Emergency brake issues

P5freek

:
2002 Protege5
So I know my brakes all the way around are low, when I use my Ebrake I can still move my car some if i dont leave it in gear (manual). Would worn rear pads be the culprit or is something out of adjustment? I can pull my E brake handle all the way up before I have E brakes. I dont see any E brake pads on rock auto for the car (have not done brakes yet on the car). Am I on the right track or am I missing something here?

Thanks

There is no separate Ebrake pads. It's just the rear brake pads.

I'm pretty sure the Ebrakes should still grab until the brake pads are completely worn.

Try sitting in the car, push the brake pedal, then pump the Ebrake handle about 50 time (push the button in so you don't have to hear all the clicking). That should adjust the brakes for you.

If it doesn't work, your Ebrakes may have run out of adjustment and you may need new pads.

When you order your brake pads get the hardware with them. Your old ones are probably all rusty and worn out.

You can check the pad thickness without taking them apart. Don't wear them down to the metal or you will wreck your rotors.

Screenshot_2017-12-27-14-15-33.png

Thaks for the info, i know the pads are worn, so my assumption was correct, worn pads = no e brake lol, will i have to adjust the e brake when I install new pads?

You may end up opening a big can of worms.
This is what my rear brake piston looked like. It was so rusty it wouldn't retract.

Screenshot_2017-09-05-22-46-13.png

ill just buy new ones if I had to, but they don't look like that from when I had the tires off and inspected the breaks

I just scraped the rust off and managed to get them to retract... I'm a cheap ass.

Back