Vibration - rotors or tires?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
This is something new: After changing the rear differential fluid (dealer replaced) I had to go on a 5 hr. drive. When I drive at or above 65 mph my steering wheel vibrates with the vibration increasing with speed of the vehicle.

At lower speed - nothing. When braking not abruptly (emergency) but coming to a stop - nothing, no vibration.

I am leaning towards tire balancing but the caveat is my tires were balanced relatively recently (about 3 weeks back @ Costco warehouse). The worst case would be wrapped rotors but in which case every dealership is charging very heavily and saying re-surface may not work due to allowed depth and there's no way to figure out which axle. Also, they are saying even if re-surfaced, I must opt for new pads although my current pads have 50% life remaining (they confirmed).

At this point - not sure what I should do?

Sounds like tire balance, didn't notice this before the dealer visit?? Maybe check lug nut tightness, or maybe a wheel weight fell off. Could also be your tires weren't balanced properly by Costco.

Most likely balance. Most rotor problems show up when you're braking, not cruising.
Did you drive >65 any time after the balancing and before the fluid change? If not, there's no reason to correlate the vibration with the fluid change.
I'd have the balance rechecked at someplace other than Costco.

Most likely balance. Most rotor problems show up when you're braking, not cruising.
Did you drive >65 any time after the balancing and before the fluid change? If not, there's no reason to correlate the vibration with the fluid change.
I'd have the balance rechecked at someplace other than Costco.

That's the issue between balancing and rear diff. change did not really drive long distance. Anyways just came back from Costco. They re-balanced all tires and the notes read:

Cust. complain: Car shake noticed at high cruising speed.
Re-balanced all 4 tires / 100% balance was off / Stick residue visible / no weights / Possible cold weather or / manually or /accidental tear off. No rotation performed.
Trend depth 5/32 remain / tire pressure as per specification / no reset request to be made to customer.
Wheel condition excellent, zero scratches/dents.
Re-torque request at 25 miles.

That's the issue between balancing and rear diff. change did not really drive long distance. Anyways just came back from Costco. They re-balanced all tires and the notes read:

Cust. complain: Car shake noticed at high cruising speed.
Re-balanced all 4 tires / 100% balance was off / Stick residue visible / no weights / Possible cold weather or / manually or /accidental tear off. No rotation performed.
Trend depth 5/32 remain / tire pressure as per specification / no reset request to be made to customer.
Wheel condition excellent, zero scratches/dents.
Re-torque request at 25 miles.

And..............

Yep, lost some weights. It's too much to ask the technician to wipe the wheel surface with brake clean or alcohol before sticking the weight on. Who does that anymore anyway...

Yep, lost some weights. It's too much to ask the technician to wipe the wheel surface with brake clean or alcohol before sticking the weight on. Who does that anymore anyway...
I can attest my Discount Tire is doing this way because Im always watching ⋯ :)

Thread: Closed.

Guys: Thank you! I went out for long drive thrice this week and the re-balancing of the tires resolved the problem.

This is something new: After changing the rear differential fluid (dealer replaced) I had to go on a 5 hr. drive. When I drive at or above 65 mph my steering wheel vibrates with the vibration increasing with speed of the vehicle.

At lower speed - nothing. When braking not abruptly (emergency) but coming to a stop - nothing, no vibration.

I am leaning towards tire balancing but the caveat is my tires were balanced relatively recently (about 3 weeks back @ Costco warehouse). The worst case would be wrapped rotors but in which case every dealership is charging very heavily and saying re-surface may not work due to allowed depth and there's no way to figure out which axle. Also, they are saying even if re-surfaced, I must opt for new pads although my current pads have 50% life remaining (they confirmed).

At this point - not sure what I should do?

Having the same problem with my 2 wk old GS FWD. Posted in the lounge:

Picked up my new CX-5 GS FWD 2 weeks ago and have noticed this issue. I first noticed it on the test drive on the freeway but thought it was the road. Then on the 60 miles trip home (shopped out of area for best deal).

A few freeway trips later and I've concluded it's a problem. Once I get above 55 mph, I get vibration in the steering wheel, seat and I can feel it in the foot pedals ie. accelerator. I googled it and sounds like the wheels need to be balanced. Not sure if its an alignment problem as it does not pull to either side, drives perfectly straight. Speeds under 55 it drives just fine, no vibration.

Anyone else ever had this problem? How does this happen on a brand new car? I'm assuming a Mazda dealer will fix it under warranty?

Having the same problem with my 2 wk old GS FWD. Posted in the lounge:

Picked up my new CX-5 GS FWD 2 weeks ago and have noticed this issue. I first noticed it on the test drive on the freeway but thought it was the road. Then on the 60 miles trip home (shopped out of area for best deal).

A few freeway trips later and I've concluded it's a problem. Once I get above 55 mph, I get vibration in the steering wheel, seat and I can feel it in the foot pedals ie. accelerator. I googled it and sounds like the wheels need to be balanced. Not sure if its an alignment problem as it does not pull to either side, drives perfectly straight. Speeds under 55 it drives just fine, no vibration.

Anyone else ever had this problem? How does this happen on a brand new car? I'm assuming a Mazda dealer will fix it under warranty?

How many times are you going to post this issue??

A wheel is out of balance. Simple. Wheelbalance weight came off most likely. It happens sometimes.

You never had a wheel out of balance before? Because what you describe is pretty well textbook for that.

No big deal. Dealer will fix it. Or local tyre place if dealer is too far away. Get it fixed and move on.

Back