in a perfectly formed wave of dipped beam. The BMW and Audi drivers that often don’t dip because they hold superiority over virtually all other brands pay attention when you give the a brief taste of what they will get if they don’t do the decent thing. When they automatically go to main beam, they fade up but when they see a car they dip instantly and on some roads, say a sweeping curve, one headlight may stay dipped for a car you are following while the other does its Mexican Wave for vehicles coming the opposite way. It’s all very entertaining to observe and the power of them is astonishing.

This YouTube clip doesn’t do them justice. They are far more fluid and if a car moves from left to right in front of you they do so in a perfectly formed wave of dipped beam. The BMW and Audi drivers that often don’t dip because they hold superiority over virtually all other brands pay attention when you give the a brief taste of what they will get if they don’t do the decent thing. When they automatically go to main beam, they fade up but when they see a car they dip instantly and on some roads, say a sweeping curve, one headlight may stay dipped for a car you are following while the other does its Mexican Wave for vehicles coming the opposite way. It’s all very entertaining to observe and the power of them is astonishing.

Thanks yrwei52 again for the long list and the ALH video, and Anchorman for the vivid description! As the list is longer than I thought I decided to comb through all non-US Mazda websites, and guess what, looks like I have to add Pedestrian Detection to the list. (Sighting of the feature in the Mazda Canada site only, so far, but I may not be thorough enough with the UK/Euro/Australia spec sheets... but one thing for sure it's not available in the US!)

⋯ A little addition to the list is that the folding mirrors have a three way switch that has a centre fold on door lock position.
I guess Im a little confused here. Are you saying therss a switch position which can do auto-folding whenever you lock the door? I thought thiss an included function for power folding side mirrors. A picture of the switch would be really appreciated.

Yeah I definitely blame on Mazda North American Operations who dont bring in everything Mazda actually got. Price is not the excuse as those missing features can be packaged as a luxury package option and let customers to decide.

And I definitely aware that the out-of-date US regulations have prevented auto makers to bring in the ALH even though Toyota and Audi had filed the petition several years ago to no avail.

Thanks yrwei52 again for the long list and the ALH video, and Anchorman for the vivid description! As the list is longer than I thought I decided to comb through all non-US Mazda websites, and guess what, looks like I have to add Pedestrian Detection to the list. (Sighting of the feature in the Mazda Canada site only, so far, but I may not be thorough enough with the UK/Euro/Australia spec sheets... but one thing for sure it's not available in the US!)
Yes Mazda Canada has been doing much better job offering better features to the customers. They have memory seat and power passenger seat standard for 2016.5 CX-5 GT. Now for 2018 they have Pedestrian Detection and paddle shifter. Not to mention they also got unlimited mileage on powertrain warranty!

Well I guess if the entire module is self contained, he could buy one. Trouble is it would be nice on a sale or return business. All four switches on mine are auto up and down and illuminated so to bring it to that standard it would need them all. Mazda wont pay, thats the US spec and just like I cant have the drive away locking, its tough luck.

So its possible to just replace all the switches to illuminated auto open close? With minor modification of wirings without replacing the motors?

This YouTube clip doesnt do them justice. They are far more fluid and if a car moves from left to right in front of you they do so in a perfectly formed wave of dipped beam. The BMW and Audi drivers that often dont dip because they hold superiority over virtually all other brands pay attention when you give the a brief taste of what they will get if they dont do the decent thing. When they automatically go to main beam, they fade up but when they see a car they dip instantly and on some roads, say a sweeping curve, one headlight may stay dipped for a car you are following while the other does its Mexican Wave for vehicles coming the opposite way. Its all very entertaining to observe and the power of them is astonishing.
I got feeling that your ALH has definitely improved over the older ALH showed on the YouTube. I want the ALH but unfortunately the DOT had shot down the petition Toyota and Audi filed several years ago.

Yeah thanks for your detailed description on ALH and now I really want the ALH ⋯

2-stage power window switch is for one-touch open-close function. The first stage position either you push-down or pull-up the rocker switch is acting as non-one-touch mode, once you past resistance to the second stage, it activates one-touch function.

Most simply call that auto up/down. Our 2010 Camry Hybrid has that on all 4 windows. The buttons are also all illuminated.

Before buying my 6, and before coming to this site, I was not aware of all the differences between Mazda's from one country/market, to another.
I find it quite amazing just to read the differences between even the Canadian cars versus the U.S. cars. I thought they'd be the same.
When I bought my 2017 M6, there were two optional packages available, Premium and Tech. The U.S. only had one optional Pack.
Even something silly like the trunk lid spoiler was an accessory in Canada, but inclusive with the U.S. GT model.
I don't have a CX-5, but the 6 is very similar in terms of options and features and layout.
My car has most of the stuff listed that is missing in the U.S. version, like the 4 illuminated auto window switches and stuff.
The only options not on this car that I wish it had is A) power folding outside mirrors, and B) auto window down feature using the FOB.
Even my 15 year old Pathfinder lets me lower the windows using my FOB. No excuse not to have this feature.
On the plus side, one little feature that was a surprise: The heads up display (HUD) will move up or down according to the memory seat pre-sets.
My wife is quite a bit shorter than me, so the seat settings for us are at the opposite ends of the scale. The HUD will move up or down, matching the memory button pre-set.
We don't have to go into the touch screen to raise or lower the HUD for either one of us. Neat stuff.
It's only been 6 weeks since I took delivery, and I haven't driven it much (crappy snowy cold weather), but I am very pleased with it so far.
We will be heading down to Florida in a few weeks, and hibernating there until April.
Looking forward to cruising the interstates with the new car.

So its possible to just replace all the switches to illuminated auto open close? With minor modification of wirings without replacing the motors?

If you want to just get illumination then possibly will work. For auto up/down, requires different motor/programming I believe

Last edited:
The only options not on this car that I wish it had is A) power folding outside mirrors, and B) auto window down feature using the FOB.
Even my 15 year old Pathfinder lets me lower the windows using my FOB. No excuse not to have this feature.

Most vehicles today don't have this option/feature so think you are being a bit harsh.

Last edited:
Most vehicles today don't have this option/feature so think you are being a bit harsh.

If it came across as being a bit harsh, it wasn't meant to be.
The folding mirrors is a 'would be nice to have' feature. My garage is narrow, and I have to fold the mirrors in each time to park it.

The auto window down thing with the fob however is something that has been around for years, and most manufacturers have this feature on even their base models.
Both my 2006 Altima and 2002 Pathfinder had it. I don't see any technical reason why Mazda doesn't have it. It's not a game breaker though.
It's just nice to be able to remotely open the windows on a hot day to let the warm air out before getting in the car. That's all. Cheers.

Controlling windows by fob is not a common feature here. Primarily reserved for luxury cars.

As for folding mirrors, they are becoming common place here in recent times

It will be interesting to see how many features that are currently available in other world markets, will eventually make it to our US Cx-5s before the end of its production cycle. I think a few easy adds will be the power-folding mirrors and around view monitor.

I'm still bummed that Mazda didn't offer the all-auto power windows with illuminated switches on at least the Grand Touring. It's a glaring omission considering the 6 already has it standard. They were definitely pinching pennies.

It will be interesting to see how many features that are currently available in other world markets, will eventually make it to our US Cx-5s before the end of its production cycle. I think a few easy adds will be the power-folding mirrors and around view monitor.

I'm still bummed that Mazda didn't offer the all-auto power windows with illuminated switches on at least the Grand Touring. It's a glaring omission considering the 6 already has it standard. They were definitely pinching pennies.
Actually US Mazda6 has many features where US CX-5 are missing, including a lid for dash cubby and covered foot rest:

13. Paddle shifters.
16. i-ELOOP.

Back to 2016/2016.5 MY, Mazda6 had already offered memory seat、power passenger seat、overhead ambient lighting、LED interior lighting、and 11-speaker Bose with 2 additional dash tweeters which were all missing in CX-5!

Back